home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Tumanator's 1964 Spyder Project
Posted by: Tumanator ()
Date: December 09, 2017 11:18PM

I've started this topic to share with the community my efforts to create a 1964 Corvair Spyder Convertible that is a reliable "semi-daily driver," quick (a.k.a zippy or peppy), but most importantly a UNIQUE and COOL head-turner!

Up front - I'm NOT a purist. I'm not a fan of trailer queens or "showroom/original restorations" that the owner refuses to (or is afraid to) drive.

Cars are designed, manufactured, and intended for one purpose only - TO BE DRIVEN! And if not daily...OFTEN!

So, my journey begins....

Attached are photos of the "Spyder Tribute" I purchased for $1500 that the former owner (deceased) was building using a 1964 Monza Convertible. Spyder dash and Turbo 150 motor were in it when I bought it.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tumanator's 1964 Spyder Project
Posted by: irvan ()
Date: December 10, 2017 04:21AM

Welcome

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: December 10, 2017 06:44AM

Looks like you're off to a great start! smileys with beer

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Tumanator's 1964 Spyder Project
Date: December 10, 2017 12:35PM

I wanted to add a few more photos of the 64 as it was when I purchased it, but wanted to say a few additional things first.

1. In my initial post I shared my personal philosophy about restoring classic cars and I think I sounded a bit negative or judgmental towards those who are purists, choose to restore cars for shows/concourse purposes, or prefer to not drive a perfectly restored car. No insult intended and I hope none taken by any readers. I'm a huge fan of Corvairs, especially perfectly restored ones, but intend for this project to result in a Corvair I drive regularly to "share with the world!"

2. I have been TREMENDOUSLY inspired by the restorations, projects, tips-n-tricks, and knowledge sharing that happens here on the forums. Not to mention the wealth of information contained and preserved here! I'm proud to be part of such an awesome community of Corvair enthusiasts!

3. Alright, enough blather, from here on out these posts will be about the project...

4. Attached are photos of the interior (Spyder dash) and engine compartment (Turbo 150 - 65 Powerglide block with 64 Turbo Heads) on date of purchase.

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 10, 2017 12:40PM

PO did a decent conversion!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Fuel System - Tumanator's 1964 Spyder Project
Date: December 11, 2017 10:00PM

Just thought I'd throw up some fuel system photos for any who are interested.

PO installed aviation grade fuel lines, a gate valve "cutoff" at the fuel tank (came in VERY handy while cleaning fuel lines/filter!), a 100 micron inline filter, a Holley electric fuel pump (but no post-pump filter e.g. 40 micron), and a pressure regulator inside the engine compartment.

I added the fuel pressure gauge while troubleshooting an excessive fuel problem. Spec is 4-5 psi, but this regulator was pushing 7-8!

You may also note the "birds nest" of wires for the fuel-kill relay, and a non-standard oil line routing with a block for sensors.

Have the Carter YH off for rebuild right now, and I'll talk about the "almost seized" turbocharger in my next post.

Attachments:

Turbocharger - Tumanator's 1964 Spyder Project
Date: December 11, 2017 10:14PM

Turbocharger in fairly decent shape minus the fact the it was almost, but not quite seized! Even knowing the threads were left-handed, could NOT get it apart and didn't want to damage it during my "first-ever" Turbo rebuild!

Drove it up to Jeff at California Corvairs in Chino for a rebuild.

BTW - Jeff is an AWESOME guy who gave me and my son an AWESOME welcome to the Corvair community by giving us a brief tour of his facility, sharing some Corvair history, providing a LOT of knowledge/insight, and even making sure my son left with a T-shirt! Was also greatly impressed by his parts inventory (I don't think there's much he DOESN'T have!), how meticulously organized his operation is, and most importantly his sincerity, friendliness, and professionalism. I know where I'll be shopping throughout this and all future rebuilds/restorations!

Attachments:

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: December 11, 2017 10:43PM

Yup.
It IS a Corvair!
See!
It is flipped over! grinning smiley

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: December 12, 2017 11:10AM

Here you go! Have lots of small zip lock bags and a marker.
Once you get started, keep doing things. Even if it's little things. All will carry you to the great gratification of a finished project you can admire and enjoy!smileys with beer

Corventure Dave

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: December 12, 2017 12:40PM

Also, almost everyone has a digital camera or a cell phone these days. Lots of PICs cost nothing. My memory is not what it used to be.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: December 12, 2017 04:06PM

Just wondering, what’s your name and location? Nice project!

Dan
Chandler, AZ
1966 Corsa Turbo Convertible
[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: December 12, 2017 04:56PM

You might want to check your distributor number to make sure it's a turbo distributor. From your picture, what's supposed to be a "Pressure retard" can is actually a "Vacuum Advance" can from a non-turbo.

Maybe just the wrong can, maybe the whole distributor is wrong. (And maybe it's a custom-aftermarket advance/retard combo unit but not likely)

First pic is your dist.
Second pic is a turbo pressure retard. Note black color on half the can, ridge on hose nipple, and no gap between advance arm and retard canister.

The distributor number is stamped onto the distributor body just below the cap. It's always hard to find and you may need a little mirror.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Attachments:

Date: December 12, 2017 06:49PM

Dan,

Nice Corsa! My name is Ken and I'm in San Diego area.

Date: December 12, 2017 06:59PM

Craig,

You Sir have an excellent eye! Those pictures were BEFORE my trip up to California Corvairs to drop off the Turbo for rebuild. While there, I purchased a retard can and it is now installed.

Thank you for the tip on the distributor number! I'll verify and report my results here!

Since you've got such a sharp eye, you may note the screw head holding the advance/can on is "incorrect." The threads were stripped in the distributor housing and after tapping I had to use a slightly larger thread screw to ensure a tight/secure fit.

And with this picture/post, I'm up to where I'm currently at with the project. All new posts will be "what I'm doing now" as opposed to "what I've already done."

-------------------------------------------------
Ken (a.k.a. "Tumanator")
San Diego, CA
1964 Monza Convertible (masquerading as Spyder tribute with Spyder Dash/Turbo 150 motor)
1964 Spyder Convertible (bare body on blocks)
1963 Buick Special Convertible (215 V8/4 Speed Manual)
1966 Impala 2DR Hardtop (rusting in my father's barn - future "barn find" even though I put it there!)

Attachments:
Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: December 12, 2017 07:28PM

Heck of a project you've got going!!

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.