Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Corvair oil starvation in turns?
Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: December 10, 2017 09:35AM

I've read about some cars experiencing oil starvation in the sweeping turns of road course racing, a friend actually had this happen to his Malibu at the Pigeon Forge Autocross. Is this a problem in a Corvair, I've not seen anyone talk about it? Should I run my oil a bit more full while autocrossing or road racing? Do I need an oil management system?

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Corvair oil starvation in turns?
Date: December 10, 2017 09:52AM

Sounds like you need a windage tray between the block and the oil pan to keep the oil from sloshing away from the pickup. You can make your own and many of us racers do (did), or check the Otto Parts pages of the Clark's catalog for a "baffle."

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: December 10, 2017 09:55AM

Depends on how sticky your tires are (how high a cornering force your car can attain) and how sustained the curves are.

Best to run oil at FULL level..

Otto Parts (and now Clark's) offers a "baffle system" - small pieces of sheet metal attached under lifter bores to inhibit oil flow back into the push rod tubes / heads.

Guess I am wrong on this - about Otto / Clark's, but I know I have seen them somewhere.

Maybe Seth / someone will know the origin.

Also, an Otto Parts oil pan and matching pickup may help some.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2017 10:00AM by RobertC.

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: December 10, 2017 10:06AM

The "baffles" that I referred to above are shown in a picture of the block in this thread:

[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 10, 2017 10:33AM

Normally "starvation" is not a problem... it oil FLOODING the outside head...

Just like our Carbs....

You either rotate the carbs 90 deg. or Relocate the jets, or Keep the float levels high and run extended vent tubes...

On my "SpeedSkater" I ran a deep pan... custom pickup and only 3 qt's of oil... and rotated carbs...

Worked for me.... Street / Off road / Autocross..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: December 10, 2017 10:33AM

Search 'yenkomark' here he offers stinger style windage trays.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: December 10, 2017 12:28PM

At one of my previous automotive employers, we put a late Corvair on the skid pad. After a couple of rotations it seized on the crankshaft. We got the data but the failure was a disappointment.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: December 10, 2017 01:43PM

Don - There are a hundred different ways of addressing this issue. A totally stock Corvair will usually have fuel starvation issues before losing much oil pressure in a Corner. Then you add sticky tires. Fuel still gives up sooner. So you add vent tubes and raise the float levels. Now you corner faster and come off course with a ticking lifter of two, and maybe some smoke on one side. Now you have to address the oil issue. The simple, easy way - but not the cheapest - is to buy a deeper pan, pickup and a baffle. Mark Gillespie sells one that will work. Also noted in "How to Keep Your Corvair Alive" Richard Finch's design, much like Marks. You can also go to the Otto Parts Pan, baffle spacer and pickup. These "systems" address both issues: 1) keeping oil around the pick-up, so you won't be trying to pump air, and 2) keeping oil in the sump from climbing into the heads, via the drain-back necessary push-rod tubes. That last set-up is what I have run, even on the Lola formula car with the Vair motor. No oil issues.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: December 10, 2017 02:09PM

After reading the wisdom here, I doubt I'd have much problem with the Vair. It has a Clark's aluminum pan and I run a 200 tire that works pretty well but not super wide. I haven't noticed any oil smoke nor extra lifter noise. I get fuel starvation but doesn't bother me enough to make the mods to correct it. Right now I only run a few events a year and I think the time I loose from a little stumble I can live with, I'm more about fun than having a trophy. My thoughts are have my pan full when I start and thinking about paralleling a alarm horn to my idiot light so if the pump sucks air I'll notice.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.