home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Value of used drivetrain
Posted by: 1STLM ()
Date: December 25, 2017 06:40AM

Would anyone care to venture a guess on the value of a 66 turbo drivetrain. I am thinking it may not be a bad thing to have spare parts around. The one I am considering has been in a salvage yard for a few years and it would be a shame if it was scrapped. It is probably stock, is still in the car, probably a posi diff, missing the turbo and carb, unknown if the motor is stuck at this point. Would the drivetrain gears get rusting above the oil level from sitting? Thanks

Brice

66 Corsa Turbo Convertible

Bozeman, Montana

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Value of used drivetrain
Posted by: roger65180 ()
Date: December 25, 2017 06:54AM

I bet the transaxel is still in very good shape , it takes many years and no protection meaning sitting on the ground . the engine is the unknown most likely dropped valve seat

Roger R
Madison Wi
62 ct pg turbo
65intercooled 180 4sp,autocrosser
62 Rampy

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: December 25, 2017 08:07AM

If the powertrain was left in the open on the ground there is every possibility that the inside of the gearbox will be rusty above the lube level. I just had one brought into the shop exactly in that condition.

If covered outside by a tarp/plastic the same thing happens, condensation developes inside. The engine is subject to the same ravages by nature. Water/condensation into the intake ports will erode the aluminum combustion chamber area. I have seen seat rings completely exposed by corrosion, aluminum is gone and ring is just sitting there.

Not trying to rain on your parade Brice, look it over well before putting very much money on it. There are undoubtedly some small parts still usable, dist/turbo stand/alt mount and maybe JUST maybe the crank after you manhandle the heads off the studs.

OH, mice can make interesting issues too. Good luck

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: December 25, 2017 08:29AM

Brice and all: I missed the 'still in car' part of your original post. Please disregard comments about being stored on ground/covered by tarp. Open engine may still be suspect but the storage above ground helps to save some of the parts. I am sorry I read too quickly.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: December 25, 2017 10:32AM

Buy it....be like Columbus ,,, take a chance smiling smiley

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: December 25, 2017 11:58AM

Even if the drivetrain was in the car - if it sat outside for years there is a chance you'll have rust problems with the internals.

Determine what you want to pay based on the unknown and stick to it.

Difficult to walk away, but worse to pay too much for a boat anchor.

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: December 25, 2017 12:18PM

Also worth mentioning - The engine takes up a lot less room if you leave it together. Drain all fluids and stand it on end. If you take it all apart, it takes up double the room. If you do buy it, consider pulling the spark plugs and looking (small inspection camera) into each cylinder to inspect the valves/seats. if they all seem intact, shoot some oil into each cylinder and reinstall the plugs. Remove external sheet metal, set it in a corner and put a plastic bag over it! That way, it will be ready for your spouse or kids to give away after you pass! or for you to rebuild down the road!

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: December 25, 2017 12:58PM

I forget to add "and have a Merry Christmas, too!

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: 1STLM ()
Date: December 25, 2017 04:29PM

Thanks guys and no worries Steve. I appreciate the opinions. Not only is the drivetrain still in the car, with the deck lid in place, but the only engine openings are at the heads with the intake gone, besides the distributor hole since I removed and bought it last summer. I may give the guy a call to see if any history is known.
Merry Christmas to you all as well.

Brice

66 Corsa Turbo Convertible

Bozeman, Montana

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: December 25, 2017 05:23PM

You have a much better chance of less damage if the power train was left in the car. If left outside in the open they get trashed in a very short time.

Lee J

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.