home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
rust flakes and debris...
Posted by: 19sixty5 ()
Date: December 17, 2017 08:20AM

How does one go about successfully removing rust flakes and junk from inside a hood or trunk support bottom structure? I can't think of anything more annoying that hearing a that crap sliding down when you open your hood/trunk. There has got to be a way!

Thanks

65 Crown coupe
65 GTO 4 speed Tri-Power Convert
67 Cutlass Supreme LS3/4LE85 Convert
1970 El Camino SS 396 Turbo 400
2005 Chevrolet Duramax 2500HD
2011 Honda Accord 6 speed Navi Coupe
2014 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Huntsville, AL

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rust flakes and debris...
Posted by: junkman ()
Date: December 17, 2017 09:46AM

It is very difficult, but if you have the patience to seal up all the openings with painters tape, and then tape a strong vacuum to a small opening in the bottom, you can vacuum out the pieces. I did this once, and it was about 80% successful in getting the pieces out. If I had removed the engine lid, I probably would have gotten all of it out. I do have an acorn in my luggage lid that used to drive me crazy, but not enough to want to try to get it out. I know that this one is going to be very frustrating, and I don't need that aggravation in my life.

Re: rust flakes and debris...
Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: December 17, 2017 11:25AM

If you find a solution for getting all of it out I would love to hear it. I have tried all sorts of things and never been totally successful lid on or off the car. Often the things you hear are dried up chunks of the sealer that was used between the inner and outer panels of the lid. Often these are too big to pass thru any opening. The other thing that gets stuck in there are fasteners for any emblems that mount to the lid. I have tried blowing and suction with some but not complete success.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.