home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Clarks' HD pinion shaft
Posted by: Dave Decker ()
Date: December 04, 2017 07:54AM

My hope is that this message will save someone else a pile of grief. Crown V8 shafts do NOT fit into the HD pinion shafts. Cheers, Dave

Dave, Kamloops, B.C. '65 Crown V8, 2017 Mazda CX3

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clarks' HD pinion shaft
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 04, 2017 07:57AM

Was reported earlier and what what to do to fix it.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: December 04, 2017 08:22AM

If that HD pinion shaft is the CIDCO unit do check the clearances between the pinion shaft and transmission output shaft. It's documented by Dan Drommerhausen and published in CORSA that the 66-69 "Saginaw" pinion shaft was shorter to accommodate the 66-69 transmission output shaft. The CIDCO shaft is shorter than the earlier pinion shaft, but LONGER than the 66-69 Corvair pinion shaft. It does seem to fit the 66-69 and Crown V8 cars O.K., BUT IT IS CLOSE.

Of course CIDCO is no longer, so it was never determined why the CIDCO shaft was a little longer on the transmission side.

Date: December 04, 2017 08:29AM

Thanks Matt. Any chance you could provide a link? Cheers, Dave 66vairman; Was purchased new about 6 years ago, so no idea if it's a Cidco or not. This one is not close and does not fit. Had Mike Levine make me a shaft from a full sized Saginaw tranny mainshaft and it doesn't fit either. Cheers, Dave

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: December 04, 2017 08:49AM

[corvaircenter.com]

Is this the issue?

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date: December 04, 2017 09:00AM

Dave - Didn't mean to confuse, but the tight fit problem and the longer shaft dimension are two different issues.

Here is a discussion of the CIDCO "tight" splines issue.
[corvaircenter.com]

Date: December 04, 2017 12:28PM

Thanks for the links, guys. I'm taking the Mike Levine shaft and my diff to a friends to blue it and try to see where the interference is. If I don't get real lucky and have only OD mainshaft interference, I'll dismantle the diff and send both shafts for machining and fitment. Cheers, Dave

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: December 04, 2017 02:30PM

Dave i used both Cidco and stock shafts with my 540 HP 406 SBC. Sell the Cidco shaft and look for a real good stock 66 shaft,you can use an early shaft too. The speedo gear just goes along for the ride, you do have to shorten the early shaft like the 65 but thats no big deal..
I have a New 64 Shaft I will give you if you like,Ill machine it the right size and put a speedo gear on it. ive never had a stock shaft fail on any of my V8s.Its always been spline wear that caused concern. Let me know if you want to go that route,you wont be disappointed,just give me a week or two as im going racing.
Sorry your having issues. The shop that does my resplining has a nearly new stock pinion shaft they check each one with,unfortunatley the Cidco sometimes fits only very used stock mainshafts. Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2017 02:31PM by v8vair.

Date: December 06, 2017 01:10PM

Dave - check your PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.