Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
ZDDP additives
Posted by: junkman ()
Date: December 17, 2017 08:13AM

I have been following the oil thread of the past week, talking about what oil to use. I know that some recommend adding a ZDDP additive to the oil. I have also read on other forums where adding anything to an oil, might be detrimental because of compatibility. Your thoughts, and what brand of ZDDP do you purchase and use, and why. Thanks Junk

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ZDDP additives
Posted by: Pedigo ()
Date: December 17, 2017 08:32AM

Because my eyes glaze-over after reading Richard's threads and I like to overspend on oil. It's a religion with Amsoil.

Attachments:
Date: December 17, 2017 08:37AM

Richard Widman- aka Richard1 Oil Expert and Corvair Restoration Sensation
Has written an extensive paper regarding Lubrication, especially oil - for Corvairs

Worth the time: widman.biz/Corvair/English/Links/Oil.html

Really, Corvairs are much more demanding due to their temperature variations and potential extremes than their lightly loaded flat-tappet camshafts.

Properly formulated Synthetics are "the way to go" if you analyze the info in his work.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2017 08:42AM by 1966-Corsa-GT-180.

Posted by: stitch ()
Date: December 17, 2017 08:49AM

What I gathered after reading his summary is that if you use the right oil (ie read the label) you don't need OR want to add ZDDP additive to your oil. Too much is no better than not enough! smoking smiley

"If you can't fix it with a Hammer, you have an Electrical problem."
Stitch...
Schertz, Texas.
(Smallish town/burg 17 mi. NE of San Antonio)

!967.. 4th body
8th off the line

Date: December 17, 2017 08:55AM

After rereading Dan's link,it appears as though I may have picked the wrong viscosity. Hopefully,I didn't damage the original motor in the process.
Next time,it will be a 10w-30 weight.

Posted by: stitch ()
Date: December 17, 2017 08:57AM

The yellow oval sez:
Contains high levels of Zinc and Phosphorous.

"If you can't fix it with a Hammer, you have an Electrical problem."
Stitch...
Schertz, Texas.
(Smallish town/burg 17 mi. NE of San Antonio)

!967.. 4th body
8th off the line

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: December 17, 2017 12:01PM

If you buy the correct oil there is no need for the ZDDP additive. On the turbo Buick message board is a guy named Richard Clark who makes and sells that ZDDP additive and he has been tell everyone that no oil on the market has enough zinc or phosphorus. Several of us disagree but of course he is trying to make money. I personally am not an engineer but I would sooner listen to one who is involved with oils and has nothing to gain financially with his advice.

Lee J

Posted by: curt ()
Date: December 17, 2017 03:53PM

Brad Penn and Z-Rod are what I have used. Both pictured above. (10W-30 weight). 1969 Monza, 95 HP PG. With AC.

Posted by: phill66 ()
Date: December 17, 2017 04:24PM

I use Valvoline VV205 VR1 Racing Formula 10W-30 weight oil in my Vair.
Here's Richard Widman's analysis of this oil per his report:

Valvoline: After various questions and tracing through some bad programing on
Vaoline’s site, I will add that: Valvoline VV205 VR1 Racing Formula SAE 10w-30
is a good choic at this moment. (9/2011). The chemical formulations look good for
our use. based on that I would not hesitate to put this product in a Corvair. 1400
ppm of zinc and 1300 of phosphorous is excellent. Maybe a tad low on detergency,
but the sodium sulfonate is very effective at sludge control, so on balance I'd go for it.

Posted by: blackspyder ()
Date: December 17, 2017 05:35PM

A friend of mine who owns a high end Porsche restoration shop switched over to Joe Gibbs oils. He was having problems with internal corrosion on other oils that he was using with cars that would not be in daily use. He said he has had no issues since he has switched. Maybe Richard has some more information about Joe Gibbs oils.

Date: December 17, 2017 05:38PM

"Joe Gibbs"
Is that like Billy Bob's oil? (just kidding)ggg

Posted by: jmaechtlen ()
Date: December 17, 2017 09:47PM

Then there's this website - the guy tests oil....

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

Posted by: Melb-Mike ()
Date: December 18, 2017 04:30PM

After reading the very extensive testing oil test written in the Corsa magazine, I determined that my best best is to use one oil on everything, Mobil 1 5W-30 full synthetic. It works in all my modern cars and also seems to be the best thing for my older cars with flat tappets. It sure makes it a lot easier keeping one oil on the shelf. I also have about a dozen ZDDP bottles on the shelf and it appears they will stay there for a long while. I think the other top rated oil with the Castrol full synthetic. Either one appears to be more than needed without adding anything to it.

For those of you who still insist on adding Zinc, be careful that this doesn't cause an acid condition in the motor. From the testing the engineer did, he found that it's a common condition from adding zinc.

One more thing, I hope this doesn't end up being like the coffee, eggs, alcohol, etc where the "experts" determine it's bad for you, then it's good for you, then it's bad for you (LOL)spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

64 Greenbrier
64 Spyder (needs restoration)
65 Corsa 140, restored
66 Corsa turbo, restoring now
66 Corsa 140 "RR" code coupe fully restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
69 Corvette 427 convertible restored
2004 Caterham R400 (Lotus super7)my race car
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06
1965 AC Cobra (Factory Five)

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: December 18, 2017 05:43PM

As has been commented, Do not add more ZDDP to your oil unless you know exactly what is in the oil, Exactly what is in the additive, can calculate the right amount, so as not to go over 1800, and can test the results of the mix.

Sort of like buying a good soup in a restaurant and adding your own spices before serving to your family, without knowing what spices are in the "spice bottle".

I've commented on the rat540 study in other posts. Interesting, but not ready for prime time. Tests on new oil, not used a few thousand miles.

Actually, the biggest problem we have is their is no decent air filter for the 60, and a lot of people put K&N on their Vairs without regard to the high dirt ingress.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: December 18, 2017 06:40PM

I asked this question because I had an engine rebuilt (non Corvair), and the shop doing the work filled the engine with Valvoline Racing oil, which has a high level of ZDDP, and also put in a bottle of Lucas ZDDP for the break in oil. I remembered what you have just said, being said in a previous post a while back. Now, I am concerned that even the machine shop owner doesn't properly understand oils and the correct level of ZDDP. I could drain the oil, and install one of the break in oils, however, I am concerned about doing this if something were to fail. The engine is a 300 HP 327 CI Chevrolet (1962) all original, except for being bored 30 thousands, and new lifters and came. Crank was polished, and new bearings installed.
What are your thoughts and guidance ? The engine has not been installed in the car as of yet. thanks Junk

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.