home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT-Tire Changing Machine-Used Coats Or New Shiny China?
Posted by: UGLYTRUK ()
Date: December 03, 2017 06:06AM

I have an antique Coats 20-20, that when I bought it in 1981 to service my 65 Canadian CORSA 180, it was an antique. So time and hasn't aged to anything more substantial than a big lump of iron, that likes to chew up my alloy rims. I think it's time for a rim clamp tire machine. The Chinese one sell for about $1,000, or used coats for $1200. Obviously a Coats is a better machine, but how do you know what you're getting when you buy a used machine? Has anybody had experience with these Chinese machines? I wouldn't use it very much, we'll call it heavy duty hobby use, and I do truck tires for Suburbans, 16 17 18 inch rims...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT-Tire Changing Machine-Used Coats Or New Shiny China?
Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: December 03, 2017 07:24AM

It's certainly more convenient to be able to swap a tire without leaving home but think of how many tires you can pay to be mounted for $1000 and how long it will take for your investment to pay for itself. Another strategy is to buy the used machine and whenever you are done with it somewhere in the future it will still be worth what you paid for it, doubt the Chinese machine will hold it's value over time. I would probably compromise and use the machine you have for wheels that don't matter much and pay to have tires mounted on wheels you don't want damaged.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Date: December 03, 2017 07:34AM

Not being cost-effective isn't the issue, I like being in charge of my own future, and I can't stand going to any repair shop, and even looking inside these places. They makes so many mistakes and so many screw-ups and have ruined tires and blah blah blah. It's more for the convenience, and I do occasionally sell tires and wheels, I just like being independent.

There are difference in prices in the Chinese machines, varying from $1000 up, and the Coats machines are probably double. But how can I ask a tire machine salesman, he'll just sell me what he has on the floor behind him.

Kind of like the Prius and other hybrid vehicles, recouping the cost of the gas savings doesn't really happen, depending on your State's reimbursement program. But it's just the point of putting in 10 or $15 of fuel instead of $35 or 40 that makes you feel better, regardless of the payment at the extra (hybrid) end of the month.

Another reason I want my own machine, aside from the time saving, is that if the rims are corroded, I can clean them to my heart's desire, instead of the guy insisting that his rim seal is as good as a shiny steel bead seat. And around here it's not uncommon for me to chip off the rust with a welding chipping hammer before I can even hit it with a grinder

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: December 03, 2017 07:49AM

I've had my own Coats Rim-Clamp (purchased used for $750) for about 20 years now. It has paid for itself many times over. I also have a Coats spin balancer that replaced the John Bean balancer. Both together ($250 + $550) paid for themselves many years ago.

I would rather have a used Coats than a new Chinese just because ten years from now Coats parts will be readily available.

Be aware that the main reason a tire machine is sold used is that it's nearing the end of it's life through use or new rim sizes. My Coats machine was sold because its maximum rim-size is only 17".

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: December 03, 2017 07:53AM

Somethings to keep in mind............
tires are not the same as they were back in the 70's and 80's.
Most late model cars and trucks have low profile tires with super stiff sidewalls.
Using conventional old tire machines typically results in damaged rims or aborted installations. Even trucks have lower profile tires.
The industry standard now is the Hunter and to a lesser degree the Corgi.
As far as Chinese vs an old Coats.
Anything Chinese is a crap shoot.
[www.youtube.com]

Lee J

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: December 03, 2017 08:22AM

I have a antique Coats Iron tire man manual machine at the ranch and I love the thing, I have mounted many many tires with it and it works great, But a machine no one has mentioned is the old May Tire machine, We use these at the track to mount all the tires the Corgi machines won't mount, They are hard to Find as Goodyear buys them all up for NASCAR tires as they work great and faster than Most other machines, if you can find one of these your golden! the Hunter Machine that Hoosier and Pirelli Use is a big old POS in my opinion and you need 3 arms to use it!

Attachments:

Date: December 03, 2017 10:18AM

The only problem with my 20-20 is that it doesn't have the long no-longer-avalable dis-mount arm modification. My arm pivots after it catches the edge of the rim. The modifyed arm pushes the tire straight down. Some alloy rims don't have this lip, so I have to dis-mount the tire-good side down, apply rags to protect the rim surface, the rim doesn't clamp down effectively so the rim slides around, total time-consuming and damaging process. My Coats also uses a really massive rotating dismount arm, potentially damaging the tire bead. The rim clamp machines use a much small "stick"

I don't see myself doing anything over 17", for now anyways.

Date: December 03, 2017 10:24AM

New York offerings

[plattsburgh.craigslist.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2017 10:30AM by MattNall.

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: December 03, 2017 10:59AM

The coats machine will last decades. Unfortunately, it is not really setup for newer rim sizes. It can easily damage nice rims as it was made when steel rims were the norm. I doubt the arm on it will do anything larger than a 17" rim and ruin the rim edge at that size if its not steel.

Look at a new, or newer, machine as the poster above says. Be sure it is the type that don't touch the rim edge. Clams the tire from the outside and the whole rim rotates to get the tire off.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 03, 2017 11:54AM

I sure miss the days when my old Coates 10-10 did everything.... and when doing aluminum... just wrapped the end of the bar with duct tape and used soapy water...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: 7004doorL ()
Date: December 03, 2017 12:36PM

IIRC our Coats 10 10 had a Nylon tipped bar because all our wheels were Aluminum.

Mike
1960 4 Door
80 HP PG

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: December 03, 2017 07:01PM

I sold my Coats 10-Nothing machine last year. It mounted and dismounted dozens of tires when I was racing. I had to mod it to mount wider than 7" wheels. Even though I have a bunch of cars (less than I used to) I wasn't using it like I used to do. I found a local tire/auto repair store, with a manager I have been working with for 30 years - off and on. They have good machines and a "no-harm" policy I can accept. A manual machine is only as safe (for your wheel) as the operator. The new machines can operate with a no-touch the rim method. If you must own a machine, think whether or not you will still need to operate it in 10 years- at all. Buy accordingly.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Date: December 06, 2017 05:21AM

I will call these people today, and see about used versus refurbished

[www.ebay.com]

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: December 06, 2017 07:21AM

Dave, no one uses that Hunter machine you posted. Watch the video I linked above.
That is the machine ALL of the Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Porsche and other high end dealers use.
This is the Hunter I was talking about

Lee J

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2017 07:29AM by gnvair.

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: December 06, 2017 07:44AM

23k used!!!!

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: swi66 ()
Date: December 07, 2017 04:53AM

I purchased a used May tire machine back in the early 70's when the garage I worked at upgraded to a newer Coats machine. I used it for many years, and considering I paid $25 for it, easily paid for itself.

In the 90's, my son was working at a tire dealership. They were upgrading some of their older machines to rim clamp units. I picked up a used Coats for $500.
Sold my May Machine for $200. Around 2009, I had a chance to buy a Coats rim clamp machine from a Dodge dealership which went under, paid $500 for it and sold my old machine for the same amount.

There are good used units out there if you look hard enough.

Gary Swiatowy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.