home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Be Careful with Your Shop Equipment!
Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: December 19, 2017 06:05PM

I had an incident this afternoon with my transmission jack, the single post kind. If you look at the jack you will see the table is tilted down. There was an engine sitting on that when the adjuster stripped the nut off the end! Thank goodness the jack was down at the time.

Here is where the engine ended up, it only lost a half quart of oil in the 20 seconds it took me to recover.

OH, the engine was upside down! It broke the stabilizer bolt that I used in the rear skid plate and it landed on the top of the bell housing and broke that and bent the front engine sheet metal. I don't know if the PP is ok as I have not looked at it yet. I'll fix it tomorrow.

I know what you might be thinking but this is only a reseal on an engine not a rebuild. I did have the bell housing off and bead blasted it, now it's scrap! I think maybe the throttle cross shaft is bent but I can straighten that. I think I can even straighten the sheet metal!

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Be Careful with Your Shop Equipment!
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 19, 2017 06:14PM

Lucky dog! Glad you and the engine are actually OK...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: December 19, 2017 06:28PM

Looks like it has the dreaded Farmers Insurance fuel filter upgrade.

'64 Monza Coupe 140 4 speed
'61 700 Lakewood 95 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: December 19, 2017 06:56PM

Yup, it sure does and had before it came to me. I have never had one of those fail. I always put them on the inlet to the fuel pump. Even on my own cars.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: December 20, 2017 04:49AM

Chinese?

Posted by: ken ()
Date: December 20, 2017 05:59AM

A friend of mine was installing a BBC and tranny in his Camaro . When it was over the radiator support the weld on the step at the bottom of the hydraulic jack broke . Nobody got hurt but the radiator support bent big time . LUCKY

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: December 20, 2017 07:34AM

As my Father used t say.... "Sunkin Ditch"!

Thanks for sharing Ken. Good reminder that we need to check our equipment once and a while. I know some of my stuff I haven't checked closely for years!eye popping smiley

Coventure Dave

Posted by: veverlove ()
Date: December 20, 2017 07:35AM

I didn't have anything break, but person was helping me with a brake job and for some reason decided the passenger side appeared too low, so he started to jack up that side of the car. Problem was, I had the driver's side suspension resting on a jack stand, while I was working on attaching the end link onto the sway bar (without a stand under the frame) and noticed what he was doing just in the nick of time and did a backwards summersault (not an easy task as a paraplegic) to avoid having a car land in my lap. Ended up only damaging the driver's side brake dust shield. Glad you're OK, Ken. Car/engine parts are replaceable/repairable, body parts . . . not so much.

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: December 21, 2017 05:17AM

Wagon Master Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like it has the dreaded Farmers Insurance
> fuel filter upgrade.

At least it is on the suction side of the pump and away from the fanbelt. If the plastic fails, a little fuel will dribble out and the engine will die.

If the filter is on the pressure side (like if it had an e-pump up front) then that's a whole different issue.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toronado V8
65 Monza 455 Toronado V8
65 Monza 4dr 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4dr EJ20T w/5-speed
66 500 4dr 110 3-speed Display Vehicle

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.