home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
At last I drove my GB Home!!
Posted by: dolomitefan ()
Date: December 14, 2017 05:46AM

Yesterday I finally collected our 1961 Corvair Greenbrier. Despite some horrible driving conditions I'm very pleased with it and we drive the 100 miles or so home without drama.

Looking forward to the 2018 show season and meeting some of the other UK based Greenbriers. I reckons there's no more than 6 or 7 here. Oddly there was another one at the import company until Monday so just missed it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2017 12:27PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: At last
Posted by: azdave ()
Date: December 14, 2017 05:55AM

Stay safe and have fun in 2018!

BTW...I see other cars in your photo that I assume are also awaiting import? I can understand importing a Corvette or a Cobra but a Prius? Maybe that is the "shop" car. smiling smiley

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible
65 Monza 4DR 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T w/5-speed

Posted by: vairjunkie ()
Date: December 14, 2017 05:58AM

Congrats! Looks like a great addition to the fleet!
Enjoy,
Eric

Posted by: Pedigo ()
Date: December 14, 2017 06:07AM

Very nice looking Greenbrier!

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 14, 2017 07:57AM

Congrats! You'll have fun!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: December 14, 2017 08:20AM

Enjoy - Compared to the other Ford, Dodge, or VW's sold in the U.S.A. then, the Corvair is the nicest to drive in my opinion.

Date: December 14, 2017 12:28PM

azdave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stay safe and have fun in 2018!
>
>
> BTW...I see other cars in your photo that I assume
> are also awaiting import? I can understand
> importing a Corvette or a Cobra but a Prius? Maybe
> that is the "shop" car. smiling smiley

They had all kinds of cars there, mostly from the US. Cobra's, Pontiacs, trucks, Jaguars and the Prius! It had an Australian plate on it so someone must have really loved it to ship it so far. In fact they were currently transporting 214 cars into the UK which is a lot I thought.

Thanks for all the nice comments about our van. I'm hoping the weather will improve in a few days (snow and ice) and I can get out in her once again. There's a few jobs to do and I could do with giving it a proper inspection but otherwise the intention is to preserve the condition and enjoy using it.

Re: At last I drove my GB Home!!
Date: December 14, 2017 03:00PM

Your Greenbrier reminded me of this:

From a 1960s vintage travel brochure I've collected
Greenbrier Vans at Crater Lake Lodge, Oregon, U.S.A.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: Melb-Mike ()
Date: December 14, 2017 03:44PM

Congratulations on your new Greenbrier. I'm amazed you found one in the UK. We love ours. It's surprising to have it on display and see how many people come over to see it and ask so many questions. I'm sure you'll get even more interest in the UK. Best of luck to you.

64 Greenbrier
64 Spyder (needs restoration)
65 Corsa 140, restored
66 Corsa turbo, restoring now
66 Corsa 140 "RR" code coupe fully restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
69 Corvette 427 convertible restored
2004 Caterham R400 (Lotus super7)my race car
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06
1965 AC Cobra (Factory Five)

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: December 14, 2017 04:25PM

Congrats from California!smileys with beer I think you will find that your Greenbrier will be as much fun driving from the Left side of the seat and on the Left side of the road, as is has been over here on the other side of the road and other side of the pond!thumbs up

Corventure Dave

Date: December 20, 2017 01:09AM

Ran into my first problem last night. I thought a trip to the shops would be a good opportunity to take the van out. I'm a bit out of practice with a choke so that was the first challenge.

Van turned over a bit, then wouldn't stop unless I wiggled the ignition switch even though the key was out! Anyway shortly after this I had now power at all, battery had died. I removed it and popped it on charge but though it quickly showed 12v it was clearly terminal inside. I abandoned the trip to the shops but did take the battery out of my Miata and the Greenbrier fired up first time.

So it looks like new battery time and I'm not keen on the positive terminal which seems to just push on without any kind of bolt clamp on it so I think I'll change that too.

Not surprised the battery has gone. The van was standing for a good 2 years before I bought it and since I bought it home it's been residing outside whilst I clear the garage. It's been pretty cold here and it's snowed which I guess has finished it off.

Posted by: curt ()
Date: December 20, 2017 06:41AM

Nice!

Date: December 20, 2017 07:56AM

DF,
A "Group 51" size is a "Honda" battery that is slim enough to fit into the well, and should still be available on the market.
You can tighten the terminal connection by squeezing with some larger pliers.
You may also want to get a new ignition switch since it sounds like an internal fault that kept it in "start" mode.

When you get a moment, go to "Control Center" using the link at the middle top of the message editing box, then create a "signature" line with your name and location and your Corvair model. Then go to "Forum Settings" check "yes" to attach it by default.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: December 20, 2017 07:48PM

dolomitefan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> So it looks like new battery time and I'm not keen
> on the positive terminal which seems to just push
> on without any kind of bolt clamp on it so I think
> I'll change that too.

I guess it's your choice, but I really like the original spring-end clamp.
Really fast and easy to remove or put back in place.
I use Channellock pliers.

Kevin
Medina, OH

Date: December 21, 2017 12:44AM

I think the positive clamp is pretty manky (do you use that word in the US?) and quite corroded. The existing battery was not clamped into the tray so I'll be fashioning something to hold it more securely. I work for a classic car company and fortunately we have a lot of items on the shelf, I just need some daylight and half an hour and it'll be sorted.

The positive terminal may clean up OK, I'll see, I won't commit to replacing it just yet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.