Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
E-Flow Compressor
Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: November 29, 2017 09:29PM

Anyone have experience with adding an E-flow compressor to an otherwise stock 180 engine? Do you get any performance improvement at all?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: E-Flow Compressor
Date: November 29, 2017 11:30PM

If you are talking about machining the 180 housing to fit the larger "E" impeller/compressor wheel, you would need more carburetor to see performance gain.
The YH is the restriction that made the factory system "work" without other controls.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: Leon ()
Date: November 30, 2017 01:27AM

I've done this twice, once with a stock '65 180 and again with a modified '65 140. The Corsa had a stock exhaust housing and YH when I first installed the E-flow, acted pretty much like a F-flow with the B-flow turbine.

On my Monza however I have a E-flow with a Crown exhaust housing, it was stupid even with the YH, only time I have had a YH equipped 'vair boost in first gear.

That said I was not happy with the YH for many reasons and both cars ended up with 4bbl carburetors, a 3.8 turbo Buick Q-jet on the Corsa and a 273 Dart AFB on my Monza.

Star NC
1965 Monza Coupe, turbocharged 140/4spd, Carter AFB 4bbl, E-flow Crown turbo, water/meth injection, driver
1965 Corsa Coupe, 140/4spd, future project
1966 Monza Coupe, 110/4spd parts car
1966 Monza 'vert, 95/PG parts car
1985 Dodge W350 4dr turbocharged 440/4spd

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: November 30, 2017 04:14AM

If you want better performance the first change should be the carb. I agree with the above statement.

I have run the stock YH carb on an engine and then put on a 2bbl Stromberg carb and the engine immediately idled at 550 rpm and went to 20"+ of boost, I was lucky to get 13-14" of boost with the YH. This is with the stock muffler and manifold.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: November 30, 2017 04:19AM

Any additional improvement the E Flow may give is choked off by the YH carb. First priority would be to add a larger carburetor.
The other thing is modifying the stock F flow compressor housing chokes off the E flow compressor. It was designed to be used with a 3" inlet housing.
Best turbo performance is when there is little to NO restriction on the inlet side.

Lee J

Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: November 30, 2017 05:48AM

Thanks - that's what I figured. Anyone have a Crown exhaust housing they would like to part with?

I do have a stock comp housing machined out with an E-Flow wheel. The thought of a better performing, stock appearing engine is appealing.

Date: November 30, 2017 05:59AM

It will perform better than stock believe me, but it will still stop at 10psi so no wastegate required. Adding a vacuum advance/retard unit and drilling the YH for ported vacuum also makes a noticeable difference while still appearing stock.

I have no idea where you might find a Crown exhaust housing, I'd be sorely tempted to go with a '64 B-flow turbine and housing, might be hard to keep it OFF boost though.

Notice the vacuum line coming off the bottom of the YH, that did more for the off-boost performance than anything else, ported vacuum advance.

Star NC
1965 Monza Coupe, turbocharged 140/4spd, Carter AFB 4bbl, E-flow Crown turbo, water/meth injection, driver

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2017 06:06AM by Leon.

Attachments:
Date: November 30, 2017 06:11AM

Leon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It will perform better than stock believe me, but
> it will still stop at 10psi so no wastegate
> required. Adding a vacuum advance/retard unit and
> drilling the YH for ported vacuum also makes a
> noticeable difference while still appearing stock.
>
>
> I have no idea where you might find a Crown
> exhaust housing, I'd be sorely tempted to go with
> a '64 B-flow turbine and housing, might be hard to
> keep it OFF boost though.
>
> Notice the vacuum line coming off the bottom of
> the YH, that did more for the off-boost
> performance than anything else, ported vacuum
> advance.

How much of a difference? Have you timed it at a drag strip?

Lee J

Date: November 30, 2017 06:17AM

Just to add something......
Adding a larger compressor does not make more power if you are not using it in the range where it is efficient.
Most of those large compressor wheels are efficient at boost levels well over 15 psi.
The stock F flow is pretty much done at 13psi and running the boost up higher increases the discharge temperatures significantly.
I see this all the time with other turbo vehicles. Guys think that they are bucking the system getting a large compressor and running it at low boost. It just doesn't work that way.
In all honesty, the E flow is really happy over 20 psi.

Lee J

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2017 06:20AM by gnvair.

Date: November 30, 2017 06:38AM

Drag strip no, the increased fuel mileage and the fact that it would pull away from a stop much easier made it clear to me that the 140 at least wanted vacuum advance.

I also have a E-flow on a 440 Dodge, it's quite happy with 7psi and has been since the '70s when it was new on a motorhome.

Star NC

Attachments:
Date: November 30, 2017 07:06AM

Leon, the wanting more vacuum advance is more a function of compression, combustion chamber design and cam shaft over lap. But also the reason the E flow responds differently on your 440 is because of the displacement. The compressor is similar to a Garrett 60-1 and would be small for an engine that size. Compare it to the size of the compressor on modern Diesel engines in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. They have compressors that are over 70 mm and huge in comparison.

Lee J

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.