Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"



Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
flat towing a power glide
Posted by: timebum ()
Date: November 28, 2017 06:43PM

I need to tow a ramp side 200 miles behind my motorhome. will I hurt anything?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flat towing a power glide
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 28, 2017 06:52PM

Shouldn't be a problem... many have flat towed across country..





MODERATOR
Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flat towing a power glide
Posted by: curt ()
Date: November 29, 2017 07:35AM

What gear "N"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flat towing a power glide
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 29, 2017 08:00AM

Of course!! gg





MODERATOR
Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flat towing a power glide
Posted by: bobg1951chevy ()
Date: December 02, 2017 09:56PM

This same question was asked on another site.

Don't know if there is a difference between an EM and LM P.G., but my '69 Owners Manual says this ............

Here is the quote from my 1969 Corvair owners manual, page 10, with reference to powerglide equipped cars ........ "Normally your Corvair may be towed with all four wheels on the ground for distances up to 50 miles, at speeds of less than 35 mph. HOWEVER, the drive wheels (rear wheels) must be raised off the ground when the transmission is not operating properly OR when a speed of 35 mph OR a distance of 50 miles will be exceeded." End of quote from GM.

Bob G., Hendersonville, NC

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan. Purchased in 2000.
1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe Sport Coupe. Purchased in 2014.
1969 Corvair 500 Coupe. # 2671. Purchased in 2017.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flat towing a power glide
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 02, 2017 10:26PM

True!!


But experience gained over 50 years has proved differently!

I've done it and would do it again without a thought!





MODERATOR
Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flat towing a power glide
Posted by: FLSteve ()
Date: December 03, 2017 09:48AM

I flat towed my 64 95 auto from south Florida to TN. About every 200 miles or so I would pull over check everything and sometime start and run engine in N with the battery disconnected for a few miles. Never any issues that was a few years ago. We did a total of 3k miles many over 65-70 mph.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flat towing a power glide
Posted by: bobg1951chevy ()
Date: December 03, 2017 06:20PM

I cannot imagine GM wrote that paragraph into the owners manual, without good reason.

To each his own, I would say.

Bob G., Hendersonville, NC

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan. Purchased in 2000.
1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe Sport Coupe. Purchased in 2014.
1969 Corvair 500 Coupe. # 2671. Purchased in 2017.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flat towing a power glide
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 03, 2017 06:31PM

Bob start imaging.... ggg Too many miles towed that way by too many people..


Sounds like the '69 manual was different than earlier?





MODERATOR
Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flat towing a power glide
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 03, 2017 06:48PM

"The TH350 transmission was introduced in the 1969 model year as the successor to the GM Powerglide automatic."

Since the TH's have no rear pump.... they cannot be push started or flat / rear wheel towed....





MODERATOR
Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flat towing a power glide
Posted by: bobg1951chevy ()
Date: December 03, 2017 08:10PM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "The TH350 transmission was introduced in the 1969
> model year as the successor to the GM Powerglide
> automatic."
>
> Since the TH's have no rear pump.... they cannot
> be push started or flat / rear wheel towed....

My quote came from the 1969 Corvair Owners Manual, page 10.

No TH 350 in a Corvair.

Bob G., Hendersonville, NC

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan. Purchased in 2000.
1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe Sport Coupe. Purchased in 2014.
1969 Corvair 500 Coupe. # 2671. Purchased in 2017.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flat towing a power glide
Posted by: bobg1951chevy ()
Date: December 03, 2017 08:18PM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bob start imaging.... ggg Too many miles towed
> that way by too many people..
>
>
> Sounds like the '69 manual was different than
> earlier?

No T.H. 350 in any Corvair.

After working for the GENERAL for almost 35 years, through Cleveland and Detroit, I have always known GM doesn't waste a penny on an inch of extra wire or a nickel on a wasted printed page.

I would not flat tow it, no imagination from me.

Bob G., Hendersonville, NC

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan. Purchased in 2000.
1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe Sport Coupe. Purchased in 2014.
1969 Corvair 500 Coupe. # 2671. Purchased in 2017.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flat towing a power glide
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 03, 2017 08:25PM

Bob, I surmising the '69 manual was changed.....because the TH's came out... and that went in every manual in '69.





MODERATOR
Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flat towing a power glide
Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: December 04, 2017 02:43AM

Richard Finch had details in his book about flat towing with the different Corvair transmissions. I will see if I can dig my copy out today.

Lee J

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flat towing a power glide
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: December 04, 2017 08:41AM

Only differences in the 10 years of Corvair Powerglides is slight changes due to increased torque of 164 cu inch engines in 1964.

GM wrote not to tow, because they could not know how people would abuse their cars and claim a warranty repair. Those 69s had a 50k mile warranty, right?

What Matt and myself are saying, is people have towed Powerglide Corvairs for many miles and no issues. Articles have been written in the Communique about this subject.

Would I say, of course one can flat tow a Powerglide for 1000 miles at 65 MPH and expect no trouble? NO!

I myself have towed Powerglides with the rear wheels on the ground for 100 miles at 60 to 65 MPH on I-85/95. Engine off, transmission in N. YMMV!grinning smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flat towing a power glide
Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: December 04, 2017 11:24AM

Here is the page from the book......

Lee J

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flat towing a power glide
Posted by: bobg1951chevy ()
Date: December 04, 2017 01:34PM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bob, I surmising the '69 manual was
> changed.....because the TH's came out... and that
> went in every manual in '69.

Matt, I can tell you the owners manuals are vehicle specific, not just one owners manual to cover several models.

It would have been cool to have a TH 350 in these Vairs !

Bob G., Hendersonville, NC

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan. Purchased in 2000.
1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe Sport Coupe. Purchased in 2014.
1969 Corvair 500 Coupe. # 2671. Purchased in 2017.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flat towing a power glide
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 04, 2017 02:30PM

Supposedly!!!ggg

I owned '69 # 5990 for few years.... Towed on rear wheels to Tacoma 2015 from Reno, Nevada..then down to Coos Bay, Or. Never touched it while towing..





MODERATOR
Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flat towing a power glide
Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: December 05, 2017 08:12PM

Matt talks about the TH 350 coming out in '69 with no rear pump. The rear drive Powerglide lost it's rear pump around '66. Having a rear pump is what allows a car to be flat towed in neutral without damage because it keeps the oil moving. GM said not to do it because some people can screw up anything and they didn't want to have to cover it.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flat towing a power glide
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: December 05, 2017 08:46PM

RexJohnson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Matt talks about the TH 350 coming out in '69 with
> no rear pump. The rear drive Powerglide lost it's
> rear pump around '66.
Having a rear pump is what
> allows a car to be flat towed in neutral without
> damage because it keeps the oil moving. GM said
> not to do it because some people can screw up
> anything and they didn't want to have to cover it.


Rex, you had better clarify that statement.
Some people are just not going to understand it at all, and I only THINK that I do.
Am I understanding correctly that when you say "The rear drive Powerglide . . ." you are referring to a traditional, power in the front then out the back, transmission as opposed to our, power in the back and then right back out again tranny's?
Or ALL post '66 PG's as some people are going to read this?

.
-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Options: ReplyQuote
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.