Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Racing wheels....any suggestions
Posted by: Bobdudeman ()
Date: December 17, 2017 04:25PM

I'm looking at some black racing rims from summit. I will sell off my American racing rims. I like the black look. Any suggestions on how wide and tall? I will be dropping the car down a bit by cutting springs. Ty, steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Racing wheels....any suggestions
Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: December 17, 2017 04:52PM

Size depends on class you want the car to fall into OR backwards size is what your race organization tells you what size you can use.

Only other suggestion is: light as possible no matter size

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 17, 2017 04:56PM

I have a nice set of Enke 32's 9 lb..... 15x8 and 15x9

Car was 3rd FTD at Flagstaff in 2002 and Goodyear Bluestreak tires were 15 yrs. old then!!

You get to take them apart to remove the tires!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: December 17, 2017 04:57PM

Thanks. So many stipulations. I have always dreamed of a Corvair track car. It will be street prepared I think. It is stripped down like a road course car. Just a shell and motor. 4 speed 140 66 monza

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 17, 2017 05:00PM

Street prepped requires interior! Just build YOUR fastest racer you know how and see where it falls.. so much fun...

Attachments:

Date: December 17, 2017 05:03PM

As several of us have said check your rule book and see what the limits for street prepared are listed. Generally prepared classes are more than stripped car. Note I said 'generally'

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: martyscarr ()
Date: December 17, 2017 05:30PM

Street prepared can run any size of wheel: "Wheels of any diameter, width, or offset may be used". I race in street prepared, currently have 13x8 in front and 13x9 in rear. Street Prepared rules are HERE

You do need a full interior, but you can use a lightweight racing seat for both driver and passenger (the seats need to have a cover). You can delete the back seat and be a Stinger clone, but you'll be in ESP instead of FSP.

I don't know your budget or how competitive you want to be, but Diamond Racing Wheels makes a decent wheel (14 pounds) for about $100 each. You can spend as much as $500 per wheel for light alloy wheels. The Hoosier A7 tires are about $1000 for set of 4 225/45-13 with shipping and mounting.

Posted by: SoloCP ()
Date: December 17, 2017 05:31PM

I have a full set of light weight steel wheels that I used on my first CP Corvair. 15x8 fronts 15x10 rears. I order them with the proper off sets. I might sell. Also have a full set of yenko style 13 inch wheels if you are trying to do a period correct car. Check out Diamond Wheels you can order light steel wheels with offsets up to 5 inches if I remember correctly.

Don
AKA (Polyvairist)
Kansas City
HACOA
Broken Halo Corvair Garage.
61 Lakewood
62 Monza aka (Flicka)
62 Rampside
63 700 Sedan 3 Speed
64 Spyder Coupe (Bill Pierson Car)
64 Monza Convertible,140/4 Speed,Electric Heat,Kelsey Hayes Wheels
64 Spyder Blown, (Dave Bolduc Car)
65 Corsa 3.1 Liter Triple Weber (aka Unsafe)
66 Corvair V8 SuperVair (Created by Archibald Evans)
66 Avenger, Corvair Turbo, Fuel Injected, Air to Water intercool 140. (Michael Mann Car)

Date: December 17, 2017 06:15PM

Thanks guys. I know I have to keep on the rules. Since the car never had interior I don't want to put it in. I guess I'll just keep going with it and see where it puts me. No interior, no side glass or guts, plan on removing the inner door metal and aluminum panel them with pull cables, no bumpers. Going to add a fuel cell, electronic fuel pump oil cooler up front as well as the rear, roll cage. I guess I'll just have fun with it and see where it lands me. I would love to take it to attract one day. I have a local autocross track in my area which should be fun as well

Date: December 17, 2017 06:34PM

Attend some local autox events and just wander around, talk to the entrants both men and ladies and look at their cars. Look at the timing board and watch the class your car would be placed into. Do this before you start working on your own car, join the club and help out at the track and get to know everyone around you. Then you can ask questions and they will be willing to help you.

Also look at the rule book, examine what you have with the car lightened/stripped/no glass/etc and see what class your car will fall into. Then when you are at the track you can see what you will be running against and you can decide whether that is a class you can live with.

Remember autoX is fun, no one gets paid when they win and many times not even trophies are handed out. It is a fun way to spend a day getting to know your car and honing your driving skills. GOOD LUCK

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: December 17, 2017 06:43PM

Looks like I will be in prepared. Fine by me😎

Date: December 17, 2017 06:55PM

Ty Steve. They start Beck up in January at our local track. I can't wait to go meet some of the local racers. It will be a great group to join. I can't wait to help out.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: December 18, 2017 04:05AM

I have Diamond lightweight racing wheels on my road racing Corvair. I have 15 x 7 to fit EP rules and they make them any offset you want. They are the lightest steel wheels I could find and available in black. They are a few pounds lighter than their regular racing wheels.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: December 18, 2017 04:38AM

The Basset Inertia Advantage is a good choice if you want to run 15s, its the lightest steel wheel going and to me looks the best. Mike

Attachments:
Date: December 18, 2017 06:33AM

I was looking at those wheels on summit. Those are the wheels I was looking for. They don't seem to be that expensive, the only issue is is that minor 15" + 5 lug. They don't seem to make a smaller diameter in a 5 lug as far as I can tell

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: December 18, 2017 01:34PM

I was looking around a little and I saw that as the wheel diameter increases the tires choices also increase, you can actually buy 16 inch tires with a low aspect number and get a wider tire that is no taller than what I have on my 14 inch rim, I have one tire size choice.
I've only run in autocross so far, I don't really care what class they put me in as long as they let me go out and play.
Everything is fun but I enjoy the non-SCCA events more just because I always get to drive more times, generally here every SCCA autocross I've done in the last several years it take 8 hours to get three runs, maybe four.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: December 18, 2017 02:18PM

Yes,the only 5 x 4 3/4 are in 15s. I run 15x10s on the back and the 15x8s on the front.

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: December 18, 2017 02:46PM

Diamond still offers 13" wheels in 5-bolt, 4 3/4" pattern, I believe. Probably the cheapest/lightest wide 13s. Mind your effective gear ratios if you change to 15". Outside diameter of the tire is what counts. There are some really short 15" tires now available. Unless you go to real slicks, I suggest staying at the 200 wear rating tires. It opens the car up to many more classes, I believe.

Posted by: Melb-Mike ()
Date: December 18, 2017 04:21PM

I have run Aero steel wheels on my Lotus. They are available in many different wheel patterns and diameters. Best of all, they're relatively light and cheap.

One thing I found out is that bigger is not always better. In the case of low powered light cars, you don't want to fight the inertia required to get the wheel turning. The wider tire may have more grip but your speed may be reduced, thus negating the benefit. I learned this in road racing. At Talledaga GPR track, I ran 1:07 lap times with the 10" wide Hoosier (13X10) but was able to knock off 2 seconds off my lap by going down to a 9" wide tire on the rear. Since my car only weighs 1080 lbs dry, the front tires aren't as important. Corvairs may push a little bit more so they may need more rubber.

The Aero wheels can be ordered from Summit Racing and come in a variety of sizes to fit practically any car. They typically cost around $65 to $80 per wheel. If you want really good grip, get some Hoosiers in either bias ply or sports car radial. With radials, the A7 compound is for AutoX while the R7 compound is for road racing. By the way, the A7 is so grippy that they also work quite well in wet conditions. The drawback is that they are not road legal so you can't legally drive to the track on them. Good luck.

64 Greenbrier
64 Spyder (needs restoration)
65 Corsa 140, restored
66 Corsa turbo, restoring now
66 Corsa 140 "RR" code coupe fully restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
69 Corvette 427 convertible restored
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06
1965 AC Cobra (Factory Five)

Posted by: bobvair ()
Date: December 18, 2017 04:46PM

Mike’s observations are spot-on with my experiences on track.

Bob Slusher

Portland, Oregon

63 Rampside
63 Rampside
65 Corsa Turbo Convert-EO
71 Brabham F2
18 Tesla X
18 Tesla 3

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.