Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT - Testing once more for bad Head Gasket
Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: November 25, 2017 07:16AM

Now that our house is no longer on the market, until next spring, I towed UV520 here.
When the weather allows, I hope to get measurements for wiring harnesses, do some testing and work on it when I can.

Yesterday I thought I would test, "today" once more, for a bad head gasket.
However, it is raining like crazy. So a change of plans, until the rain stops.
I will do some measuring and look things over to make some changes.
One of those changes is how the lower coolant line is routed and where I can move it to help get it away from the exhaust heat..

Should it stop raining and I use the tool below to test for a bad head gasket.
This will be the third, forth or even five time, over the years that I have tested for a bad head gasket since I've been dealing with the overheating issue. Grin

Tony
(Ottawa Area - Canada)

(1) Marie's 1962 Convertible and our 1966 Ultravan #248 (aka Itchy Feet - Long Restoration)
(2) Our 1963 Rampside (Sold 2014) and 1967 Ultravan #256 at Upper Canada Valley car show in 2009.
(UV256 aak Itchy Feet II - corvair power plant came out 2012 - plans with donor for a GM 3.8L FWD conversion, as a gas pusher, in the back of UV256)
(3 & 4) Are some of our 11 Corvair parts cars - to help keep our stuff on the road - hopefully as long as we live. ;-)
(5) Is one of our Wayne 100 boats (Corvair powered)
(6) Nov 14, 2012 Ultravans #362 and #512 arrived. We are getting closer to our goal of having an Ultravan museum.
We now own; UV248, UV256, UV362, UV512, and UV520 will hopefully be here July 2013.
(7) I saved Ultravan #231 from the scarp yard this year. It arrived May 9, 2013 and I plan to flip this one with a mid-engine Subaru power plant.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2017 07:24AM by OttawaCorvairGuy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT - Testing once more for bad Head Gasket
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 25, 2017 07:57AM

Don't move that pipe... insulate / shield it!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: November 25, 2017 08:01AM

Side note:

Last week when I towed UV520 here I had to leave it running to lubricate the transmission while flat towing it.
Remember UV520 has an Olds Toronado 455 and NOT a Corvair.

Anyways, I use the time to do some more testing of sorts.

First I got it up to operating temps and then rruned on the cooling fan.
I left it running while I hooked up the tow bar and tested the lights.
It never got above 180/190. Hard to really tell as there are no number in that area of the gauge.
Oh, and I did not have my laser heat gun or I would have used it to know what the temp was.

When I was ready to drive away towing it - I kept the fan setting on low.
I towed it about 5 plus miles and pulled over to check the temp and put it through the gears.
The temp was the same around 180 to 190 still.
I did this throughout the 30 mile tow.
However, with the last five miles or so of highway towing I switched the fan to high setting.
When I pulled over to check it again is was now at 170 where the gauge has that number.
So it seems the high speed setting made a difference.
FYI - I had installed the Ford Taurus fan, which is 1" bigger in diameter and has two speeds vs the Flex-a-lite fan I have also used to this point.

Outcome:
As with all test like this - At idle an electric fan can keep up with cooling needs.
Than the only thing it can be is the pressure and airflow, if I get to test for a head gasket again and it shows "NO" signs of an issue.
BTW - One more month and I should have some info about how the CFD testing is going.

Date: November 25, 2017 08:13AM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't move that pipe... insulate / shield it!

Matt,

FYI - I never took another picture of it. However, I wrapped that pipe with heat warp years ago.
I understand that a shield might make a difference.
But note that pipe is currently about half way between the inlet and outlet of both the engine and radiator.
This makes the coolant have to go out and up after the radiator and then back down, before getting sucked up into the water pump inlet.
And 3/4 of the length of said pipe is right above the entire exhaust. Both exhaust pipe and manifold.

For peace of mind and to know the outcome: (if any change at all)
I want to at least try it under the coach and see the outcome.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 25, 2017 08:19AM

Makes sense.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: November 25, 2017 01:37PM

As we all have excepted. If I have a big enough radiator and can get a handle on how to best move air through the radiator - it should stop overheating.

The rain stopped so I did some more testing or "goofing off" joy riding up and down the street.

I got the coach up to operating temp 170 and used my head gasket tester again.
NO sings of a bad head gasket.

Next came the multiple Road TEST at 45f, damp from raining all morning and a very very ight sprinkle from time to time. So light - no need to use the wipers.

First Road Test - fan on low.

Hard Acceleration and drove a mile or a little over getting on and off the gas - but keeping it above 55mph
Temp went up fast to 190f and topped out at 200f to 210f.
Temp started dropping slowly when stopped and was turning around and then

Second Road Test - fan now on high for the return trip - Temp was close to 200f now after stopping, switching fan speed and turning around.
Drove twice as far 2 miles or more at same speed above 55mph and it stayed around 210f. Looked as if it got to 215f as I stopped to turn around.

Third Road Test - fan still on high As before when stop to turn around the temp drops a little.
Temp now back to 200f, I drove 40mph this time and drove almost twice as far 3.5 to 4 miles (at least) and the longer trip to this point. Temp 200f to 210f

Forth Road Test - fan still on high and I turned around in a parking lot. NO need to really stop and back up and pull forward and back then drive away - like all the other times.
So the Temp was 200f and I drove ONLY 30mph back home 3 miles and the temp stayed just to the left of the 200f mark the entire trip back home.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.