Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
F/S TWO - Rebuilt - Aluminum Steering Boxes
Posted by: rlp11 ()
Date: December 15, 2017 01:06PM

Hi All

I found two rebuilt (I think) Aluminum Steering boxes. I use to have a 1961 Corvair but sold it many years ago. I have had these boxes for about 18 years. I no longer need them. All my Vairs are 1964. I took the bearing adjuster off so I could take a picture of the insides. I do see a difference between the two worm nuts. Anyone know way? Both boxes, when assembled, are tight with no slop using my fingers.

Box #1
Has grease in it and is very clean. The bearings appear to be new and so are the gaskets. Red circle shows a small damaged area. About half way down the seal side. Should be no problem. Comes with three mounting bolts and washers.

Box #2
No grease inside but very clean. The bearings appear to be new and so are the gaskets.The teeth are pitted but not bad. I would grease it and go. No damage on case. Comes with pitman arm.

Either one for $150 or make me a offer plus shipping. PM me if you are interested. I'll post more pictures if you want them.

Roger Parent
El Cajon, CA
1964 Monza Driver
1964 Monza Project

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: F/S TWO - Rebuilt - Aluminum Steering Boxes
Posted by: Jonathan Knapp ()
Date: December 15, 2017 09:57PM

Are these boxes for '61s only. Or do they work on other years as well? Do they work on LMs?

Jonathan Knapp
Seattle, WA
'66 Corsa Autocrosser

Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: December 15, 2017 10:18PM

60-63's used aluminum short shaft boxes
64 uses a cast iron box with a 47" long shaft
Early 65 uses a cast iron box with a 46" long shaft (differnt spline paterns also I belive)
Late 65 and 66 cast box with 17" shaft tele is different
67-69 use cast box short shaft like 60-63

Marco
Sun Valley Ca 91352

Posted by: texas yenko dude ()
Date: December 16, 2017 07:49PM

The 60 box is different from the 61-63. The nut is different as is the alumn box.

Texas YENKO Dude
YS-070
YS-199
YS-320
Southeast of Disorder

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.