home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Corsa Gauge Cluster Upgrade
Posted by: vintageracer ()
Date: November 26, 2017 04:16PM

I have searched the forum and have not had any luck finding an answer to my question so here it goes:

I have a 66 Monza 4 Speed A/C equipped 2 door with extra doors (4 Door) Corvair.

I have a tele column to install and would like to also install a factory full gauge instrument cluster from a Corsa parts car a friend of mine owns. He tells me that will have to change the complete wiring harness in the car. I understand and expect to have to change out the"dash main" harness with the "dash main" harness from the Corsa parts car that matches the full gauge cluster

Therefore my questions:

Must I also change the rear harness and front harness in the car to make this gauge cluster upgrade?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Corsa Gauge Cluster Upgrade
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: November 26, 2017 04:23PM

Run a wire from coil to dash for tach, a wire from left head forward end to dash for temp indication. Of course you have to install a thermister into the head. 140 heads have a fine thread port for this config. If a 110, get an adapter from Clark's. Also run a vacuum hose from port on balance tube to dash gage. Might need to adapt to the balance tube. Good luck.

ps: that is the way GM did it. No special Corsa harness. On the thermister wire, you will have to drill a hole in cooling air outlet duct and install a grommet for the wire to pass thru.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe, 180 hp 4 Spd
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2015 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2017 04:28PM by Lane66m.

Posted by: Leon ()
Date: November 26, 2017 04:48PM

Hardest part will be cutting out the hole for the A/C vent unless the donor car is one of the rare few '66s with factory A/C.

Star NC
1965 Monza Coupe, turbocharged 140/4spd, Carter AFB 4bbl, E-flow Crown turbo, water/meth injection, driver
1965 Corsa Coupe, 140/4spd, future project
1966 Monza Coupe, 110/4spd parts car
1966 Monza 'vert, 95/PG parts car
1985 Dodge W350 4dr turbocharged 440/4spd

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: November 26, 2017 05:21PM

There is a special Corsa dash harness that incorporates the tach, the cylinder head temp gauge and the clock as well as provision for the over temp buzzer. There was also a special harness for Corsa models with a/c

Lee J

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: November 26, 2017 07:20PM

You need not change out the complete harness. There are a few additional wires - and things, that will have to be installed. First, which motor do you have installed? If it isn't a 140/180 you will have a decision to make for the overheat indications. (gauge and/or buzzer).

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: November 26, 2017 07:26PM

Always found it easier to swap the harness if you want the over temp buzzer. If you don't then just run the extra wires for the tach and head temp gauge and clock.

Lee J

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: November 26, 2017 07:56PM

I've installed a dozen Corsa and Spyder dashes in Monzas (and FCs for that matter).

Two wires and a nylon vacuum tube to the rear and an orange to the fuse box for the clock. As others have stated, you'll need some adaptions for sensors and hookups at the engine. I wrap the new wires and tube in harness tape and it looks completely stock.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: November 27, 2017 09:50AM

I have available plain jpeg sketches of the schematics for just the Corsa wiring. They can be sent via email. Just PM me for them.

I also can make up lay-in harnesses for said wiring, along with most any other wiring needs you may have, from custom a/c to stock speed warning option harnesses, you name it.

-Mark

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: November 27, 2017 10:29AM

If you've never seen/used one of Mark's custom A/C wiring harnesses, the are a work of art.

'64 Monza Coupe 140 4 speed
'61 700 Lakewood 95 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Posted by: glivorsi ()
Date: November 29, 2017 09:28AM

When I installed a tach in my Monza, I ran the wire from the coil to the tach by following the factory wiring harness and tie wrapping it every foot or so.

Greg in Wildwood, MO (part of the St. Louis urban sprawl)

1965 Monza Vert 110PG, Crocus Yellow with black interior and top

2006 Mazdaspeed 6
1997 Honda CBR1100XX

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.