Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Recent Corvair magazine articles
Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: December 18, 2017 09:51PM

CLASSIC MOTORSPORTS Jan. 2018 5+ page article on Jay Leno's Stinger, very complimentary.

HEMMINGS CLASSIC CAR Feb. 2018 4 page article, mostly pictorial, of Bay State Corvair Club of Massachusetts meet held September 16 at Clark's Corvairs. (Already noted.)

CLASSIC & SPORTS CARS Nov.2017 (British magazine, so hits the newsstands late.) One page article by senior contributor Martin Buckley, titled "Unreliable at any Speed". (Spyder convertible, incorrect fan belt, drove a noisy differential until it destroyed itself.) No sympathies, Mr. Buckley.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recent Corvair magazine articles
Date: December 18, 2017 10:02PM

Mr. Buckley, Shame on you! Blaming the car for the driver's mistakes! Always make sure your 50 year old is ready for the adventure before you begin!

Unless you like living on the edge!! Still, don't blame the car for your adventurous spirit!

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: December 19, 2017 08:57AM

Mr Buckley discovered that he needed a V belt instead of a serpentine design. Then he decided to 'fix' his diff by driving the car and hoping that the oil leak coming from the diff would 'fix itself' by swelling after some use. Geez this guy gets paid to write about cars??

It is 63 spyder convert that he loving calls "an open topped turbo thing".

EDIT to say he was at least complimentary of Clark's.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2017 08:59AM by steve c goodman.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 19, 2017 09:24AM

Download the issue for free

Huge mag!! page 169

Nice report on the Goodwood Festival as well as many others..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2017 09:49AM by MattNall.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: December 19, 2017 09:42AM

steve c goodman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mr Buckley discovered that he needed a V belt
> instead of a serpentine design. Then he decided
> to 'fix' his diff by driving the car and hoping
> that the oil leak coming from the diff would 'fix
> itself' by swelling after some use. Geez this guy
> gets paid to write about cars??
>

As I got older and matured I came to the realization that a lot of the automotive writers are just great story tellers and most don't have much common sense regarding automobiles.

I fellow I knew was writing an article on the first generation Camaro and told me - "You know with that unibody rear body and the bolted on front subframe those cars were always loose". Unfortunately he didn't know I had owned a brand new SBC first generation Camaro. Granted they were front heavy and had belted wide oval tires so "handling" required a skilled hand, but they WERE NOT loose cars. We departed after I informed him he was suffering from "cranial rectal inversion" with no real knowledge of the car, just mouthing what he had read/heard.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 19, 2017 10:01AM

Instant gratification!

Attachments:
Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: December 19, 2017 12:05PM

Heck I have the whole magazine, it is on loan courtesy of Chuck Riblett of Blackhawk Engineering fame. He dropped it off last Saturday, interesting coincidence that it was at my fingertips.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: alpha1906 ()
Date: December 30, 2017 08:16PM

In January, I'm starting a series of articles for Jalopnik, as I chronicle my Corvair build. So keep an eye out for them!

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: December 30, 2017 08:41PM

A guy that knows he has a differential leak, doesn't fix it, complains the car is unreliable when it dies and then complains that the parts cost too much to fix it.
If he bothered to check the lube it probably would have cost him a seal and some gear lube. He needs to sell it to someone that has a clue.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: December 30, 2017 09:47PM

Don't we have some U.K. boys on the forum here?
I hope they write some nasty letters to the editor and give them a heaping ear-full!

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.