home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Reinstalling Axles in an FC?
Posted by: bnoggle ()
Date: November 30, 2017 02:34PM

I have a '62 rampside with a 3 speed manual transmission. I recently pulled the axles, and replaced the back suspension, greased wheel bearings and cleaned and painted many parts off the back end. Now it is time to reinstall the parts, and I never took a picture of how the rear axles fit into the transaxle. It is part way in but seems too tight to get in place, I can push it with a rubber mallet but don't want to force it. My question is how hard should it be to reinstall the axle? Also is there a specific orientation of the axle like a spline that only fits in one way?

1962 Corvair 95 Rampside
1983 Chevy C-10

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2017 01:12PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reinstalling Axles in ramp side
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 30, 2017 02:44PM

Everything should slip in.... you are supporting it by the lower A-arms?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2017 02:46PM by MattNall.

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: November 30, 2017 03:33PM

I believe the yokes have a long spline and a short spline, do you have them on the correct side?

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Attachments:
Posted by: WalterElias ()
Date: November 30, 2017 04:06PM

Short spline goes by on the drivers side. If installing the axle as an assembly with the axle, bearing, u-joint and stub axle, sometimes the bearing flange will hang up on the studs before the splines on the stub axle engages in the differential. What I usually do is grab the bearing flange with one hand while aligning the stub axle with the hole in the differential. The spherical wheel bearing tends to allow the bearing flange to cock and grab the stud if you don’t guide it carefully.

Dan Kling
1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 110 HP, 4spd, 3.89 stump puller
1963 Spyder Coupe, restored, converted to 4spd Saginaw
1967 UltraVan #299, The migration has begun, we're on the road again......Save the Whales!

Photos of our Greenbrier, UltraVan and work-in-progress @

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: WalterElias ()
Date: November 30, 2017 08:36PM

****Correction, short spline is on the Passenger Side****

Dang, that's what I get for using my memory and shoddy logic on my "Friday" with little sleep all week while I wait for my wife to get done with her appointment at the hospital.

Thanks Steve for pointing that out! Now, I'll crawl back to my hiding place with my tail between my legs. LOL!

Dan Kling
1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 110 HP, 4spd, 3.89 stump puller
1963 Spyder Coupe, restored, converted to 4spd Saginaw
1967 UltraVan #299, The migration has begun, we're on the road again......Save the Whales!

Photos of our Greenbrier, UltraVan and work-in-progress @

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 30, 2017 08:50PM

Yep, sometimes the yoke doesn't slip in easy. Keep wiggling, turning and then it will just slip in.

DO NOT BEAT.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: December 01, 2017 07:31AM

As stated. it is easier to have the A-arm supported so the axle goes in at a bit more of a straight line. It's also a bit of a juggling act to align the yoke spline and also the 4 bearing studs about the same time. As stated also, do no force the axle assembly into place. Keep ad eye on the yoke seal in the differential to be sure it is not damaged while inserting the axle shaft and yoke.

Corventure Dave

Date: December 01, 2017 04:08PM

I believe the splines are on the correct sides but I will check again tomorrow to be sure. I did manage to get it to slide in a little bit but it wont move any further. I will try supporting the A arm tomorrow as well to see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestions.

1962 Corvair 95 Rampside
1983 Chevy C-10

Date: December 05, 2017 01:59PM

The good news:
I finally got time to continue installing the axles today, and managed to get the passenger side back in. The resistance was not at the transaxle, but rather at the brake backing plate. Once I got the axle top through the backing plate It slid right into place.

The bad news:
Now there is a grinding noise coming from the bearings when I spin it by hand. I greased everything before putting it back together. I think it is caused by the bearing covers not being in place correctly. Has anyone else experienced this? What did you do to fix it?

1962 Corvair 95 Rampside
1983 Chevy C-10

Date: December 05, 2017 02:41PM

If the mushroom like shield is installed too close to the bearing housing, it will rub. Check that it is not pushed too far into the bearing housing.

Corventure Dve

Date: December 05, 2017 02:44PM

I will check that, I also noticed I have a lot of in and out play in the axle. Could that be related?

1962 Corvair 95 Rampside
1983 Chevy C-10

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: December 05, 2017 02:49PM

The bearing shouldn't have any noticeable play in it. Where is the in and out happening?

Date: December 05, 2017 02:49PM

The in and out is happening at the tire studs.

1962 Corvair 95 Rampside
1983 Chevy C-10

Date: December 05, 2017 02:51PM

The studs should be pressed into the axle. No movement there at all.

Date: December 05, 2017 03:01PM

It’s not the studs themselves moving, rather that is what I pull on to get the whole assembly to move. The housings for the bearings remain in place, but the entire axle moves. The bearing housings are pushed tightly together.

Date: December 05, 2017 03:06PM

If the axle is moving inside the bearing then something is wrong with the bearing or the way it is retained in the housing.

Date: December 07, 2017 01:11PM

Installed the drivers side the same way, and there is no play. At this point, I think that the bearing is bad. I took the axle back out and tried installing it again to see if it was my mistake and it still has significant play in it. Sending it to the mechanic tomorrow to have the new race pressed in.

1962 Corvair 95 Rampside
1983 Chevy C-10

Re: Reinstalling Axles in an FC?
Date: December 07, 2017 03:53PM

Depending on the condition of the bearings. The bearing race can be shimmed in it's housing. You'll have to determine if the issue is the inner or outer race.
I have seen shims between the race and it's housing before that take away end play.

Corventure Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.