home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
voltage regulator?
Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: December 14, 2017 03:53PM

OK as an update, I finally got the 60 to the point of where I started it for the first time with the new engine! Exciting day for me, even though I hoped to have it running by Thanksgiving. But life got in the way!

So what I noticed today was the generator light stayed on, even after the engine started. Now the only thing that has changed was I'm using what looked like a new voltage regulator from the parts car. Same wiring, same generator nothing new, except that.

I painted the engine compartment and I'm wondering if I'm not getting a ground at the regulator.

I believe I have read, on the forum, that the voltage regulator needs a ground with the 3 bolts holding it in place.

Is that true?

Tomorrow I hope to trouble shoot this and see if that is the issue, or to replace the regulator with the old one that was installed before.

But I was hoping to use the newer one, since my old regulator was slightly overcharging.

I read in the manual to use a ground wire from the field wire to a ground to see if the light goes off.

So that might be something I also check.

But just curious if the regulator isn't seeing a ground, if it will cause the light to stay on.
And the battery is full charged.

The engine started right up, but of course it is making a bunch of noise from sitting the last year or so! It should stop after it runs longer!

Thanks for any info you might have on the regulator!

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
In the Beautiful state of
North/East KY!

Not the best pic, but the only I had from then, 1997!

2016!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: voltage regulator?
Posted by: jcorvair ()
Date: December 14, 2017 04:35PM

Isn't the voltage regulator mounted with well nuts to isolate it? Or was that just mine?

James
Maple Ridge, BC

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Turbo
2013 Hyundai Elantra (daughter's future car)
2009 Silverado HD Crew Cab 4x4 (for haulin cars, trailers, fifth wheels, quads, etc.)
2013 Victory Car Hauler (enclosed)
2015 Polaris 570 EPS
2016 Polaris 570 SP

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: December 14, 2017 04:45PM

Lee double check your wiring and connections but look at pg 8-18 in 60 shop manual 'polarizing the generator'. Do exactly as instructions instruct.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: December 14, 2017 04:49PM

The generator regulators are rubber mounted with grommets but one end has a tab that goes under a bolt head for a ground.

As far as your old regulator over charging adjust the voltage on it, read the manual, it's easy to do.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: 4wd430 ()
Date: December 14, 2017 05:13PM

Check to make sure that the wires connecting to the voltage regulator are nice and tight. My light was on and I realized that the screws holding the wires in place were loose. I tightened them up and the light went away.

60' Corvair Deluxe 4dr

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: December 14, 2017 08:12PM

Good deal Lee. But I thought only the LM used well nuts with rubber where as the EM had large sheet metal screws?
I believe the manual suggests polarizing the system any time a component is replaced.

I know it only takes a moment to do it.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: December 14, 2017 09:17PM

Ken and Tim both right, earlies (with generator) have the voltage regulator mounted with three rubber grommets that have brass eyelets in them to ground the unit.

Late models have well nuts, so need a separate ground wire (should be in wiring harness).

Yes, it is a good idea to polarize the generator when swapping parts. Use jumper wire (12 or 14 awg) to connect Bat to Arm terminals of the regulator for 2 seconds. If light still on, do it again. Just went through this on a 63. Ths 63 also had a wire pull out of a brush. Never saw that before!

Ken, I did use the lathe properly this time to smooth out the commutator. Looks good! This is the first picture where I had not cut all the way to the wire connection. I measured another commutator to make sure I did not cut too wide.

For the generator/regulator to make the dash light go out, the top contact has to close. This connects the Bat to the Arm terminal. This coil closes when the generator, due to "flashing the field" (polarizing) and setting up residual magnetism in the iron of the generator, starts producing voltage which goes to the Arm terminal of the regulator. The Fld terminal of the regulator should be at 0 ohms to ground when the generator is not running. One can always drag clean white paper through the regulator contacts to see if they are dirty.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Attachments:

Date: December 15, 2017 04:09AM

Frank, thumbs up

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: December 15, 2017 05:30AM

Thanks guys. Some things to do. I hadn't polarized the generator when I started it, but did after I shut it off. So I'll see today.

But yes the em, or at least the 60 , uses 3 large sheet metal screws.

I have had the battery disconnected before and the light didn't come on, but then it was just a short time. But i still polarized the generator anyway, then. This time it has been some time so maybe the generator lost its mojo!

Thanks much, I'll hopefully give it a go again today and hope for the best. It could also be the contacts in the new regulator have oxidized from sitting so long, and just needs cleaned up.

Ken if I had not had this new regulator I was going to adjust the old one.

I'll keep you updated.

Where can I find a rifler file, for cleaning the contacts, I think I remember the name correct. I have point files, but never saw a rifler file. Which is slightly concaved and not flat. Or is a peice of paper enough to clean the contacts?

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
North/East KY!

2016!

Date: December 15, 2017 05:35AM

Steve when I took all the wiring out of the car, I used a label maker and tagged every wire and connector. Just to avoid any chance of connecting things incorrectly.

I tore the wiring harness down and checked all the wires and cleaned all the pins and connectors, and then rewrapped the harness. So it looks brand new. And all the wires where good, no brittle insulation on each wire.

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
North/East KY!

2016!

Date: December 15, 2017 11:24AM

Just use some sand paper to clean the points. Aluminum oxide is recommended but I use my cloth roll of 240!

Be sure to run a piece of paper like the box points come in afterwards, that polishes and cleans any contaminants from the points.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: Pedigo ()
Date: December 15, 2017 03:07PM

Following.
New Clark's generator.
New engine harness.
NOS regulator.
Replaced with another NOS regulator to see.
Generator charges as should.
Always polarized properly.
Light came on after 100 miles of normalcy and won't go away.

Date: December 15, 2017 03:12PM

Thanks Ken.

Pedigo sounds like you have a problem.

Dig in I'm sure you'll figure it out!

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
North/East KY!

2016!

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: December 15, 2017 05:23PM

Pedigo, are you saying the light is on, and the generator is charging as it should (13.5 volts or so at speed)?

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Pedigo ()
Date: December 15, 2017 06:09PM

Frank DuVal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pedigo, are you saying the light is on, and the
> generator is charging as it should (13.5 volts or
> so at speed)?

Yes. Didn't want to step on Lee's toes and following his thread to see if I could pick up on what's going on.

Date: December 16, 2017 06:47AM

Well I had planned to run the engine more yesterday and check out the gen light, but wanted to finish up installing the rest of the sheet metal parts and air cleaner and such.

It is cold and if I ran the car I would lose the heat while I had the door open. Then I wouldn't be able to do anything the rest of the day, because of exhaust fumes.

So today it is supposed to be warmer, around 50. After we get back from lunch, with the kids, I'm going to start it up and check the gen light, and see if it is off since I polarized the generator after it last ran. Plus I can set the timing and check out anything else. I also need to run it enough to finish filling the pg transmission, with trans fluid.

May even try and take it for a short run, around the subdivision. Getting excited, but also nervous! The differential I installed came from the parts car and I had no history on it. I had it checked out by a fella that rebuilds them and he said it should be OK, but he didn't take it apart, and I've never worked on one, myself.

But if we don't get any snow in the next few days, I will know for sure after I drive it a little more!

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
North/East KY!

2016!

Date: December 17, 2017 02:09PM

Frank I forgot to mention, I did check the field wire to ground yesterday. It reads zero so it is grounded.

But I didn't get to look at it yesterday. Things took longer and I didn't get home in time to do anything else, except check for ground on the field wire.

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
North/East KY!

2016!

Date: December 18, 2017 03:35PM

Well got the time today to start the car again. Started right up, was still making quite a bit of noise but it did get quite after some time.

Got the pg trans filled with fluid and then decided to check out the voltage regulator.

It so happens the new regulator is one of the newer non adjustable units. But I could energize the points on the coil for the battery and the second coil going to the generator would make and the light would go out. But as soon as I stopped pushing on it, the light would come back on.

So I thought I would try and make sure all my connections where good and clean, on the regulator, before I possibly switched it out. But ran out of time and didn't try to start it and see if that helped.

But it may just be the non adjustable regulator. I have seen a number of people on here having issues with them, with the gen light not going out.

But I would rather have an adjustable voltage regulator anyway, which I have several on hand.

Also called a friend about a 69 Monza he has for sale. Might just go look at it tomorrow. Only has 21,000 miles on the odometer. Needs work, of course and that depends on how much, if I buy it or not.

Really been wanting an LM but would rather have a convertible.

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
North/East KY!

2016!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2017 03:37PM by GWLee.

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: December 18, 2017 03:51PM

Lee have you tried to rev the engine to see if the light goes out?

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: 7004doorL ()
Date: December 18, 2017 06:46PM

Hi GW, I understand you are using the same Generator as before?

Have you "Motored" the Generator after putting all back together?

The procedure should be in the Manual.

Mike
1960 4 Door
80HP PG

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.