Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: COLLECTING
Posted by: diegocorsa ()
Date: November 30, 2017 07:05AM

Hey All!

It's been awhile since my last post but I've been lurking! Anyway, the Vair is just sitting in my garage happy waiting for spring.

My topic is COLLECTING, anyway have any collections?
I collect:

Vintage Florsheim Royal Imperial wingtip dress shoes from the 30's-70's.

Vintage Gillette DE Safety razors from the 50's-60's

Vintage plastic model car kits

Anyone?

-Cory
'66 Corsa
Nebraska

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: COLLECTING
Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: November 30, 2017 07:12AM

My cars keep me pretty busy, not much time for other things, but my
better half collects depression glassware, specifically the jadite green and antique oil lamps

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown V8 mounted mid-body temporarily red lined for repair
House Springs, Missouri

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: November 30, 2017 07:30AM

Corvairs and cars in general.
I was at 9 corvairs til one left on a truck yesterday. Down to 8. Also have three non corvair 'collector' cars.
Used to do antique scuba equipment. Maintaining its appeal though is hard living in a state with almost no water to use it in.

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: November 30, 2017 07:34AM

I use to collect dirt bikes and musical equipment, hot wheels cars, now its only Corvairs, I don't really collect them, they just show up!

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: cepak ()
Date: November 30, 2017 08:28AM

I collect dust from sitting behind a desk all day.

Tom Cepak
DFW, TX

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: November 30, 2017 08:47AM

Cory, I don't collect them, but I'm still using the nickel plated Gillette safety razor my Dad (a barber) gave me in 1964!

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: diegocorsa ()
Date: November 30, 2017 09:00AM

Brizo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cory, I don't collect them, but I'm still using
> the nickel plated Gillette safety razor my Dad (a
> barber) gave me in 1964!

That's awesome! I use mine to, I just seem to "collect" them to according to my wife. She says if you have more than a few of something it's collecting grinning smiley

Posted by: Kyle_in_Mich ()
Date: November 30, 2017 09:19AM

I have too many bicycles and guitars. I guess that means it is a collection!

CORSA Member
Traverse City,MI
Daily driver- Bicycle
Fun driver/project- 65 Corsa 140/4 speed

Posted by: gregb ()
Date: November 30, 2017 11:23AM

As our winter here is so long my Corvairs are my summer hobby and I collect and restore antique radios, TV's, and tube type amplifiers as my winter hobby, that is in between working on my Corvairs.

Gregb

Alberta Canada
61 Canadian Lakewood
62 Spyder Triple Black Convertible
65 Corsa Coupe

Posted by: rowin4 ()
Date: November 30, 2017 12:09PM

It seems I started collecting bicycles for some reason, I have about 30. I don't even ride them. Have sold a fewer a good profit. Probably the best one I have is a 1940 Monark 4 tube worth about $1000. that was given to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2017 12:15PM by rowin4.

Posted by: Vin ()
Date: November 30, 2017 06:06PM

I don't collect vintage razors but shave every morning with a 1964 Gillette slim adjustable double edge. Makes me feel I am James Bond in Goldfinger, ha. I have examples of odds and ends from old clocks to old tools to some vintage dirt bikes but nothing I collect in quantity specifically.

Posted by: WhenIm64 ()
Date: November 30, 2017 07:39PM

I collected open-wheel oval track racing memorabilia, ever since an old gent GAVE me his collection when I was a teenager. Ultimately my collection spanned from pre-war fairgrounds racing to today's Indy cars. I had payout receipts signed by a young Mario Andretti. I had an assortment of Chris Economaki's personal collection from when he began to "downsize." I had my father's ticket stub for the 1953 Indy 500 which I kept alongside my media credential for the 2008 Indy 500. Books, programs, press kits, photos, on and on.

But when my wife and I retired to a condo two years ago I donated it all to the Eastern Auto Racing Historical Society. I feel good about it being preserved, I feel good about it not being jammed into the condo, and I feel good about being able to visit it all at EARHS should I wish to do so.

WhyImWhenIm64

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 30, 2017 08:42PM

Greg,

You need to come south and pick up my RCA CTC-11. It was working until it didn't.grinning smiley Ah, the electronic "driven until it was parked". It is taking space in the garage I need for cars. I had lots of late 60s and 70s color sets that I had to get rid of in a move, but I saved the roundies. Have CRTs also.

Collections? Antique radios and cars, not just Corvairs.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Attachments:

Posted by: Sir Thomas ()
Date: December 01, 2017 04:13AM

2,413 Hot Wheels. I had a dozen of them when I was growing up. I'd spend hours playing with them under the silver maple tree in my front yard, or racing them on my dual track when I would take over the living room with it set up. Eventually I gave them to my nephews when I was an "adult" attending college. They didn't take care of things like I did though so they were all unceremonially destroyed in short time. In later years, while reminiscing about them I started picking some up at car shows and garage sales. It has just kept growing ever since.

Thomas Ratliff
Marion, Indiana
Fitch Sprint (in progress)
'66 Monza convertible with EFI
ThomasMRatliff@yahoo.com

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: December 01, 2017 05:09AM

Thomas, if all of those Hot Wheels are in their original packages, you're sitting on a fortune. If not, then you have a lot of useless toys. grinning smiley

I have a collection of built models. Built most of them myself. If they were still unbroken kits, they'd be worth a fortune. But I don't care. I still have the very first model I ever got, a Premier Rampside. Yes, you read that right! I also have most of my collection of full-size Chevy promo models. at least one from each year since 1955. Started getting them from my grandfather, a Chevy dealer from 1922 to 1972. Today I have somewhere between 350 and 400 models, from the brass era up, a little of just about everything. I can't afford the full-sized ones, so the small ones will have to do.

I also have small collections of coins (particularly cents), a lot of Beta videos, technical literature, car brochures, and key chain fobs.

So I guess I either have a lot of Henry Ford Museum curios, or a lot of dust catchers.

-Mark

Posted by: eddieb ()
Date: December 01, 2017 07:02AM

from 1950 to 2004 I collected American flyer electric trains. When I sold the collection I had 80 engines and 278 freight and passenger cars. I also collected Coca-Cola items throughout the 70's and 80's and had just about every room filled with Coke stuff,some very rare,some common and most bought with little to no money. I had many people just give me stuff. Sure is not like that today.
Presently I'm always on the look-out for 1960 Corvair items,i.e. dealer posters,brochures,odd accessories etc. EddieB Dade City,fl

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: December 01, 2017 08:22AM

My favorite collection (presently - besides my 4 cars) is a small collection of lighted beer signs from the 60s. I'd probably have a room full if I could afford it. Also have a collection of many scale models. This collection ranges from 100s of Matchbox cars. Mostly from the 60s and 70s (not in the box). I sold off many of my built (and un-built) 1/25th scale plastic models several years ago. I was amazed what they brought. I still have several un-built models from the 70s and a number of Corvair models, un-built. My collection includes a few factory demos and die cast (larger scale). I also have a collection of "N" gauge trains that I haven't touched in years. Oh, and a pretty large collection of automotive dealership brochures that range from the 60s to the 2000s.

Maybe I have too much stuff(?)

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer <-new title
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: Carburetor ()
Date: December 01, 2017 09:23AM

Almost forgot about my coin collection until it was mentioned earlier. I started as a kid as my dad collected coins - he gave me his doubles to start my collection of mostly Lincoln pennies, Buffalo and Jefferson nickels, Mercury dimes, and Kennedy half dollars. I also have a fairly good collection of Canadian coins - my grandfather and great-grandfather ran a party store in the 50's and 60's and being just outside of Metro Detroit, they would often get Canadian coins. Since most stores wouldn't accept them (I believe due to the exchange rate) and vending machines wouldn't accept them, they stored them in a jar. About 30 years ago when I was visiting my grandfather, he let me take one of each year of each coin - mostly from the '30's through the '60's. I also have a small collection of foreign coins, the coolest of which is a 5 Franc coin from 1804 with Napoleon on the front that was given to my by my great-grandmother that was passed down to her from her father. I still squirrel away any wheat cents that I find, and I'm six quarters away from a complete set of the US state quarters.

Jim C.
Chesterfield, MI

1966 Monza convertible (140 / PG)
2017 Chevrolet Trax (daily driver)
2017 Chevrolet Volt (wife's ride)

Posted by: larry cooper ()
Date: December 01, 2017 09:29AM

Collecting ? Just older vehicles, like : '49 Studebaker PU - complete restore and customize down to frame, replaced engine, now has Studebaker 289 (not Ford)
and A/T. '54 Studebaker Commander HT (older restore), '60 Rambler American, '62 Nash Metropolitan (with Pinto engine & A/T), '72 El Camino ( have owned it since it was 6 months old), working on (waiting for spring) '61 Corvair Monza 4dr.
with '65 Corvair 140 engine (machine shop rebuild).
Have owned : '26 Model T Ford roadster PU (wish I still had it) '70's International 3/4 ton PU diesel,( one of 5 built) '47 Buick Sedanette. have owned a number of every day drivers. Can't grow up, have to keep playing with
cars. Larry cooper

Posted by: glivorsi ()
Date: December 01, 2017 09:41AM

gregb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As our winter here is so long my Corvairs are my
> summer hobby and I collect and restore antique
> radios, TV's, and tube type amplifiers as my
> winter hobby, that is in between working on my
> Corvairs.

I have an early 60's era Sherwood S-7000 receiver that my father bought new. It still works but has lots of hum. It is set up for simulcast and has an FM multiplex jack on it for a separate multiplexer. Apparently at that time the FCC had not standardized how to broadcast stereo so receivers came equipped with several different ways to receive it. It uses 12AX7 preamp tubes and 7591 power tubes.

Greg in Wildwood, MO (part of the St. Louis urban sprawl)

1965 Monza Vert 110PG, Crocus Yellow with black interior and top

2014 Honda Accord V6 (DD)
2017 Honda Pilot (wifemobile)
2012 Chevy Sonic 1.8L (kid's car)
1997 Honda CBR1100XX
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 (no longer own)

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.