home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Found a new use for an old fan bearing
Posted by: Freeman ()
Date: December 21, 2017 05:51PM

While rebuilding my front suspension I noticed that the lower control arm bushing support was slightly collapsed from a prior bearing install. I kept trying to figure out I was going to spread the support back out when I noticed beneath the press was a fan bearing that I had recently removed and though, this could actually solve my problem.

I placed the bearing on the support and applied pressure with the press and after a couple of cycles, success. Worked well enough that I was now able to slip in the Clark's bushing install tool with no effort. smoking smiley

Freeman
Rowlett, TX
62 Monza "AirVair"

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Found a new use for an old fan bearing
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 21, 2017 05:53PM

Great Tip!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: December 22, 2017 03:49AM

You can't have too many round things laying around the press area.
Unfortunately sockets seem to be the right size a lot of times. I've never had one explode but I try to limit the force I put on them. Cast iron pipe and unions are my weapon of choice if they'll do it.
I made a U-shaped spacer to hold the control arm apart when pressing in a bushing, I'm not sure what other people do.
Crankshaft gears are especially scary, I've gone on to another crankshaft when they're bad. My previous machinist has a mechanical press made with a truck differential, he can turn it from a distance and it's like a gunshot when it lets loose.
Now that rebuild parts for Early axles are available I usually just heat them up to remove which ruins the little barrels. Having the press way extended and applying a lot of force is hard on the frame, I'd like to weld some additional gussets on top sometime.
I've just sort of come up with my own press stuff as needed, wish I could have gotten training somehow. I would love to read more press discussion.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: December 22, 2017 11:26AM

Jim
Cast iron pipe and unions are my weapon of choice if they'll do it.

I hope you mean "black iron", which is malleable iron. Cast iron is very brittle, trust me!winking smiley

I also have made many press helpers out of black iron and galvanized pipe and have boxes of round objects. Also several fan bearings sitting on my press, along with more pipe objects. It is amazing an exhaust adapter can support the a-arm while pressing ball joints. They really are not in very tight, or that thin wall tubing would crush quick.thumbs up

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.