home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Front lower control arm bushings
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: December 18, 2017 03:49PM

Since the front lower control arms move in a arc I know solid bushings are bad. If I'm not going to use spherical bearings I'm guessing Lon's polyurethane bushings are the next best. Question is should I get the soft ones or the stiffer ones? I'm only interested in keeping the suspension where it should be with a minimum of binding.
If I decided to go with spherical bearings does anyone sell a press in kit?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Front lower control arm bushings
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 18, 2017 03:58PM

use the soft for street / occasional track..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: December 18, 2017 04:04PM

Use the softer ones. That is not a place you want a stiff bushing. It needs to flex. Stock rubber should also work fine there but if you want to go the spherical bushing route I would use a johnny joint or something similar over a steel spherical bearing. I have replaced all bushings that bind in my car with them and it made a big difference for the better over the urethane bushings I used to have. Not a simple press in affair though. You have to cut holes and weld in sleeves then either buy or make the press tools like I did. There is nobody that sells a kit to press spherical bearings or bushings in corvair control arms.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Date: December 18, 2017 08:49PM

I get these questions a lot -

After 17 years of selling these urethane bushings I have come to the conclusion that most people can't tell the difference between the 75 durometer and the 90.

75 is a good default because it's very close to stock - and ANYTHING is better than 50 year old neoprene, which probably is about 200 durometer (!)

Lon Wall

Fireman Sumpter Valley Railroad #3 and #19
svry.com
www.pacificmodelloggerscongress.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.