Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT: "TipToeTouch" Power Brakes
Posted by: rnch ()
Date: December 11, 2017 08:31AM

I was talking with my sister last night; going over the cars our Mom & Dad had in the 1960's.

We both remembered how my Mother's right arm would instinctively fly out from her side, at a 90 degree right angle, to brace any kid that was riding in the front seat of her various power braked equipped station wagons, when she had to brake suddenly.

eye popping smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: "TipToeTouch" Power Brakes
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: December 11, 2017 04:32PM

Yes, I think that most kids from the '60s remember "The Sudden Braking Smack-down!" spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Since Mom's eyes were on the road, and not her passengers, sometimes it was the chest, sometimes the gut, and occasionally, . . . the FACE !eye popping smiley
Oh well, better her hand than the dashboard, cause none of us wore seat-belts back then.

Which brings up, how many remember being relegated to the backseat when the front was full, and being bounced off the back of the front-seat during hard braking because No one slapped an arm across your chest back there?

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: December 11, 2017 04:37PM

While I do remember this well... The funniest thing is a buddy of mine who is a few years older. As adults to this day he will still do that while driving. Even to me as a passenger! Gotten to the point he will say sorry as he does it while wincing expecting the inevitable punch I'll give him for it!

Posted by: David Malcolm ()
Date: December 11, 2017 06:49PM

I do remember landing on the backseat floor of my parents 1950 Studebaker on a sudden stop on the Norther State Parkway.
Years after seat belts I still do occasionally put my arm out across my wife even though she's got the 3-pt belt on. Regression comes with age.

David Malcolm
1969 Monza PG Coupe
NJ near the Meadowlands

Posted by: Cfred ()
Date: December 12, 2017 05:54PM

I still instinctively do the "arm restraint" with the little grandkids...

Fred
Palm Desert, CA

61 Lakewood with 64 front & rear suspension
& front disc brakes
62 Monza Wagon, in progress

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.