home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Gas Heater (again)
Posted by: KiltedPhoenix ()
Date: December 14, 2017 12:55PM

So Ive been dealing with my gas heater again this year, and its really getting to me. I think I have it narrowed down to a couple things but pulling it apart repeatedly is getting to be such a pain in the butt. Here is whats happening/not happening: First start of the car, it will fire, very smokey, run for a bit, then cycle off (as it should) but not cycle back on. It has power everywhere it should to fire. The smokey burning tells me either not enough spark or clogged nozzle. Not cycling back on is either the same problem or an issue with the thermostat/microswitch. I know there is something hinkey about the switch as its behaving backwards. When I move the control lever down (forward) it rotates back and opens the switch, causing no power at the white wire (on the switch). When I pull the control lever back (up) it rotates forward, closes the switch, power to both red and white wire, sending power to where it needs to be for the heater to fire. Ive set the little white plastic bit on the end of the thermostat to where it should be according to the manual (which I do have). To eliminate this variable, just to get the heater firing consistantly ive bypassed the microswitch. From here where do I go? I have 3 used spark plugs, I've tried 2, with the same result so I'm not sure its that, unless the gap is all wrong with the part that is on the burner. Or is it the nozzle? I have a way to test the burner/nozzle outside of the heater, but I'm really getting tired of pulling the damn thing apart, as if youve worked with these I'm sure you know whats involved with pulling the burner out. Some help would be greatly appreciated.

I live in a place where even the people rust.

63 700 Sedan - Daily Driver
63 900 Monza Rag top (parts car)
64 Monza Spyder (parts car)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gas Heater (again)
Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: December 14, 2017 02:36PM

I haven't tried to look back at your previous posts sorry BUT I can't resist asking what is wrong with the hot air heater that came in the car? Feel free to PM me also if you don't want to drag it back in front of everyone.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: December 14, 2017 02:41PM

I live in Maine!

The air heater works, I mean it's hot but it's like an asthmatic toddler blowing through a straw, and that's at my feet, it was useless for the def function. Anyways I disconnected the ducts for the air heater to the def vents when I put the heater in last year and it worked.

While testing things I decided to test fuel flow. Almost nothing. Could a weak mechanical fuel pump cause this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2017 02:43PM by MattNall.

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: December 14, 2017 05:37PM

I believe your fuel pressure is too high. Do you have the factory regulator and return line to the fuel tank?

Date: December 14, 2017 05:50PM

Actually I found I had the opposite problem, I only had just a dribble of fuel. Disconnected both ends of the fuel line, used compressed air and blew it out, much better fuel flow now

Posted by: 63vert ()
Date: December 14, 2017 06:00PM

irfgt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you
> have the factory regulator and return line to the
> fuel tank?

Yes he does. Last year the gas heat worked for most of the winter, toward spring it failed. He has great planning skills like me and only went to fix it when he needed it. 😏
His combustion fan slowly failed, took out the ceramic overheat switch with it, and his purge switch was iffy as well. But......I gotta give him cudos for ambition with limited electrical skills.

Lockport, NY

1962RustBus

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2017 06:01PM by 63vert.

Date: December 14, 2017 06:03PM

Well, those parts that failed have been replaced. Now it's firing moments after starting the car, for a couple minutes the stops firing and does not come back. I'm stumped now.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 14, 2017 06:06PM

I'm not knowledgeable specifically with these heaters.... that sounds like the T-stat is opening and then won't close as the temperature drops..

In one post you raw fuel in burner... is it still doing that?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 14, 2017 06:27PM

Click here for online Gasoline Heater repair manual - ctrl+ to enlarge when viewing

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: December 14, 2017 06:33PM

It's mist certainly not the t-stat, I have that bypassed, just to eliminate one variable. As for the raw fuel, sometimes the fuel valve doesn't seal right, I know I need all New seals and such on it, but that's once I get it to fire and stay on longer than a minute or 2.

Also, yes I have the repair manual, gone through the troubleshooting, still same problem.

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: December 14, 2017 08:31PM

KiltedPhoenix Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's mist certainly not the t-stat, I have that
> bypassed, just to eliminate one variable. As for
> the raw fuel, sometimes the fuel valve doesn't
> seal right, I know I need all New seals and such
> on it, but that's once I get it to fire and stay
> on longer than a minute or 2.

>
> Also, yes I have the repair manual, gone through
> the troubleshooting, still same problem.

If you have raw fuel in the burn pot, when it finally does ignite, you might be dealing with a fire that is going to do more damage then repairing all the problems now. I have very limited experience repairing the gas heaters, but like any other heating appliance, once you start bypassing the various circuits you run the risk of doing more damage to other components. Bypassing a circuit to rule it out as the problem is OK for testing, but leaving it out permanently is foolish. A friend with a 1961 came close to loosing his car due to a gas heater fire. His wouldn't ignite all the time, and when it finally did ignite, it was with a burst of flames from all the gas in the burn pot.

Date: December 15, 2017 12:12PM

I'm going out to the garage to take out the FPR from under the car, clean out the lines from there, maybe open up the regulator more, but still, doesnt solve the problem of leaking fuel valve. I basically need a new plunger rubber. I have the combination of constant fuel flow, but low fuel pressure at the same time. I think that is part of the reason for the smokey start up. I was driving today and it started, only after driving a couple miles, it was smokey at first but cleared right up, but stayed on for quite a while, then stopped. Then I could smell raw fuel. So back at it, one issue at a time. First one I CAN solve without buying parts is the low pressure issue. I think once I fix that I'll just leave the fuel line disconnected at the pump until I can get the proper parts to stop the valve from leaking by.

Posted by: Caveman_1960 ()
Date: December 15, 2017 01:03PM

Eric, I just sent you a message on FB Messenger. Just recently I picked up a collection of parts along with a '60 Monza. Included were serval gas heaters of unknown quality or condition. The heater in the Monza is apart, so maybe the PO was trying to be a Gas Heater Mechanic? Anyway, I can send you whatever bits you may need to get heat back on. PM me or give me a call. Phone # is on FB. - Pete

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.