Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Installing windshield
Posted by: VIXVAIRS ()
Date: December 16, 2017 11:12AM

I have removed the old windshield from my 66' Corsa convertible, cleaned up the area the new one sits and have the "rope" sealtape to install but Clark's no longer sells the pinchweld primer for butyl tape. I had a can but it sat out in the garage for a couple of years and the Arizona heat destroyed it. Is there an alternative primer I can use? I went online and found the same primer clark's used to sell but it is in a pintsize can and I'm sure I won't need or use all of that.Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Installing windshield
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: December 16, 2017 04:55PM

3M recommends the Pinch Weld Primer (PN 08643) if the pinchweld paint is scratched or damaged during glass removal. Basically for use when the cars were new and the paint was good.

After all these years the paint is usually bad under the old seal and some corrosion has started. For a long term durable fix I usually strip the pinchweld frame to bare metal, repair, epoxy prime, base coat, clear coat. You can apply the 3M butyl bead to cured clear coat without using the primer.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.