home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
F/S: Original YENKO STINGER TECH MANUAL
Posted by: justin one ()
Date: November 23, 2017 11:05AM

I have an original "The Yenko Stinger Tech Manual" available for sale. It is dog eared and water stained but still very legible and intact, dated March 1967. I will make available to the best offer.

forsale

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2017 09:27PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Original YENKO STINGER TECH MANUAL
Posted by: Mike Stillwell ()
Date: November 23, 2017 01:51PM

Any idea if it's from a Stinger? Where did it come from?

Mike
YS-117

Posted by: justin one ()
Date: November 23, 2017 05:27PM

I acquired it several years back when I bought some parts from a fellow North Texas Corvair Asso club member.THe manual was written by Don Yenko and features a letter written by Don Yenko.It specifically provides information, technical, photos etc.It was published I am guessing in March 1967. It is very interesting reading as it traces the Stages of the Stinger from Stage One at 160HP to Stage 5 at 250 HP.
REspectfully
D Nezda

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 23, 2017 05:59PM

That is really cool!

Someone please correct me if I am wrong here, but I was under the impression that while it was offered, no "Stage V" Stingers were actually ever ordered?

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: ral1963 ()
Date: November 24, 2017 06:10AM

Others will chime in here and clarify "racing" history as it isn't my strongest area of information, but here is my understanding.

Fuel injection was not approved for the Stinger SCCA racing but there was a strong push to get it approved for the Stinger and was part of the reason that Yenko was working on his own version under the Stage V engine prep.

The use of FI was allowed in Canadian circuits and a FI injected Corvair was already being raced there.

The only "documented" Stage V engine prepped Stinger would be YS-104, a Canadian raced Stinger driven by Mo Carter.

Here is a bunch of info I had collected while working on a write up for the FI engine that is on display at the Corvair Museum...a bit of it pertains to the Stage V Stinger lore.

There was an FI engine, it was a Rochester mechanical fuel injection system I want to say it was tested in Canada, but was not legal for any racing organizations stateside.

There is a picture in Charlie Doerge's book on pg 32 that shows a fuel injected engine in Jerry Thompson's car. According to the info No Stage V Stingers were built for public consumption. The fuel injection was under development by Chevrolet but discontinued due to lack of sufficient progress towards the horsepower goals. There were 2 engines built by Jerry Thompson for the 1966 race at Mosport. It says that either Don Eichstadt or Jerry Thompson's engine was swapped out after the event because one was used in Mo Carter's car for awhile. It was legal in Canada under FIA Group 4 rules. There was a note that it was useful for scaring unsuspecting Corvette drivers at some "Stoplight Grand Prix". There is no info detailing what became of the engines.

In January of 1966, Yenko announced the availability of a Stage V version of the Stinger, modified to 176 cubic inch displacement and individual ram fuel injection. This 250 horsepower combination was illegal for SCCA racing and was recommended for the customer interested in ultimate horsepower for off-street driving.

This RST engine or one just like it was on display at Don Gaglits museum last year. They were created by RST and never came through Yenko Stinger program. Yenko had their design under development but never followed through. Yenko was using Corvette injection parts.

Rick Loving
Corvair historian & chronicler of useless facts
CORSA
Performance Corvair Group
Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts

RAL1963@COMCAST.NET
Just south of Chicago IL

Current Rides
63 Sprint Vert 140/4sp

Past Rides
66 Turbo Coupe 180/4sp
60 700 Sedan 80hp PG
63 Monza Vert 102hp 4 spd
63 Monza Coupe 140hp 4 spd
63 700 Sedan 80hp 3 spd
64 Monza Vert 110hp 4 spd
64 Monza Coupe 95hp 3 spd
64 Monza Sedan 110hp PG
65 500 Coupe 95hp 4 spd
65 Monza Coupe 110hp PG
65 Corsa Coupe 140hp 4 spd
68 Monza Vert 140hp 3 spd

Attachments:
Date: November 25, 2017 05:52AM

ral1963 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
"...
> The use of FI was allowed in Canadian circuits and
> a FI injected Corvair was already being raced
> there.

>
> The only "documented" Stage V engine prepped
> Stinger would be YS-104, a Canadian raced Stinger
> driven by Mo Carter.
..."
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<0>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Rick,
Ed Cunneen's Stinger Archive lists YS-104, Maurice "Mo" Carter's Stinger as having a "Stage IV" engine and also lists that Engine's T-code.
(Scroll way down on that page to the Canadian Stingers)

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: ral1963 ()
Date: November 25, 2017 07:07AM

So I guess the original question by American Mel needs to be clarified.

He asked ....while it was offered, no "Stage V" Stingers were actually ever ordered? ..

The Stinger was a prep level and engine level...so the argument could be that although the car was initially built as a Canadian legal racecar under the Stage IV engine prep, it did get upgraded and raced for a while under the Stage V engine prep level.

So if I have a Stage IV Stinger and later upgrade to a Stage V package...do I have a Stage IV or Stage V Stinger...

So the real historical question is.... did Mo Carter "order" the Stage 5 engine that was being developed for testing or did Yenko provide the Stage 5 setup for Mo to test and evaluate...

The Stage V configured engine prep was raced in YS-104 according to historical lore.

So if Mo ordered the Stage V engine upgrade for YS 104 (even if this was after the initial purchase" does it answer the question that "one" was ordered?

or should the question be... while it was offered, no "Stage V" Stingers were actually ever ordered? ..as part of the initial original build? and that answer would be presumably be no..

Rick Loving
Corvair historian & chronicler of useless facts
CORSA
Performance Corvair Group
Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts

RAL1963@COMCAST.NET
Just south of Chicago IL

Current Rides
63 Sprint Vert 140/4sp

Past Rides
66 Turbo Coupe 180/4sp
60 700 Sedan 80hp PG
63 Monza Vert 102hp 4 spd
63 Monza Coupe 140hp 4 spd
63 700 Sedan 80hp 3 spd
64 Monza Vert 110hp 4 spd
64 Monza Coupe 95hp 3 spd
64 Monza Sedan 110hp PG
65 500 Coupe 95hp 4 spd
65 Monza Coupe 110hp PG
65 Corsa Coupe 140hp 4 spd
68 Monza Vert 140hp 3 spd

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.