home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Who has dipped their corvair body? What did you learn?
Posted by: Pedigo ()
Date: December 19, 2017 08:02PM

A total pipe dream for me,yet may become an option as restorations progress throughout my life cycle.
Understanding that our beloved unibodies sometimes (often) rust from the inside-out,I've been consumed with the idea that "doing it right" begins with a bath.
Anyone can get the exterior prepped and painted. What good is it if the sheetmetal continues to rot in the hidden hollows from underneath?

Naturally,secrets cost money and I'd imagine it might be a crap-shoot as to what one discovers post-bath. A gamble for sure.
That being said,the allure of virgin sheetmetal is a powerful thing.

What say you?

[www.metaldipping.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2017 08:06PM by Pedigo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who has dipped their corvair body? What did you learn?
Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: December 19, 2017 08:09PM

I have considered doing this in the past but the place here in Atlanta that does this is an industrial place that does not take much care to not damage things (tried a few panels and they returned to me nuked. The concept sounds good but I have reservations as well. the process will remove all sealants even in places that are not accessible with the car assembled. I also have concerns as to whether the neutralization step after the acid dip is fully effective. acid lurking would be a big problem. Hopefully someone who has done this will chime in.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: jbyenko77 ()
Date: December 19, 2017 09:51PM

hi
I've done it twice and i think that they rusted out quicker from the inside out.
And i'm I'm california

jeff ballard
camarillo, CA

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: December 20, 2017 05:50AM

I don't buy into the rusting faster from the inside out because if you have ever cut up a Corvair you will find many areas such as behind the dash, the under side of fenders, quarters, inside the roof and roof pillars and inside the hinge pillar areas were NEVER coated with anything.
Dave Motohead has sent me door hinge pillars from California that were still shiny steel in some areas.
So I personally would not be afraid of doing it.
I will say that I had found that phosphoric acid leaves a very nice coating that will prevent rusting on bare steel for a very long time.
I have not reviewed the website Tom posted so I am not sure what kind of acid they use.
But yes, I would not be afraid to use the process if it was available to me. The only down side is if you have a very rusty car you could end up with a lot of metal missing when you get the body back!

Lee J

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: December 20, 2017 09:17AM

Many years ago I looked into dipping car parts. I talked to a few folks who had it done and one major problem mentioned was the seams around doors, trunk, hood, etc. tended to weep the stripper (in spite of claims the parts are neutralized and dried) for some time often ruining new paint jobs!

A buddy worked for a company that cleaned and dipped parts for aerospace and he said the parts would go from the cleaning area to huge vacuum ovens to "boil out" all the residue from areas were metal overlapped.

Date: December 20, 2017 10:00AM

I have created my own dipping troughs for doing doors, trunk lids and deck lids. I use Phosphorus acid and it works wonders. I do let them drain down, then rinse with water and rhen blow dry with air. I let them sit over night and will pour POR 15 or Eastwood's internal frame spray into them to coat internally. The lids on my Corsa we're done this way and then coated with PPG epoxy primer. They have been this way a few years now and have seen no lifting or other issues

Lee J

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: December 20, 2017 11:32AM

I would want to dip it twice. Once in acid to remove rust. Then a second time in Red Oxide primer, to get into all those un-accessible places.
I think I remember many years ago seeing an old film of the unibody's being primer paint dipped!confused smiley

Corventure Dave

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: December 20, 2017 11:50AM

side effects no acid did once drinking smiley

Date: December 20, 2017 12:55PM

corventure Dave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would want to dip it twice. Once in acid to
> remove rust. Then a second time in Red Oxide
> primer, to get into all those un-accessible
> places.
> I think I remember many years ago seeing an old
> film of the unibody's being primer paint
> dipped!confused smiley
>
> Corventure Dave

That had to be AFTER GM built Corvairs because there are plenty of areas with nothing covering the metal. GM was still using red oxide primer to cover the areas they could reach.
The bodies themselves had select panels on the late models that were galvanized prior to the welding of the body. Rocker panels, inner panel in trunk in front of floor, lower air intake panel below back window are the ones off the top of my head.

Lee J

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: December 20, 2017 01:36PM

corventure Dave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would want to dip it twice. Once in acid to
> remove rust. Then a second time in Red Oxide
> primer, to get into all those un-accessible
> places.
> I think I remember many years ago seeing an old
> film of the unibody's being primer paint
> dipped!confused smiley
>
> Corventure Dave

Dave - I believe that was first done on the 58 Thunderbirds. Ford had a commercial showing it being done. What they didn't say was how much engineering went into the body design so there were no air pockets in the body during immersion.

Did it work - better than nothing, but galvanizing proved to be far superior.

Does anybody know that the LM Corvair body rails were galvanized? Impressive for the 1960's. Later in the LM run the windshield lower frame panel was also galvanized!

Posted by: William Pierson ()
Date: December 20, 2017 01:48PM

I had the 64 Spyder clone dipped. I was pleased. It was dipped to strip and then dipped in another tank to neutralize the dip. It did not take off undercoating, bondo or sealer. I did do seam sealer but I don't think it was essential. If I were doing a complete restoration again, I would dip it.
I have also had paint stripped using plastic beads. That also does a great job. I would advise that method for an overall paint job.

Posted by: whubbell ()
Date: December 20, 2017 03:06PM

If I had it done, I would dip it in chocolate (yum)

Bill Hubbell,
President, Stock Corvair Group

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: December 20, 2017 04:01PM

Many years ago (back in the late '70's and into the '80's) here in the Washington D.C. Metropolitan area there was a franchise called Redi-Strip.

The franchise would have a big tank large enough to dip a unibody car/truck and the chemicals used would strip off the paint but not bondo, undercoating etc...

The big issue was that the chemicals were extremely expensive. Many franchise owners apparently did not exercise enough caution or care regarding the chemicals.

It seemed that they did not process enough volume of vehicles to cover the cost of renewing the chemicals and most of the local locations closed up before long.

I did a quick search for the name Redi Strip and did get some results, a few of which appear to be in the Chicago area and advertises serving the area for many decades.

The concept sounds great but my guess is that it would come down to the actual individuals that handle the vehicle, and how effective the chemicals do their job.

1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.