home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Its winter, does your heater smell or give you headaches
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: December 09, 2017 07:19PM

This is a poll and suggestions. Its winter and some folks have smells and lack of heat from their Vair heater. Mine works fine, it cooks me, but its a turbo with more heat. I have had odor issues over the years, but there was always a reason. Please post your issues and corrections. A million vairs made, the direct air heater works, BUT.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Its winter, does your heater smell or give you headaches
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 09, 2017 07:25PM

before winter My Vairs always get a Laundry detergent "Rinse" thru the fan on a warm engine running..with heater ON

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: December 09, 2017 07:44PM

Dull Headache can be one possible symptom of CO Poisoning.
Carbon Monoxide is serious, serious as a Heart Attack is!!!!

IF IN DOUBT, CHECK IT OUT AND DETERMINE THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE CO ENTERING THE HEATER SUPPLY CHANNEL.

see this Mayo Clinic link about Carbon Monoxide Poisoning and its symptoms.
[www.mayoclinic.org]

Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: December 09, 2017 08:13PM

No odors in either of mine, just very hot air.

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown V8 mounted mid-body temporarily red lined for repair
House Springs, Missouri

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: December 09, 2017 08:16PM

It could be oil fumes and/or CO2 poisoning.

Small aircraft usually have hot air heaters using the engine exhaust manifold, like the Corvair. When using this type of heater pilots wear a CO2 detector, or have an electronic unit with an alarm. Usually no problems, but it only takes once to kill you, or at the least make you sick.

CO2 poisoning is serious and can even happen with lots of "fresh air" around. The body absorbs CO2 much easier than oxygen. When the body CO2 reaches a certain level you suffer paralysis and stop breathing.

Safe to get a CO2 monitor to use when the heater is on.

See [www.sportys.com]

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 09, 2017 08:20PM

Just plug the tailpipe while the engine is idling and see if it dies... no leaks..

If you have duals.... use both hands!!! ggg

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: December 09, 2017 08:54PM

I have never had an issue with smells or amount of heat in a vair in even the coldest weather. Stop oil leaks and make sure lower shrouds are clean.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: December 09, 2017 09:40PM

My Spyder's PO bragged about it not having any smells but it's horrible even with the blower barely working and all the air dilution from the vents not sealing at all.

Posted by: David Malcolm ()
Date: December 09, 2017 09:57PM

Mine works fine but I do have one of those CO detectors from Sporty's Pilot Shop. Can't be too cautious with carbon monoxide.

David Malcolm
1969 Monza PG Coupe
NJ near the Meadowlands

Date: December 10, 2017 05:11AM

Lay one of these on the floor near the heater output, cheap enough for Corvair owners.

[www.walmart.com]

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: curt ()
Date: December 10, 2017 06:11AM

I have a carbon monoxide alarm on the back floor just in front of
the heater out let. Keep batteries fresh each year.

Posted by: Allan Lacki ()
Date: December 10, 2017 06:16AM

Chevrolet issued a recall notice about Corvair heaters in 1971. This is something every Corvair owner should know about.

By that time, many Corvairs had been resold by the original owners, so Chevy couldn't get in touch with a number of the then-current owners. But under pressure from the NHTSA, they made an effort.

Here is the full text of the recall. The particular recipient of this letter owned a '61 Corvair.

CHEVROLET MOTOR DIVISION
General Motors Corporation
Central Office
General Motors Building
Detroit, Michigan 48202

December, 1971

Dear Corvair Owner:

This letter is being sent to you pursuant to the defect notification provisions of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has made an initial determination that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists with respect to the 1965 model year Corvair engine/heater system. This initial determination states that the Corvair direct air heating system "creates an unreasonable risk of accidents and injury to persons in that engine fumes are transferred from the engine compartment into the passenger compartment, and such engine fumes do, in some cases, contain carbon monoxide in sufficient concentrations to harm or endanger the occupants of the vehicle."

Of a group of 292 1961-1969 Corvairs tested for the Traffic Safety Administration, six 1965 Corvairs were found to have a carbon monoxide level in the passenger compartment exceeding 200 parts per million under certain simulated driving conditions. Exposure for eight or more hours to 200 parts per million of carbon monoxide was identified as a sufficient exposure to result in a marked degradation of the abilities of a healthy adult make to perform as an alert and responsible driver. Similar adverse effects can be produced in less time by greater concentrations. In addition, adverse effects to the health of some vehicle occupants may result from lesser concentrations of carbon monoxide, given sufficient exposure.

Chevrolet does not agree with the initial determination of a defect which was made by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. It is Chevrolet's position that there is no such risk if the Corvair has been regularly inspected and properly maintained and is in good working order.

Rather than engage in a controversy with the Traffic Safety Administration, Chevrolet is mailing this defect notification letter to all owners of 1961 through 1969 model Corvairs to advise them of this initial determination by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Records available to Chevrolet indicate that you are the owner of a (1961) Corvair. Event though the initial determination of the Traffic Safety Administration by its terms was limited to the 1965 Corvair, this notification letter is being sent to you because the type of direct air heater on the (1961) model Corvair is similar to the direct air heater on the 1965 Corvair.

We strongly urge that you have a Chevrolet dealer inspect the engine, the exhaust system, and the direct air heater system of your Corvair. We believe that if a Corvair has been regularly inspected and properly maintained and is in good working order, it will operate without danger of exhaust fumes entering the passenger compartment through the direct air heater. However, if the vehicle is not regularly inspected and properly maintained, conditions could develop which may permit exhaust fumes to enter the passenger compartment through this heater.

All engine exhaust fume contain a percentage of carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is tasteless, colorless, and odorless. Engine exhaust fumes containing a sufficient concentration of carbon monoxide, if inhaled for a long enough period of time, can harm or endanger the occupants of a vehicle.

In addition to having a precautionary inspection of your Corvair at this time, if you ever suspect that any of the following conditions exist, your Corvair should be promptly inspected and, if necessary, repaired. Should it be necessary to continue to drive your car before inspection and necessary repairs can be made, the heater should be shut off and a window rolled down.

Cylinder Head Gasket

Exhaust fumes inside the passenger compartment from a leaking cylinder head gasket normally will be accompanied by noticeable odors and may cause an eye-burning sensation. There also may be an associated hissing or spitting noise from the engine.

Exhaust System

A damaged or deteriorated exhaust system in combination with a damaged or deteriorated engine compartment perimeter seal or heater hose, or exhaust fume leakage past the manifold sleeve, under certain condition can permit exhaust fumes to intrude inside the passenger compartment through the heater system without noticeable accompanying odor. Visual inspection should be made at normal maintenance intervals to verify that the exhaust system is in good condition, that the tailpipe outlet is located in the original design position, and that the heater hoses and engine compartment seals are in place and in good condition.

Chevrolet dealers can provide all service required by you in the inspection and correction of any of the conditions referred to in this letter. Inspection and repairs are maintenance items and, like all other maintenance requirements, are the responsibility of the owner.

Your Chevrolet dealer has been provided with complete information and instructions relating to the inspection, repair, and maintenance of your Corvair engine/heater system. Chevrolet strongly urges that you see him promptly and regularly.

Please return the enclosed pre-printed replay card either direct to Chevrolet or present it to you Chevrolet dealer if your vehicle is made available for inspection.

Chevrolet Motor Division
General Motors Corporation

Enclosure

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2017 06:20AM by Allan Lacki.

Attachments:

Posted by: Frogfinder ()
Date: December 10, 2017 07:48PM

Yes. Back in the 70's i would drive in weather so cold that the radio would feel warm to my frozen hands. I would create a small fire in the ashtray to stay warm.

jeff

66 Corsa 140 4 spd
Houston, Tx

Posted by: jimc ()
Date: December 10, 2017 08:45PM

One item few of us may ever check, except during a head overhaul or exhaust replacement - the Corvair exhaust tubes.

Not so much the exhaust tube wall would rust thru, but the steel tube flange where the exhaust packings mate to the cast iron manifold logs, I have found soft, bent and distorted exhaust flanges that could prevent the packings from sealing properly. Best check those and replace if needed. You would hope that all/most of the exhaust fumes/carbon monoxide would exit out the rear doors, but do not bet your life on it!

Household carbon monoxide detectors are NOT a good choice for an automobile or aviation compartment due to the relatively small size, since the home unit is designed to read dangerous carbon monoxide levels based on larger area volumes. A household unit may not register a dangerous reading level until after you have already been exposed to deadly carbon monoxide levels and passed out or die!

Regards.

Jimc
1965 Corsa
HACOA Member

CORSA 2017 Concours Senior Gold Award
AACA 2015 Award

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: December 10, 2017 09:34PM

Jimc,
I would like to see some documentation on that. I would think the opposite would be true if there is any difference at all. All such devices I've heard of measure PPM which is a percentage. Not that I've paid much attention to them...

Date: December 11, 2017 04:56AM

I would have to agree with Jimc. The ones I own, have a digital display. PPM is PPM and if not zero something is wrong. Having one close the heater discharge would make it even more sensitive than waiting for a slow build up in your house. If someone has documentation that shows otherwise, I am always willing to learn.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: December 11, 2017 05:45AM

Well that's interesting. I carry a household battery operated CO detector in my Spyder as well. Mine is velcro'd to the carpet between the front seats. Even if it doesn't work my saving grace is my car is a drafty convertible!

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: December 11, 2017 07:05AM

I would think if reading in ppm, which my house one does, it would not matter the size of the room enclosure. As stated above it is a percent of the total air it is measuring. However, in a small enclosure the ppm has the ability to change much more rapidly. This is where sampling rate would be important. If it only measures once every 15 min (to save battery life) you could be exposed to alot of CO in that time period.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: MonzaDave ()
Date: December 11, 2017 07:59AM

I have one of these on my Corvair key ring -- it's also very useful in other than Corvair situations.
[www.aircraftspruce.com]

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Posted by: thumper477 ()
Date: December 11, 2017 02:44PM

Read the "defect notification" letter from GM carefully.No repairs are provided for free.Any work done is at the expense of the owner.Big bunch of bull s--t if you ask me.True recalls are performed at the car maufacturers expense for parts and labor.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.