home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Shoehorning a corvair 140 into my 914 - Help Needed
Posted by: bigbooster ()
Date: December 08, 2017 06:18AM

I've decided to finally do an engine swap on my Volks-Porsche 914 and bought myself a clean 140 engine. I just started tearing it down for a rebuild and to put in all of the reverse rotation goodies. I've gone through every thread about putting a vair flat 6 into various Volkswagens (thanks Dr. Evil) and have a pretty good idea of what I need to do. Still a few things are a bit hazy for me, and any tips would really help. One thing that would help more is some of the reverse rotation parts. Before I empty my wallet onto eBay, does anyone have any spare conversion parts lying around? I would rather buy from a forum member here than through eBay. If anyone wants to trade them for some of the parts I have from the 140 I got the engine from, I would be happy to do so also. I have a 3 foot high pile of parts and windows in my garage that I would be happy to send to a new home.

I know I'm officially "that guy" for taking one of your engines for my 914 build, but any help would really go a long way.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shoehorning a corvair 140 into my 914 - Help Needed
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: December 08, 2017 06:51AM

WELCOME!!! Where are you and what is your name?

What you're doing has been done a few times.

So lots of help available here at Corvair Center.

[corvaircenter.com]

Date: December 08, 2017 06:58AM

My name is Ben, and I'm relatively new to pretty much everything. The 914 is my first project car, welding job, engine swap, suspension swap, paint job... Well you get the picture. I'm in South Florida, and I do have to say that everyone on this forum is extremely welcoming. I was half expecting to be sent to the stake for doing the swap.smileys with beer

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: December 08, 2017 07:28AM

We love anything that has the word Corvair in it.

We're not like the other forums...see my hot rod below.

Anything from total stock to full customs are welcome.

We do really dig pictures...post yours here please.

Attachments:

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: December 08, 2017 07:33AM

Welcome to CCF. There is another current thread about Corvair into 914 and lots of pics. I have a couple of adapter plates but no flywheels and no new or used cams. Probably best to buy new cam/dist gears instead of trusting bad descriptions on ebay about used parts. Do you have reverse engine building instructions from Crown? I can copy mine, look for PM from me in a few minutes.

Good luck with the swap, the 914 is transformed a bunch when you get it on the road. Mountain roads are most fun but you will have to look for mountains in So Florida. grin

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: martyscarr ()
Date: December 08, 2017 08:54AM

PM sent

Posted by: spyder1 ()
Date: December 08, 2017 09:19AM

I have Kennedy adapter for the Corvair engine it is
on a 914 transmission. I also have the tail shift and
a side shift 914 transmission. Let me know what parts
you need including the 914 shifter tube.

Posted by: ROD ()
Date: December 08, 2017 04:59PM

Mid engine anything is cool in my book. Welcome !

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
65 Corsa Yenko Clone / 65 Corsa EO Creampuff Vert
66 Corsa "JIMISH" Mid engine Turbo LS1 currently 2nd fastest Corvair in the USA
Class 5 Corvair powered Baja
61 Vintage Rampy
Corvair powered Buggy x 3
Enough hidden parts to build a space ship

Posted by: DaveO90s4 ()
Date: December 09, 2017 02:25AM

Hi Ben,

Good on you! I've just completed installing my 140 HP reverse rotation engine into my 75 914. I've not driven it a great deal yet (maybe 250 kms), and I still need to tune the carbs, but the seat of the pants dyno tells me it's as quick as my '84 3.2L Carrera.

The engine will fit with no body modifications whatsoever - so not hard to revert back to the OEM engine if you ever wanted to (would you ever want to though?).

The only fitting modification is to remove the OEM oil cooler cast mount - otherwise that cast piece would hit the front firewall.

You'll need to think about engine mounts - I made a triangulated truss that runs across the firewall and is bolted at each end through the chassis - with ferrules welded in. I can post pictures / dimensions if required. Trans mounts to OEM mounts.

Fan belt is a pretty tight fit hidden down there between engine and firewall - but if you hold your tongue right, and the engine is cold, not impossible to change.

Tinware was a bit tricky - having to mate the external shape of the corvair engine to the internal shape of the 914 engine hole. On each side I made tinware that fitted the engine nicely, and separate tinware that fitted the hole nicely. Then with engine in used small bolts and nuts to overlap one over the other to have a good airtight fit. Used OEM tinware over top of gearbox, with minor mods to provide a good seal.

In the end my engine ended up about 15mm further rearward than intended (due to my engine truss position). Thank goodness I stuffed that up - the alternator now clears the firewall sound deadening. No stuff up and I'd have had to cut away some sound deadening. That 15mm means some tricky stuff needed to line up the rear trans mounting bolts. Tricky but very simple once nutted out (pun intended). If you get stuck with that let me know and I'll post photos of the solution.

Having the trans about 15mm further back meant I had to lengthen the side shift gear rod by that same amount - local machine shop did that for me. (Note to self:- must redrill a new grub screw hole 15mm rear ward of the original hole - just done up tight for now). ANd and and with the front LH corner of the sump now 15mm further aft than intended, the bend on the shift rod clears the sump in all gears.

Its been a fun project and whilst now driveable I'm still tinkering (aren't we all?). Wired up my oil temp gauge - that works off a temp. sensitive dipstick. And wired up my 'tach-adapt' device so that the 6 cyl engine now sends the correct pulse rate to the 4 -cyl tachometer ($65 and worth every cent). Will be wiring up oil pressure gauge in the near future, along with cylinder head temp system.

I've had a huge amount of help from this forum and even though I'm a newcomer I'd be more than pleased to pass on any experience that I've gained from doing my Corvair / 914 conversion. But I've only done it once so I ain't no expert.

One thing that helped me, ironically, was doing it slowly. That gave me a lot of time to become aware of a looming issue and time to think about the optimal way forward.

Regards to all

Dave O

1975 Porsche 914 with 140 HP Corvair reverse rotation engine, zenith 40 TINS, Otto 20 (or 30?) cam, etc, Australia

Date: December 09, 2017 05:42AM

I think the dimensions of the engine mount truss and pictures of the oil filter mount modifications would really help me as there is no set guide for that online. I'm also converting my stock tail shifter to a cable shift linkage so I don't have to worry about adjustjng the physical rods and will end up with a much better feeling shift. Luckily everyone here got back to me really quickly so I don't have to worry about tracking down parts, but it'll still be a while before I can have the whole car done so taking it slow is no problem for me

Posted by: jbyenko77 ()
Date: December 09, 2017 06:19AM

Hi

PM me
I bought an corvair engine that was in a 914
I have mount, exhaust, various sheet metal
I don't have adapter plate and rev dist kit
I do have a few rev cams

Jeff ballard
Camarillo CA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.