home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
THE LATEST NEWSsmileys with beer
Date: December 16, 2017 01:13PM

The following is being sent out to our active customer list -

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all our customers past and present!

A major change is coming to Corvair Underground Jan 1 2018 - more on that in a minute.

As for the last 2 weeks of 2017 we want to remind you that every item you order from us gets free shipping if it's being sent in the USA. If it's an order going outside the USA you get 10% off rather than free shipping. In some limited cases we will be offering free shipping AND 10% off for specific items.

What's this all about? Well, we have oftentimes had inventory clearance sales at the end of the year. We're once again doing that but there's another reason.

10 years ago I made the announcement that Corvair Underground would be closing it's doors. At that time The Underground had been a major player in the Corvair parts business for nearly 35 years. But changing markets, and a looming recession wrote clearly on the wall that the old ways couldn't be sustained any longer. As I started to clear out the large primary warehouse I realized that I still had a lot of products unique to us that might still have some demand. To make a long story short we went from 14,000 square feet of warehouse space and 7 full time employees to 1200 feet of space in a secondary warehouse and one employee - me. The downsizing worked but had it's problems as time went on.

This past year was a real roller coaster ride. After a mediocre 2016 Oct arrived and for no apparent reason our sales more than quadrupled. Sales were better than they had been in a decade and continued that way until June of this year. During that time of sustained sales I also got VERY sick which ended up pushing a lot of progress back. In June business went dead - with a capital D and stayed there until (oddly enough) late October. There was a similar surge in sales - but this time it only lasted about 2 weeks.

My diminished health and a poor track record of sales leads me to one inevitable conclusion. I cannot continue to operate this way. At this time I cannot tell you what will happen with our GoVair-Dale line of products, the spring loaded idlers, urethane suspension bushings etc but I can tell you starting Jan 1 2018 I will no longer be operating Corvair Underground Inc as a general mail order supply house for Corvair parts.

My intention is to close down our remaining warehouse. In the meantime I'll try to clear out (sell) as much of my inventory and equipment as possible as quickly as possible. Maintaining this one small facility just eats up any profits I make and that doesn't make much sense.

Can someone with the energy needed to succeed pick up the operation? Unknown. All I know is all things have their time and 44 years is a damn good run.

Those of you who have orders in with us will see them processed but i will probably quit taking in new orders after the first of the year.

Linda and I thank all of you who have been loyal Underground customers since we started back in 1974. It's been a great ride - but I'm tired.

Lon Wall

Corvair Underground Inc 1974-2018

Lon Wall

Fireman Sumpter Valley Railroad #3 and #19
svry.com
www.pacificmodelloggerscongress.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: THE LATEST NEWSsmileys with beer
Posted by: stitch ()
Date: December 16, 2017 01:23PM

eye popping smiley So sorry. But we all need to retire someday. I hope your health improves. Do some traveling. Maybe see the world. You'll be missed, for sure! smileys with beer

"If you can't fix it with a Hammer, you have an Electrical problem."
Stitch...
Schertz, Texas.
(Smallish town/burg 17 mi. NE of San Antonio)

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: December 16, 2017 01:30PM

I'm sorry to see you go but then I'm glad to hear you're finally retiring, I hope it goes well for you.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Date: December 16, 2017 01:30PM

Well - I just got my steam locomotive fireman certification. Next I'll work on my blimp pilot license.

Lon Wall

svry.com

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: December 16, 2017 01:36PM

sad smiley

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 16, 2017 01:43PM

Say it isn't so!! But then I wish I'd retired 10 yrs. earlier than I did...

Best of everything to you and Linda!

ps I'll bet if someone calls you personally after the 1st.... and you happen to have it.... you'll sell! ggg

Lots of guys do it here and other forums..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: December 16, 2017 01:55PM

Yeah - barring a complete buyout I'll still have stuff - and there's always PeeBay

Lon Wall

svry.com

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: December 16, 2017 02:03PM

Sorry to see you retire, but we all need to think more about that, rest, travel, see our grandkids, etc.

Thanks for all your help over the 10+ years I've had my Vair.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: beenzo2since71 ()
Date: December 16, 2017 02:14PM

lon/ if you have a starter motor for a 928 Porsche please pm me , thanks ,al

Posted by: alpha1906 ()
Date: December 16, 2017 02:33PM

First of all, make sure that you take care of your health. That's the most important thing. Secondly, I'll make sure to make a purchase to support.

Date: December 16, 2017 03:23PM

Thanks Alpha!! My thoughts exactly.

Lon Wall

svry.com

Posted by: MarkDustan ()
Date: December 16, 2017 04:55PM

Sorry to see you retire. You have been a critical resource for my ground up restoration of my 65 Corsa Convertible. I hope you make a habit of staying on line to share your vast Corvair knowledge.

I know you had a serious battle with your health. Remember good health is only on temporary loan to us and can be revoked at any minute, so take care of yourself

I am certain that if you need a hand with anything the members of CORSA Oregon will jump in and help...just ask

Mark Dustan

Date: December 16, 2017 05:00PM

Thanks mark!

Lon Wall

svry.com

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: December 16, 2017 08:00PM

If I am not mistaken, Corvair Underground is the longest surviving Corvair only supplier right now.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: December 16, 2017 09:38PM

Lon,
I hope all your and your wife’s hard work over the years affords you a very comfortable retirement! Enjoy! smileys with beer

Dan
Chandler, AZ
1966 Corsa Turbo Convertible
[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: December 16, 2017 09:51PM

Lon,
About 30 years ago my Greenbrier blew a rear axle bearing having reached Seattle on a cross-country trip from NJ. You shipped a replacement up the coast in record time, and we were on the road again after a brief and enjoyable interlude on the Peninsula. I always appreciated that quick response.
Best of wishes for retirement.
Steve

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: December 16, 2017 11:59PM

Lon, I bet you'll keep selling on ebay - You have too much stuff left! Maybe you'll finally sell the "reserve"!
Crawford

Posted by: Pedigo ()
Date: December 17, 2017 03:53AM

My only regret is that I wasn't into corvairs during the many years I lived in McMinnville and the surrounding area,while Lon was in my back yard.
Now that I'm back in the area,I need to find time to see what FC parts you may have available before the shop closes.

Congrats on retirement,Lon.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: December 17, 2017 10:13AM

Ay Lon,

Sad but understandable. It's been a long run and great having you out there providing a competitive service.smileys with beer Many of us are getting up to that age where life has us looking at many years of accomplishments. Take great pride in the Underground and the service you provided. I'm thinking of all the miles you both have traveled to events and had your inventory for sale. Vairy much appreciated over the years.
I can't help but recall when we first met in Santa Maria at the Central Coast Corsa Mini Convention. And you had that small Underground parts catalog. I believe you also had a NOS 64-65 FC service door for sale!

All my best my friend.

Corventure Dave Palmer

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: December 17, 2017 10:28AM

I loved those Santa Maria mini conventions!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.