home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Hood pin placement
Posted by: Bobdudeman ()
Date: December 21, 2017 10:38AM

Hey everybody. I'm looking for photos of good Hood pin placement for ideas for 66 Corvair. That includes hood and trunk. Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hood pin placement
Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: December 21, 2017 01:52PM

In my personal opinion, the best location for hood pins is on someone else's vehicle. I don't care for them myself.

With that said, I would imagine a good place to locate them would be in place of the rubber bumpers where the hood and trunk rest. Use the same hole the bumpers attach then punch holes in the rubber bumpers and slide them over the hood pins to maintain the resting height.

1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Date: December 21, 2017 02:03PM

Rather than hood pins, you might want to take a look at Quik-Latch. I used them on a reverse-opening Studebaker Hawk fiberglass hood and they worked great. I was even able to mount a Quik-Latch on the end of the hood props that locked the hood in the open position...no wind worries.

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: December 21, 2017 03:59PM

For retention of racing hood or decklids, hood pins work fine. The number of front hood pins - those on the leading edge of the hood - depends on the strength of the hood. I originally installed a pair on the front - About half the way from the edge to the center on both sides. Uh no, the center was lifting at speed. I now have four and they are solid. I also have a pair at the rear of the hood. On the decklid, I used four, basically, in the corners. I use slide-locks that latch around aluminum pins.

Number one rule for hood pins: When the hood/decklid goes on, the pins (or locks) are inserted/latched immediately. Less flying off if this rule is followed.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Date: December 21, 2017 04:38PM

Like Seth, I found that the center of my fiberglass hood was lifting at speed, so I installed a center hood pin.

Attachments:
Date: December 21, 2017 05:12PM

Thanks guys. I know they are not for everyone.this will be a dedicated track car. I would rather use pins all around. This is not fancy,but purpose built. Just looking to see how the multiple ones have been mounted. Any pics?

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: December 21, 2017 06:45PM

Six seem to be the magic number for Fiberglass of gutted steel Hood.

Attachments:
Date: December 22, 2017 07:10AM

Thanks guys. Is anybody show thanks guys is anybody show if they made custom plates to mount them underneath the hood the actual frame of the car please don't look like they are mounted to just the inner lip of the body

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: December 22, 2017 11:43AM

Sure - Front mounts on my race car. inner front mounts are via plates bolted under the front lip. I use aluminum pins with slider locks.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Attachments:

Date: December 26, 2017 04:38AM

Hey thanks,. I was wondering about bolting plates. That's a great idea.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.