home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
WTB - FC front seat belts
Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: December 02, 2017 04:22PM

needpart

I've been thinking about this for a while now, and I've finally decided to add front seat belts to the Firebrier, if I can find some original stock ones. The Firebrier didn't have belts originally, but I just don't like the notion of not having this safety feature, even for the short occasional spins it may take (I dislike tempting fate). The '63 FC comes with the floor mounting holes ready to be used, and I think I read somewhere that adding seat belts is an acceptable addition to a stock vehicle. Opinions on this??

So, does anyone have any stock black FC front seat belts? I guess repros would be the backup plan, but I didn't see that Clarks carries any. Are repros of the FC belts available anywhere else? I'm guessing that the condition of the buckles of original seat belts is most important, and that the fabric could be replaced if necessary. Can anyone educate me on this?

If Pedigo has any, he can even squeeze me for top dollar smiling smiley

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2017 04:23PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WTB - FC front seat belts
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 02, 2017 04:26PM

I agree.. seatbelts and SHOULDER belts...if you will drive it...99.9% of people will not know they're added.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: December 02, 2017 04:32PM

I installed 3-point belts in our 61 GB, but I'm only going as far as the lap belts this time. They were an option, and the vehicle will not be driven much or far.
Steve

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: December 02, 2017 06:49PM

The original Chevrolet seat belts had a very long black vinyl boot that protected the seat belt on the side facing the seat. The buckle for the 1963 is a polished aluminum with a half dollar sized Chevrolet emblem.

1962-63 Seat belt with the black boot. The FC belts came in only one color...Black. The belt pictured below would have been installed in a Corvette, so I was told. My 1962 BelAir ambulance has blue belts with the long boot in matching blue. One could write a small novel on all the differences between the applications, colors, and years of the Chevrolet seat belts. A lot of the differences were in belt lengths primarily, however, sometimes it is in the floor attachment also.

Posted by: Pedigo ()
Date: December 02, 2017 06:50PM

If anyone knows the buyer of my old FC's near Ritsville,Washington...tell them Spilatro could use the belts out of the '64 Greenbrier.

Oregon City,Oregon
'61 Loadside
'62 8-door Corvan
'63 Greenbrier Deluxe

Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: December 02, 2017 07:15PM

Might be a littlw shorr. Not sure. But I installed belts from a 64 Chevy in my R/S with no issues.

[rover.ebay.com]

Marco Padilla - Realtor BRE#01944189

Century 21 Crest
1501 West Magnolia Blvd
Burbank, CA 91506
213-272-3239 Cell

Date: December 02, 2017 07:17PM

Interesting, I never had heard that FC belts had a vinyl boot, and I believe that standard FC belts were black but colored belts were available for deluxe models, as described here.

Date: December 02, 2017 07:21PM

Anyone have images of bona fide original FC seat belt buckles, especially from 1963?
Steve

Date: December 03, 2017 07:33PM

Thanks to Duane Wentlandt, I now know what I'm looking for - this is a picture of NOS 1963 FC seat belts; buckles look like the ones Junkman posted above (but no vinyl boot). Can any one help?
Steve

Attachments:
Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: December 04, 2017 07:59AM

Yes those are the right ones you have pictured. I had my set restored by Ssnake Oyl for the Rampside. The FC buckle belt strap is 8 inches longer that the car belt. Otherwise the belts are quite the same. These were made by the Irving parachute company.
One other thing I noticed is that the floor bolts are eyelet style and the hardware double hooks through these. So there is not a hex head floor mounting bolt.
I believe these descriptions are accurate, but I'm always learning things.

About 2 years ago when I had these restored, I looked on Ebay Motors and saw one buckle set with no straps up for auction. Remember these are also used in Corvette's. The bid was up to $460 for that one buckle set!hot smiley

Corventure Dave

Attachments:
Date: December 04, 2017 08:20AM

Maybe I could get the very same buckle (but for a Corvair) for only $46.
Dave, could you tell me the actual length of the belt fabric for both pieces?
Thanks,
Steve

Posted by: bbakerga ()
Date: December 04, 2017 12:01PM

One option might be to go with a reproduction set. If the buckle is truly the same for a 63 corvette, you could custom order the length. I've seen "correct" Corvette reproduction sets for around $300.

Date: December 04, 2017 12:37PM

Steve,

I'll have to measure mine when I get home this evening. I only remember the buckle strap needs to be 8 inches longer.
Will measure.

I believe the same buckles were used for all 1961- 63 Chevrolets, as authorized accessories.

Corventure Dave

Date: December 08, 2017 03:25PM

I haven't forgot about measuring those FC seatbelts Steve. Just been a little distracted over here on the Left coast!

Kinda looks like The Wizzard of Oz! Daa Ta Daa Ta Daa Daa!!!

My house is on the other side of this ploom!

Corventure Dave

Attachments:
Date: December 08, 2017 06:19PM

Dave,
I hope your house is out of harms way; or at least looks to be.
Steve

Date: December 09, 2017 12:33PM

Steve,
Thanks. Looks clear here as far as the fire. At least for now!

I measured the seatbelts in the FC. These are the strap material only, not the hardware.
Buckle strap 45 inches/
The short receiver strap 22 inches.

These are close to the car lengths. However I have installed OEM car belts in my 64 Greeenbrier years ago, and found them to be just a bit too short. smileys with beer

Corventure Dave

Date: December 09, 2017 01:55PM

Dave,
Thanks, measurements are very helpful and agree closely with length of belts I obtained from the Corvair Ranch. These will need to be restored, which I expect won't come cheap.

Here's the ends of the belts

which agree well with the picture of the NOS belts

as do the fabric and stiching.

The floor attachment ends agree with the images from the Accessories Installation manual

and I also obtained the special floor bolts.

I'm still wondering if boots came with the FC belts - the NOS belts shown above lack boots? I'm sure the white boots are wrong, so maybe these used belts came from a car?

Dave, do your belts have boots?

Steve

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: December 09, 2017 02:10PM

The pair that I have, are black material with black boots. Unfortunately, presently, that are among the missing. Over the next few weeks and months, I will be uncovering a lot more parts, and as soon as I find them, I will post pictures. I have an inkling where they might be, and I will check there first.

Date: December 11, 2017 12:38PM

Steve,

I'm trying to remember what Ssnake Oyl charged to restore my belts, without having my records here!!! But I do remember they have two levels of restoration. One is for concourse perfect. The other is for vintage vehicles that will be driven. I know for driven they charged under $200 a buckle set. For concourse perfect they add the Erving label and a couple more fine details.

Corventure Dave

Date: December 11, 2017 01:06PM

Dave,
Do you remember if yours have boots?
Steve

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.