home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Looking for an all-in-one shop in Los Angeles...
Posted by: alpha1906 ()
Date: December 11, 2017 03:10PM

Hey all,

About 25 years after I had a '65 Monza convertible, I decided to buy a project '66 Corsa (blue car). I'm looking to create a nice weekend auto cross (maybe track car if I can convince my wife) car (the red is my inspiration), and I wanted to work with a shop that can do everything from quality body work to the mechanical over the next six to nine months or so. Not trying to make it into a concourse show car, just a REALLY nice looking and driving car. Does anyone know of a shop they'd recommend in the Los Angeles area? If so, could you please email me: alpha1906@gmail.com Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2017 04:27PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for an all-in-one shop in Los Angeles...
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 11, 2017 04:28PM

Welcome to the CCF!

What HP are you planning for? What trans does the car use?

ps see you used tinypic.... change "Default" to 17" and the pics will fit better

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: December 11, 2017 04:44PM

We looked at that Fresno Craigslist Corsa...I'll bet you stole it.

Date: December 11, 2017 05:32PM

Pretty much!!! I kept looking at it over and over...trying to figure out why it was so low with no body issues. And so I just made an offer, unseen. I had a guy go pick it up and he said that he thought it was basically a Dad who wanted the kid's car gone. I was more than happy to oblige.

Date: December 11, 2017 05:34PM

Sorry about the pic size, and thanks for the welcome! I'd gotten in contact with Ray Sedman about building a 140 engine out to around 250hp. It has a four speed manual. But I'm open to seeing my options.

Posted by: Chi2 ()
Date: December 11, 2017 07:04PM

Hi Alpha,

PM Mark Wright, "solo2r" on this forum. He is LA-based, a great mechanic and an autocrosser. He works with Ray on all sorts of stuff. And then join South Coast Corsa (SCC) to hang with some other vairy cool guys!

Jon
Enrolled in the Culver City Automotive School of Hard Knocks
============================================================
Member of South Coast Corsa
-1964 Greenbrier "The Dog Hauler" Rustoleum Charmer 110hp/4sp/.030 over/Pertronics I/Isky 270 Cam
-1962 Monza Club Coupe "Shaken, not stirred" Tuxedo Black with Red Interior 140hp/4sp/Pertronics I/Clark's 260 Cam

Posted by: JamesD ()
Date: December 11, 2017 09:00PM

Hello Alpha,

This looks like a wonderful project!  I have a project car, and I have learned two hard rules about a project:

1.  It takes longer.

2.  It costs more.

If you keep these simple rules in mind, you will finish your project with a modicum of sanity.

Good luck and have fun!

James
'65 Corsa 4-speed, '65 Corsa V8                                                       Santa Clarita, CA.
“I may not always drive a car, but when I do, I prefer a Corvair.  Stay loose, my friends.”

Date: December 11, 2017 11:38PM

JamesD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello Alpha,
>
> This looks like a wonderful project!  I have a
> project car, and I have learned two hard rules
> about a project:
>
> 1.  It takes longer.
>
> 2.  It costs more.
>
> If you keep these simple rules in mind, you will
> finish your project with a modicum of sanity.

With the kid in college now, I've got nothing but time to tell more great lies to my friends over beer. LOL
>
> Good luck and have fun!

Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: December 12, 2017 07:09AM

Welcome to the forum. Yeah...that one was in my backyard. I looked at it, and have too many projects going right now, so...Glad you saved her, and I will be looking to see a build thread here. Good looking out...

-m

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Date: December 12, 2017 02:59PM

Decoding the body tag of the Corvair. Why was I destined to buy it? It was produced during the three week of February '66. When was I born? February 20, 1966. It's just been waiting for me to pick it up for 51 years.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: December 13, 2017 04:04AM

Maybe you should look at the body work and mechanical work from seperate providors. I've had to redo work done from general restoration shops who don't have Corvair experience. Of course there's probably more shop choices in the LA area.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.