Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Oh' What Fun I've Had Today
Posted by: Freeman ()
Date: December 08, 2017 04:51PM

Being a bit on the chilly side today I decided I would turn on the electric fire (hey don't laugh, it was 26 below 70 today) in the garage and work on assembling my steering box. First things first, was to inventory all the little small parts after the clean up. Forty eight tiny balls, check, ball bearing guides, check, three cover bolts with washers, check, lash adjusting screw with shim............. oh crap, no screw or shim.

My brain starts to race and then ding, I remember when cleaning the internals several days ago I heard something drop into the trash can just under my bench. I proceeded to spend the next 2 hours sifting through 10 gallons of dirt, greasy paper towels, all the suspension parts, bushings old ball joints and whatever else that got thrown in there over the past two weeks. I did this not once but three times to no avail. I had reached my wits end and had come inside to go on the interweb search for that little screw and shim but after 30 minutes realized that this was in fact a rare little part. My next plan was to compose a request for help from my CC friends but decided to have one more look around the work bench.

Well after moving everything from around the bench I was headed towards the light switch to call it a day and go soak my sorrows in beer when what do I see, yep, it's that little screw and shim, six feet away from the bench on the floor still covered in grease.

I was so happy to find it that I decided to sit back down at the bench and clean it up for assembly and after a little wiping sat it on the bench and turned to get a wire brush and wouldn't you know it, the screw complete with the shim rolled off the bench and on to the floor. No big deal right, not a chance cause since I wiped it down, the shim was now free to separate itself from the screw and take flight to other parts unknown.

As you can imagine, I'm not the happiest guy in the world right now and after a cursory review of the surrounding area realized that I was going to have to crawl around on my hands and knees, again in search of the little shim. I decided this since I was already sore from the last 2 hours of bending and crawling that I would grab my foam rubber knee pad, six feet away and low and behold, there was that little shim propped up against my pad taking a well deserved rest from it's travels around the garage.

Needless to say, I screwed the screw and shim into the top cover, turned out the lights and walked away with hopes that tomorrow will be a better day.

Freeman
Rowlett, TX
62 Monza "AirVair"

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Oh' What Fun I've Had Today
Date: December 08, 2017 05:05PM

A plastic bin with divided compartments is the way to go when dealing with those kind of traveling parts.
You should have gone for the beer sooner, eh? smileys with beer

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 08, 2017 05:08PM

You worked harder today than you ever planned to!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Chris Lampe ()
Date: December 08, 2017 06:06PM

Freeman,

Are you sure that's the same same steering box you showed me on Tuesday? The one you showed me on Tuesday was covered in 50 years of grime. As far as your disappearing small parts go here's your solution for those.

3 bucks at HF, Hey isn't there a HF a mile from you grinning smiley

Chris
Rowlett, Tx
NTCA - North Texas Corvair Association
CORSA
'64 Monza 'vert

Date: December 08, 2017 07:52PM

Dan, I am one who usually bags and tags everything as it is coming apart. Everything that came off or out of the box was in my organizer except for the adjustment screw. I can't for the life of me figure out how it got away from me in the first place.

Matt, wouldn't have been so bad if I had actually accomplished something.

Chris, should have taken a picture of it for sure. It was caked on pretty thick and hard. Amazing what a few hours and a set of dentist tools will do for 50 year old grunge.

Freeman
Rowlett, TX
62 Monza "AirVair"

Posted by: Vin ()
Date: December 08, 2017 10:57PM

Sometimes we are the windshield and sometimes we are the bug. Sounds like you had a bug moment. But you will be a windshield tomorrow! And you have a nice looking steering box now for sure.

Vin

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: December 09, 2017 06:32AM

Had a similar situation where a ball from bearing assembly dropped off the bench and I could not find it after many hours of looking.
I then sent in reinforcements, I told my 10 year old daughter, at the time, that I would give her $5 if she found it. She had it in 2 min! winking smiley She is now almost 19 I think it would cost me much more.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: December 09, 2017 07:07AM

I dropped a little BB-sized small part like that once and like you, search and searched until I finally gave up in frustration. Later than afternoon, I found it inside my tennis shoe when I stopped to remove what I thought was a small pebble.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible
65 Monza 4DR 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T w/5-speed

Posted by: jmaechtlen ()
Date: December 09, 2017 10:03AM

Yeah, it can be real frustrating when stuff runs and hides.
The trick is to know when to take a break vs. keep looking. Another technique is to use that as an excuse/reason to go around and pick stuff up and clean the area.
My workspace tends to accumulate tools and debris until I HAVE to clean it up!

Posted by: Chris Lampe ()
Date: December 09, 2017 02:11PM

I had a similar occurrence several times at work years ago, there was this small assembly that I had to work on, clean and rebuild. It had two tiny E-clips that when removed would always run and hide. However they always seemed to reappear in my machinist's parts bin on his bench. winking smiley

Chris
Rowlett, Tx
NTCA - North Texas Corvair Association
CORSA
'64 Monza 'vert

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: December 09, 2017 02:56PM

Last steering box I did, the one for the car that is now rnch's.... I had all the parts cleaned and in containers. I sat down at the table to reassemble, I hit something that hit a screwdriver and launched all the little balls in the air. Took several hours to find all of them, including bribing my kids to help search.

Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: December 09, 2017 03:11PM

I'm showing up late on this....that's a god story. How many time have we all done this in the garage.

I'd guesstimate I've had 99.5% success rate in finding flying fasteners.

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe (under Construction) Getting close.

Date: December 09, 2017 11:22PM

Thanks for all the related stories. Misery loves company.

While rebuilding a transmission in my old 98 Tracker, I lost control of a very strong clip about the thickness and diameter of a quarter that flew the length of the garage that I could not find. Called a Chevy parts dealer a few states over and he found one, put it in an envelope and shipped it express, for free. The only reason I know how far it flew was because I found it a year later on top of a box on a shelf.

Freeman
Rowlett, TX
62 Monza "AirVair"

Date: December 10, 2017 10:00AM

Back together again with all parts in place. smiling smiley

Freeman
Rowlett, TX
62 Monza "AirVair"

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.