home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Oil pressure sender unit location
Posted by: DaveO90s4 ()
Date: November 26, 2017 04:17PM

Hi all,

(All this on a Corvair engine installed in a Porsche 914)

Now that the engine is running with no apparent fatal flaws I'm turning my attention to wiring the oil pressure sender gauge. The unit I have is a VDO 100 psi unit. To retain the dashboard warning light I'll need to also retain the sender unit that it is wired to.

In the photos below you'll see that there really is no room to add the new sender unit directly to the standard location - my oil filter lines are in the way.

My current intent is to run a flexible hose from block to T piece and at the T reinstall the original oil pressure switch for the dash light and also another short section of flexible hose to then mount the gauge sender unit in the location shown in the 2nd photo. (The 100PSI sender is apparently not available with connection for the warning light). The sender unit would then be clamped to the bolt that holds the fan belt guide bracket. That will keep it secure and will also earth / ground it.

So my two simple questions after that too long introduction are:
1. Has anyone got a better idea than above (including "why bother"); and
2. What thread is the standard fitting on the casting that the current sender unit fits into (1/8" NPT?).

Many thanks as always
Dave
Bne
Oz

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Oil pressure sender unit location
Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: November 26, 2017 04:33PM

Yes 1/8" npt.
I'd purchase a 1/8" st 45° elbow and a long 1/8" grease gun hose. Make a cross drilled aluminum manifold with 1/8" npt in the end and 3 or 4 on top. Screw the 45 el into the original sender location. The hose into that and snake it behind the altenator. Mount the manifold to the left head.
Put a rubber grommet around the oil dip stick pipe. You're losing precious cooling air.

'64 Monza Coupe 140 4 speed
'61 700 Lakewood 95 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: November 26, 2017 04:46PM

Here is a variation installed -

A 45degree 1/8 NPT elbow was installed in stock location - as Wagon Master recommended.

On mine, My mechanic used a 3 port brass 1/8 NPT brass block.

Stock oil pressure switch is vertical - just added a section of wire to reach new position.

Attachments:
Date: November 26, 2017 05:21PM

Hi Wagon Master -"Put a rubber grommet around the oil dip stick pipe. You're losing precious cooling air".

It's on the to do list - have a list of different sized grommets to get today.

Any tapping and drilling in oil sender vicinity would, due to space constraints, require engine removal. I will if I have to, but keen to explore other options first.

My engine no longer has the mechanical fuel pump, that has been capped of as shown in the photo below.

If I could temporarily remove that cap (undo lock nut and bolt, pry it off) and tap that for the fitting, and reinstall. Assuming the inside of the cap 'sees' oil pressure?

Can anyone confirm whether this cap is readily removable and able to be reinstalled, and whether the inside of the cap 'sees' oil pressure?

Thanks

Dave
Bne
Oz

Attachments:
Posted by: Leon ()
Date: November 26, 2017 05:27PM

No oil pressure at the fuel pump mount.

I'd use a turbo oil feed/sending unit adapter, low profile enough to clear your oil lines.

Star NC
1965 Monza Coupe, turbocharged 140/4spd, Carter AFB 4bbl, E-flow Crown turbo, water/meth injection, driver
1965 Corsa Coupe, 140/4spd, future project
1966 Monza Coupe, 110/4spd parts car
1966 Monza 'vert, 95/PG parts car
1985 Dodge W350 4dr turbocharged 440/4spd

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2017 05:35PM by Leon.

Date: November 26, 2017 05:38PM

Hi ProbertC,

Thanks for your reply. Given my remote oil filter lines I don't fancy my chances of being able to screw in an elbow. And am understandably reluctant to undo the oil filter lines for this - they are very very hard to get at with the engine in (backwards!).

But a variation on the theme will I think work.

Hi Leon,

Your information much appreciated.

Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.