Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The joy of owning a mid-rise lift
Posted by: phill66 ()
Date: December 09, 2017 05:11AM

>>Actually it was the first weekend warm enough to work outside in 1969.

That would be early '69, so that would make the car around four years old at the
time of your major overhaul?

A testament to vehicle reliability back in the day. Of course I'm sure it wasn't
abused?

Also, are those Beatle Boots?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The joy of owning a mid-rise lift
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: December 09, 2017 07:27AM

""That would be early '69, so that would make the car around four years old at the
time of your major overhaul?

A testament to vehicle reliability back in the day. Of course I'm sure it wasn't
abused?""

No it was not an overhaul, it was just a pilot bushing that went terribly bad. It went from a squeal to where the entire car shook no matter how carful the launch. The clutch and flywheel were still fine

Yes the car was run in autocross, hill climbs and drag races. It had several long high speed runs, Pa to Colo Springs, Pa to Iowa. My girlfriend at the time was in Williams port Pa. They had just opened I-80, almost no cops, I would run 90 plus most of the way.

A year later the valves got noisy, pulled the heads, the factory turbo head bronze guides were well past shot at less the 30 K miles.

Back to lifts. When my Dad built our house back in the 50's it had a storage space underneath the garage. In the center of the garage was a pit that ran about 3/4 of the length of the garage. The floor could be solid or pit as needed. The center could be picked up in 30"x4' sections as needed. Needless to say he didn't need to worry where I was when I was a teenager. Lots of friends working on their cars there. We pulled more than several Vair power pack by loosening everything required, then replacing two floor boards, then roll in a skate board, yes skate board, lower the car remove the remaining mount bolts, jack the car back up then roll the power pack out. When my Mom passed away about ten years ago we sold the house to my nephew, the pit is still in use today. He breaks Jeeps. There are still some Vair trannies and parts stored there, but I threw out my spare parts blocks we clean up the property for sale. Its only about 2 miles from my house so I could use it. Since I only work on things a little at a time, I don't want to tie it up.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Options: ReplyQuote
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.