home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Rebuilding a 65 telescopic steering mast
Posted by: fred bagnall ()
Date: December 06, 2017 01:56PM

With all of the talk about telescopic steering lately I thought it is about time that I get around to repairing and installing the 65 telescopic steering that I have. I have disassembled the steering column and found a few parts that need replacement. I am inquiring to those people that have rebuilt one of these before and might have some good insight. The directional signal switch is broken into 4 pieces and needs replacement. I looked in the Clark's catalog and found C9358 switch, which says it is not exact, but will work. I inspected my cancelling cam and can see that it is cracked, but not broken. Lastly I found a piece of spring steel that fell out of the column while disassembly. I don't know where it came from, and I don't see it in the exploded diagram in the 65 shop manual. Maybe it was part of the directional switch ? I have included some pics to show what I am talking about. Has anyone here used the replacement switch, with good results ? The cancelling cam is not available, and mine is cracked but still feels solid. I am thinking maybe a little epoxy to prevent further cracking. All help is appreciated.

64 Greenbrier std -110, 4spd,barn find on the road again after 46 year hiatus.
66 Turbo Corsa, 180hp,posi-trac, quick steering HD suspension,AM-FM-multiplex,soft-Ray glass all around
Floridian currently residing in Nor Cal

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rebuilding a 65 telescopic steering mast
Posted by: vairjunkie ()
Date: December 06, 2017 02:14PM

Hey Fred,
I haven't tried one of the replacement switches but assume it fits and works correctly? I have a NOS switch but not sure I want to sell it since it's the only one I've ever seen. The turn signal actuator arm (to the right of your switch) or whatever it's called, should be available and I do have a few spares available.
The spring metal piece mounts under the horn button and over the horn contact tower.
Good luck with the rebuild!
Eric

Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: December 06, 2017 02:29PM

The repro switches work fine. The cancelling cam is available new from Eckler's or corvette america. The corvette tele columns use the same parts. They also carry the lower bearings if yours is rusted out like mine was.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Date: December 06, 2017 03:08PM

Thanks Eric and Nate, this is the info that I need. The column is fully disassembled and will be cleaned and painted for install. My Corsa has an 66 quickbox and arms, so until reading the previous thread regarding the telescopic column I really wasn't sure if I would be able to use it. There's a large felt seal #41 in the shop manual diagram that needs replacing on my column. What was used by others? Make your own ? Use one for another application ? Thanks again for the help. I never thought to look in the Corvette catalogs. Duh !!!I forgot that the Corvette guys snap these up for retrofitting

66 Turbo Corsa, 180hp,posi-trac, quick steering HD suspension,AM-FM-multiplex,soft-Ray glass all around

Attachments:

Date: December 06, 2017 04:00PM

That piece of felt is also available new

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Date: December 06, 2017 07:12PM

I found the felt washer, but I am not sure if the cancelling cam is correct .It is to the same year Corvette telescopic column but doesn't show enough of the piece to be sure. washer
cam

Date: December 07, 2017 07:33AM

Pretty sure that's the right cam. Other websites that carry the same part show the top side of it and it looks like the corvair unit. That particular picture looks like the center part got whited out when they photoshopped the picture to take out the background. Couple other places that carry the cam:

[www.parts123.com]

[www.chicagocorvette.net]

[www.corvettecentral.com]

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Date: December 07, 2017 09:26AM

Thanks for confirming that for me. I want to make sure that I have the correct parts before ordering, Thanks again Nate .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.