home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT need window adjustment for 1950 Bel Air
Posted by: William Pierson ()
Date: December 03, 2017 04:06PM

The door window on my 50 Bel Air is 1/4 inch low at the rear. I have the manuals and they are no help. Any old Chevy guys here ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT need window adjustment for 1950 Bel Air
Posted by: red monza ()
Date: December 03, 2017 04:49PM

I have one....a 49 Fleetline. It has been a while since I did the window adjustment though...there are some screws I am sure that are on the edge of the door....the part you see when you first open the door.

I just pulled my 49 shop manual....no help at all. There is a body manual that is on line somewhere that gives all the info on what you want. If I find the link will pass that along to you but what you want is there...on line.

My 49 was a bear to build....I striped it all the way down to the frame...and yes, there are a lot of trim pieces and some require 2-3 different clips on the same piece if I remember correct....I do know that it was the hardest car to build of any I have done...would NOT touch another 49-54 for any amount of money.

This photo was before any polish or wax...it was at that time just been compounded only...much nicer now for sure. By the way, I still have a lot of stock parts. This car was a one owner 75,000 mile car from Ringold, GA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2017 04:54PM by red monza.

Attachments:
Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: December 04, 2017 10:28AM

Bill - We are all old Chevy guys here. My grandmother had a 50 Fleetline. Not as nice as the 2-door above. With the "fastback" roofline, we called it the "Stone-age Stingray". First car I ever stole. (Long story) Good luck on the adjustment.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: December 04, 2017 01:30PM

Red Monza,
Dont attempt a '49 Buick Convertible! Most challenging car I have done so far! Had power windows and seat but...hydraulically! I rewired whole car, fabricated parts to make the windows and seats electric, install/fabricate an Air Condition system, 454 Chevy with a TH400 trans and lots of trim!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2017 01:31PM by solo2r.

Attachments:

Posted by: bobg1951chevy ()
Date: December 04, 2017 01:36PM

A beautiful Buick !

Bob G., Hendersonville, NC

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan. Purchased in 2000.
1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe Sport Coupe. Purchased in 2014.
1969 Corvair 500 Coupe. # 2671. Purchased in 2017.

Posted by: Mark M ()
Date: December 04, 2017 02:01PM

Bill, would this help?

[www.chevytalk.org]

Mark M
Project: 64 Spyder Vert running 80 hp heads and carbs
1st Vair: 65 Corsa 140
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

"If it's not broken, you're not driving it hard enough"

Posted by: bobg1951chevy ()
Date: December 04, 2017 02:25PM

Hi Larry,

The Fleetline window adjustment steps are different than the steps for the OP

BelAir 2 door H.T., still a "bugger", no matter which one is being adjusted.

Bob G., Hendersonville, NC

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan. Purchased in 2000.
1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe Sport Coupe. Purchased in 2014.
1969 Corvair 500 Coupe. # 2671. Purchased in 2017.

Date: December 04, 2017 02:26PM

William, I think on the door with upholstery removed....there should be 4 large screws I think with Philips head I am thinking....these screws hold the regulator in place...it should tilt a little with all 4 screws loose...you would want to tilt the screws closest to the rear up.....probably not much needed as you will probably lower the front screws as you raise the rear screws ( toward the trunk). Check your fit before doing a final tightening and putting on the inside panel.

That should do it....I have adjusted these regulators in at least 4 cars...took the link for me to remember....don't think the screws are visable in the link photo though...the 4 screws will sorta be at an angle and maybe 6-8 inchs apart top to bottom.

In 3 of the cars, I manufactured power windows...I made them from scratch...the 49 was a night mare, took two weeks everyday to make brackets for the power window motor and clear everything...the two fords took about 2 days to do both front windows.

I had my 49 in a million pieces...maybe I can find some photos that show more detail...again....adjust the lower side up.

Jimmy in Asheville

Date: December 04, 2017 05:38PM

Solo2R....that is one fine Buick !!! And I know what a 3-5 year time span spent on one car is by experience.
Seth, thank you so much for the compliment
The reason I wanted the corvair....I finally wanted a car that would challenge me some that would go back stock....NO cutting the front frame and installing a Monte Carlo front suspension ( takes me about 3 weeks to do and NO alignment needed on any Chevy clip I installed, one with 30,000 miles on it), no changing the engine after I rebuild the engine from 6 to V-8, or 2 of mine had NO engine, re-wiring the whole car from scratch like is showing in your photo...and in this car that included:
Porche frenched in power antenna
Electronic speedometer and gauges ( not easy)
Third brake light
Power wiper motor made from rear Jeep wiper...3-5 days to alter/manufacture
Power window on passenger side...took a long long time
Stereo system with 4 speakers
HEI distributor ( changed to points, speedometer showed 80mph sitting in my driveway)
Custom hidden back up light
Hidden cut off switch for engine
Power trunk opener
Air conditioner and heater
Electric Tach
Custom red interior lighting to accent red interior
And of course, all the lights, engine wiring, and interior wiring, and Monte Carlo fuse panel, etc....all from scratch and all worked at first test.
My 49 has a built/bored 283 with steel crank, 601 Z28 heads with 53cc chamber, 327 cam, Edelbrock polished intake, custom quadrajet carb, 700R overdrive trans with no lock up TC, S-10 3.42 rear. This one has a TCI MII PS front end, tilt column, pwr brakes, REAL 59 chevy steering wheel.
It gets a lot of attention downtown. People will step into the road and block me so they can get a photo of it...they will come out of shops and take photos of it....girls love this car for some reason. We have about 1,000-2,000 people walking downtown at any one time in warm weather....and much more in busy times....Fri/Sat evening. We have a very Progressive city.
As you can tell, I am very proud of this car but if you were to remove the back seat and look at the four letter words I have written on the wheel wells, and some I don't even know what they mean and I have heard it all, it will tell you how hard of a time I had building this car....ALL WORTH IT NOW DRIVING THRU DOWNTOWN and at car shows.

Attachments:

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: December 04, 2017 05:41PM

Nothing technical to add, but solo2r that olds is stunning! Same goes for your car red monza!

Date: December 04, 2017 05:41PM

I did find a progress photo on the 49....took me about 2 hours but I have circled the regulator screws that was mentioned in my previous post.

Jimmy in Asheville

Attachments:
Date: December 04, 2017 06:05PM

Thanks Stig...The wiring I show in the above photo was the rear wiring on the passenger side...the driver side had even more wires going to the back and I could not get any more wires thru the roof line valley on the A pillar...my 51 ford held all the wires in its one A pillar....much bigger.

The front has frenched headlights, smoothed/shaved hood, California one piece bumpers, re-chromed grill...I get tired just typing what has been done to that 49 Fleetline.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.