Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: drivers license revoked
Posted by: monza66mo ()
Date: December 14, 2017 06:16AM

So yesterday, I went to renew my Missouri drivers license and the DMV lady told me there is a revocation from Georgia and therefore she can't renew my license. So I called Georgia and learned that they revoked my license for a speeding ticket issued to me in 1987. Oddly enough, I was in the Army and stationed in Germany at the time. That lady told me I had to contact Morgan County Probate Court so I did. This lady told me that a speeding ticket for 85 in a 55 was issued to me while I was driving a blue Thunderbird on 13 March 1987. I told her the part about being in Germany at the time and that I wouldn't be driving anything other than a Chevy so this wasn't me. She said if I would fax a copy of my ID and proof that I wasn't in Georgia, she would get the revocation dismissed. So I faxed my retired military ID and a document that covered the time I was in Germany.

She called me a while later and said: "The picture on the ID you faxed and the picture we have on file from your 1987 drivers license match so there's no doubt that you received this ticket."

Well, duh!!! (I didn't say that to her) I did say: "Of course the pictures match but it was impossible that I was even in the USA at the time of this offense"

Long story short... Its costing me over $300 to get Georgia to un-revoke my license for something I didn't do 30 years ago so Missouri can renew my soon to expire license. angry smileyconfused smileythumbs down

- Art in Missouri
'61 Loadside

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: drivers license revoked
Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: December 14, 2017 06:21AM

Wow you have a doppelganger!

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Other fun car: Porsche 911 GT3
Boring daily drivers
Northern Colorado, USA

Date: December 14, 2017 06:30AM

Not really... I think it was a 30 year old typo. I guess a cop wrote the wrong license number on someone's ticket or something.

- Art in Missouri
'61 Loadside

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: December 14, 2017 06:34AM

I had a very similar issue a few years back, speeding plus DUI. One of my best friends a ski buddies was an assistant DA at the time. I called him and what I should do. He said make a few phones calls. Less than an hour later I received an apology and was told the entire issue was removed from the records

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date: December 14, 2017 07:04AM

One additional thought, I'm not sure if you are out the $$$ already. I would try contacting the VA, I'm fairly sure they have a legal team to handle this type of BS. The last thing state governments want to do is to deal with the federal government.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: curt ()
Date: December 14, 2017 07:14AM

In the early 1960's I got a parking ticket from Philadelphia. It was our license plate Number,but it was not us. Our insurance agent handled the problem. Agent said the cops would make up Numbers to fill a needed quota. Don't know what the truth was, suspect some truth in what the insurance agent said.

Date: December 14, 2017 07:24AM

jjohnsonjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I'm not sure if you are out the $$$ already.

I paid it. Its a total scam to get revenue. The clerk told me I could appear before the judge and plead my case. I figure paying it now is smarter and cheaper than a round trip to Georgia to appear in some kangaroo court and take my chances at getting the same result.

This is karma kickin' my butt for all the other speeding tickets I should have gotten. I just hope a 30 year old speeding ticket isn't going to bump up the cost of insurance.

- Art in Missouri
'61 Loadside

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: December 14, 2017 07:47AM

I would fight the crap out of this, I have had similar things happen in the past and just kept going up the ladder until I reached the person in charge who took care of it, I once received parking tickets for a car that was abandoned at LAX parking garage and some red light camera tickets that were not mine, Fight it!

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Date: December 14, 2017 07:50AM

monza66mo Wrote:
> This is karma kickin' my butt for all the other
> speeding tickets I should have gotten.
I just
> hope a 30 year old speeding ticket isn't going to
> bump up the cost of insurance.

That's funny! and Oh, so True!! smoking smiley

Last time I was pulled over for speeding, about 10 over, the cop was feeling gracious and let me go!! thumbs up

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: December 14, 2017 08:10AM

Being a man of principle I am with Dave M. I WOULD FIGHT THE HELL OUT OF THIS.
I am the guy that would spend a bunch of money on an attorney to get me "off", then I would sue in small claims court for attorney fees,

30 years later the great state of Georgia has decided to pursue this?

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: December 14, 2017 08:11AM

You just have to be persistent and realize sometimes life is not fair.

I got a notice that my Corvair got a parking ticket and since in was registered as non-operational I would have to pay a HUGE fine for driving on public roads. If I didn't pay the fine an arrest warrant would be issued.

I called the DMV number on the notice and said the car was DISMANTLED undergoing a restoration and they could come and inspect it if they wanted. The person was very nice and said the officer made a mistake since the car description on the ticket did not match my car. They would correct the mistake.

A month later - I got another warning from the state to pay up or an arrest warrant would be issued!!!!

So I call the DMV and after an hour on the phone I'm told "The one department has cancelled the ticket, but the other department hasn't cancelled the judgement. You have to go to the local DMV office and they have to contact BOTH departments to fix this" - AHHHHHHHH!

So I go to the DMV office and get the runaround and make a scene and finally the manager comes out and talks to me. He goes off to make some calls. TWO HOURS LATER he looks frustrated and says "I think I've almost got it fixed. I've never experienced such a mess. Please be patient". Finally I'm told it's fixed and I ask for a written confirmation. The manager had to hand write a note and sign it since none of the other DMV departments would issue a written statement!!

Yes that did fix the problem.

Posted by: BILLG ()
Date: December 14, 2017 08:22AM

I got a speeding ticket in Texas a couple of years ago. I have never been in Texas. That was also a VERY BIG PIA to get corrected. blurry picture of my OHIO plate. Colors did not even match! Again, a real PIA.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: December 14, 2017 08:38AM

I'm a fighter!angry smiley Government agencies are just too complacent when it comes to their screw ups. Too many times it pass the buck and hope the individual effected will give up!

Mine was when the transit in San Francisco nearly killed us due to driver gross negligence. They claimed no responsibility all the way through to arbitration. Thant took 2 1/2 years! Where the city attorney called our medical records fraudulent and us liers!

Corventure Dave

Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: December 14, 2017 08:38AM

One part I don't understand, this supposedly happened in 1987. Why wasn't this an issue before when renewing your drivers license? Or did I miss something?
confused smiley

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe-W100181
Earliest '61?

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: December 14, 2017 08:40AM

You can contact your senator's office, they have a team of aids that can often take care of these things, apparently the senator's office calling gets their attention.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Date: December 14, 2017 08:41AM

I hear you guys... If time wasn't an issue, I'd fight this harder and spend more money but... I like driving and enjoy freedom waaaaay to much to risk getting stopped with an expired Missouri license AND a 30 year old revocation on my record. That scenario ends with me cooling my heels in the pokey and paying a ton of money. I paid the fines and fees online yesterday and hope to renew my MO license at lunch today.

- Art in Missouri
'61 Loadside

Date: December 14, 2017 08:41AM

A lot of states and localities are looking for $$$$$$$. They hire data miners to go through old records. Then they split up the take, if any.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: December 14, 2017 09:04AM

Murphy Wrote:
> One part I don't understand, this supposedly
> happened in 1987. Why wasn't this an issue before
> when renewing your drivers license? Or did I miss
> something?
> confused smiley

Years ago, for many reasons, the Feds ordered ALL the states to connect their drivers license data bases. Before then one could "disappear" a bad driving record and other issues by simply moving to another state and applying for a "new" drivers license. Only a few states voluntarily exchanged data.

The "connected" process is finally about done so old stuff is showing up.

As the saying goes "You can run, but you can't hide".

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 14, 2017 09:06AM

What about "Statute of Limitations" Seven years?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Skizz ()
Date: December 14, 2017 09:30AM

As someone mentioned, about 5 years ago all the states were linked.
I went to renew my licence a few years ago and was told I had 2 speeding tickets in Maine in 1977!
I did, and never paid em smiling smiley.
Had to pay them to get my licence!

64 Monza Vert
64 Spyder Vert
2002 Chev 1500
1996 Impalla SS
Eastern NC

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.