Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
To disc or not to disc
Posted by: Bobdudeman ()
Date: November 21, 2017 05:48AM

I'm sure this has been asked a lot. My 66 Corvair that I just purchased that's up at my dad's place turns out it has drums all the way around. The guy used to race it. Does anybody know the restrictions for converting disc for scca and autocross?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: To disc or not to disc
Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: November 21, 2017 12:30PM

Depends on which class you plan to run.

Running in ESP / FSP, or in CP can run disc brakes (follow the rules).

Running in HS (stock), cannot.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA
66 Autocrosser - FSP

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 21, 2017 12:42PM

Those racers here that run drums are satisfied with brake performance when running good shoes Metallics [ hard to find ] Kevlar and supposedly Porterfield makes a great compound..

Remember when shopping LM brakes are same year Chevelles just reversed...

Here's some Ceramics [www.musclecarbrakes.com]

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Leon ()
Date: November 21, 2017 01:39PM

I don't know if they're legal in stock class or not but the finned aluminum drums did wonders for brake fade on my car, and there are a couple sets of the Buick 9.5" front drums on eBay right now.

Star NC
1965 Monza Coupe, turbocharged 140/4spd, Carter AFB 4bbl, E-flow Crown turbo, water/meth injection, driver
1965 Corsa Coupe, 140/4spd, future project
1966 Monza Coupe, 110/4spd parts car
1966 Monza 'vert, 95/PG parts car
1985 Dodge W350 4dr turbocharged 440/4spd

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: November 21, 2017 01:54PM

Excellent advice so far. I love the discs on my 66 but my reason was more me being too lazy to make the drums work correctly, so far the drums on my 64 are behaving themselves, and if they become a problem, well, they see what happened to the misbehaving drums on the 66.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 21, 2017 03:34PM

[corvaircenter.com]

Food for thought, but they won't fit in stock 13" wheels. They need 14" or need to have some material removed.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: November 22, 2017 05:06AM

You really need to look at the rules if you want to race. 14" may not be legal! In SCCA road racing 13X7 and 15X7 is what is legal.

While there is lots of people that think the disc brake is Heaven sent they really don't stop any better. I have run the aluminum drums and they help if you don't have any ventilation in the backing plate.

Personally I run the stock steel drums using Carbotech brake shoes with ventilated backing plates FRONT and REAR and hoses running to the backing plates. For autocross you can do a little less as you generally don't brake repeatedly from upwards of 100 mph or plus.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: November 22, 2017 07:10AM

I use to be in the Disc only camp but after using really good linings on my 64 Street car and making sure the front end is tight I am pleasantly surprised how well they stop.
Disc are easier to maintain of course.
My 64 Racer will be running Drums as well.
Mike

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: November 22, 2017 08:13AM

My FSP 66 has stock drums, and unknown shoes. It is fine for local autocrosses- have not noticed any issues. Ran on the track at Hastings Motorsports park too- no problems there either.

Eric P
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: November 22, 2017 09:08AM

The linings for drum brakes are really expensive or hard to find. The stuff you get at an auto parts store are typically non-asbestos and suck. For road racing you really need the best you can get. Metallic, if you can even find them, or the ceramic Ken linked to.

I thought SCCA allowed one wheel size up from stock for the stock classes. Check to be sure. In vintage you can get away with a lot more.

Be careful about class. check the other cars in the class so you are sure you can be competitive with them. Some small mistake can bump you into a class you will never win. Racing is always fun but not so much finishing last.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.