home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
I am coming to the USA!
Posted by: bertle ()
Date: December 22, 2017 09:51AM

Well at 43 years old and a long time American car fan and a corvair owner I am finally crossing the pond! I have had to make good on my promise to take the kids to Orlando so we will be over at Easter. I hope to get a bit of vair spotting in but the burning question in my family at the moment is do we need to pay $500 to heat the pool at the villa in mid April? Anyone in the area with advice would be gratefully received.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I am coming to the USA!
Posted by: Pedigo ()
Date: December 22, 2017 11:04AM

Is your pool coal-fired?drinking smiley

Posted by: 65CrownV8 ()
Date: December 22, 2017 11:05AM

Depends on how cold natured you are.... We typically get into our pool in late April, with no heat. Once in, you get accustomed to the temperature quickly, and there isn't a problem.

George Jones - East Orlando, FL
'65 Monza V8 Convertible - 355/4-spd Posi
'66 Monza Coupe - 95/PG
'67 Monza Coupe 140/4-spd/Posi, A/C
COrvaiR Society of America (CORSA), Central Florida Corvair Club, Tidewater Corvair Club, V8 Registry

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: December 22, 2017 11:33AM

I'm just south of St. Augustine for the month, and the house I rented doesn't have a heated pool, but the association does. So I walk 4 blocks to the clubhouse and have the pool, whirlpool, and other activities.

Disney is 1½ hours, but we made the trip with the grandkids a few days ago.

My rule on pool temps is when the water hits 70ºF, Nicer when it is about 85 or so. I swim. I've had a pool for all but one of the last 36 years.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: TIBCO ()
Date: December 23, 2017 09:36AM

As others have said, depends on your tolerance for cooler water. In April, the air temps will be quite pleasant during the day, more like summer to you. I grew up in Sarasota just south of Orlando. By April we were swimming in the Gulf of Mexico, but still found the Atlantic on the other coast to be a bit cool. I spent a week in Brighton, on the southern coast of England one June and found the water way too cold for my liking, but the locals didn't seem to mind much, so it really comes down to your personal preference.

Your problem is, it takes a long time to heat a pool. If you don't pay the 500 in advance, you probably won't be there long enough to get much use out of the heated pool.

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY
CORSA, CKCE
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Posted by: Allan Lacki ()
Date: December 23, 2017 10:49AM

Hi Bertle! Welcome to the USA and I hope you have a lot of fun!

Posted by: curt ()
Date: December 23, 2017 12:12PM

We were in FL. back in the 1970's with our grade school kids, they swam in cold water, lips turned blue, had chattering teeth and denied they were cold. There was so much to do in Disney-infested-areas, swimming became a minor thing.

Posted by: bertle ()
Date: December 23, 2017 11:51PM

Well we have booked the holiday, with the pool heating. I didn't want to chance it as the kids love time in the pool and I don't intend to spend the entire holiday in the parks. So any vair related events in the area in April?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.