home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
List of CK-4 approvals
Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: December 20, 2017 06:15AM

I'me being asked frequently to comment on the CK-4 oils currently replacing the CJ-4 and CI-4 on the market.

The original CK-4 spec oil specification does not meet a FORD test for valve train wear. I do not know the conditions of that test, but it is more stringent than those used in the CK-4 tests. This may or may not be an issue for us, but at least it is an issue for some valve trains.

Slowly but surely, the oil manufacturers are improving over the original specs and meeting the higher protection valve train requirements of Ford.

This is a list of the oils meeting FORD specs as of this moment.

FORD WSS-M2C171-F1 spec oils

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: List of CK-4 approvals
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: December 20, 2017 08:35AM

Richard, thank-you for the wealth of information and knowledge that you bring to/and share with the forum ! ! ! thumbs upthumbs up
We truly are grateful.smiling smileysmiling bouncing smiley

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Date: April 02, 2018 04:01PM

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: April 02, 2018 10:53PM

Wow. No Delo after all these years!

Posted by: SoBo ()
Date: April 03, 2018 12:22AM

Was glad to see Rotella T5 on the list which I've been getting from Walmart. Interestingly the Shell website only shows Ford WSS-M2C171-F1 approval for 15W-40, not 10W-30 (which is what I use). I hope their website is wrong.

http://rotella.shell.com/products/t5.html

It's the opposite for the Rotella T4 product: the 10W-30 is shown as having approval but not the 15W-40.

http://rotella.shell.com/products/rotella-triple-protection.html

For the remainder of 2018 there is a $7.00 per gallon rebate on the Rotella T5 [Limit 4 rebates per person, household or address (email and physical)]:

http://rotella.shell.com/coupons-rebates-and-sweepstakes/better-fuel-economy-meets-better-wallet-economy.html#iframe=L2RpeS9uYXRpb25hbDE4Lw==

A Rotella T4 rebate runs through May 31st 2018 - $5.00 per 2.5-gallon bottle, $10.00 per 5-gallon pail [limit 2 rebates]:

http://rotella.shell.com/coupons-rebates-and-sweepstakes/shell-rotella-t4-triple-protection.html#iframe=L0RJWS9UNC8=

Dave
Baltimore, MD
65 Monza Convertible 110/4-Speed

Date: April 05, 2018 04:14PM

Keeping lists, web sites, and labels up to date is a major headache. Labels are printed by the tens of thousands, then product is distributed and stored in different places. I've found oils on store shelves that is more than 15 years old.

I also had an oil certified by Mack/Volvo, and updated my site and labels, but it took Mack 18 months to update their publication. (and the approval is only 2 years at a time).

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair

Posted by: Bob Helt ()
Date: April 05, 2018 06:31PM

Richard1'

Not trying to be argumentative.

But isn't true that the CK-4 spec is actually very similar to the Ford spec and that Ford's test did NOT use a CK-4 spec oil?????

Didn't Ford run their test using a CK-4/SN spec oil that is known to have reduced valve train protection?

Bob Helt

Date: April 06, 2018 04:56PM

Not trying to be argumentative.

But isn't true that the CK-4 spec is actually very similar to the Ford spec and that Ford's test did NOT use a CK-4 spec oil?????

Didn't Ford run their test using a CK-4/SN spec oil that is known to have reduced valve train protection?

Bob Helt

At the end of many years of discussion and testing different formulas in different test engines and stands, the specs are supposed to all align. In this case, Ford lost in getting their valve train test included in the CK-4, so announced that any oil for a Ford had to meet their spec as well. In cases like this, it is in the interest of all blenders to meet all possible specs, so most have.

All the ones on this list now pass Ford, as well as various other tests. Sort of have to pull up each spec to see what it passes or claims to pass.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.