Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
THE DREADED ENGINE OIL PAN
Posted by: beenzo2since71 ()
Date: November 20, 2017 02:59PM

I have tried it, seems everthing under our sun , but not this , it was suggested to use a new gasket ,the cork and rubber mix,then the secret is using white lithum grease, will this work ? thanks for your input , al

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: THE DREADED ENGINE OIL PAN
Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: November 20, 2017 03:11PM

Make sure your gasket surface, of pan, is flat, and that mounting holes are not "dished". Then...you should do better. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN!!!!

-m

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: November 20, 2017 03:22PM

My "trick" is make sure the pan is flat, especially where the bolts go. I cut my gaskets out of thicker cork/rubber material. I also use Gasket Shellac on both sides of both surfaces.

Because of the age and questionable threads, I use bolts 1/4" longer, with thread lock on them. Torque was applied 6 years ago by my 6 year old grandson. No leaks yet.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Date: November 20, 2017 03:24PM

What ViewMaster said, then drive it a few days then re-tighten using just a small 1/4 drive ratchet and snug 'em up.
May have to do that a couple times...

Oh,and make sure you've got all the old gasket piece off -s clean and flat on the case and pan.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: November 20, 2017 03:40PM

The cork nitrile gasket is our favorite (our pn U-4)

Then replace those grade 0 factory bolts with longer grade 5's and use flat and lock washers. Do not over tighten. The lock washers guarantee constant torque.

OUR 20% OFF BLACK AND WHITE SALE IS GOING ON NOW!

Lon Wall

Fireman Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad #25 #2
OCSRR.com
Fireman Sumpter Valley Railroad #3 and #19
svry.com
www.pacificmodelloggerscongress.com

Posted by: jasvair ()
Date: November 20, 2017 04:48PM

The oil pan gasket that I sell is the best one being offered by any of the vendors. It is a composite one that I have been for atleast 6 years. Just ask any of the racers and they will tell you. But remember you must make sure that the pan is flat and do dimpled holes. I have it listed on Ebay in my store.
John Sweet
John's Corvair parts

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: November 20, 2017 04:53PM

There is a nice piece to give better torque on the bolts. Check this thread for it. Looks really good.

[corvaircenter.com]

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: November 20, 2017 05:31PM

If you have a great and straight oil pan, then the thin original gasket and torquing the bolts to spec. works with a little gasket sealer. Today that's a rarity.

The thicker gasket with a LITTLE RTV will handle the irregularities, but you can't torque to spec. or the gasket will be squeezed out and leaks. If you tighten the bolts just enough not to distort the gasket, then the bolts come loose. Longer bolts with flat and lock washers works for me.

Posted by: redone76 ()
Date: November 21, 2017 07:38AM

I'm selling an oil pan reinforcement rail for $30 plus shipping. PM if interested

Attachments:

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: November 21, 2017 08:03AM

There is nothing wrong with oil pan. And, AFAIC, it does not need a reinforcement rail,

As noted, it has to be straight.

AND, the block surface needs to be unmarred.

After reading the multitude of solutions over numerous threads, I will add another solution used by a previous Corvair mechanic.

The mechanic used two GM paper gaskets glued together with 3M 77 Spray Adhesive - which was used on the pan and block. Torque bolts to 11 ft lbs. Might want to double check the torque for a couple oil changes.

YMMV

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2017 08:06AM by RobertC.

Posted by: TedBrown ()
Date: November 22, 2017 05:26AM

I think what Redone76 has done is the trick and why not support the little guy.

While doing a little research, I have found most Cars during and after our era offer after-market pan reinforcement rails for sale. I think I will give it a try, plus it well designed and will not distract from looks (if that is important to you).

I know some "never have leaks" but the only solution for a heavy daily driver so far has been the aluminum pan.

Ted Brown
Anderson, SC
"Been Leaking since 1984"

Date: November 25, 2017 05:30PM

well over thanksgiving break I had time to sneak in the garage and pull the pan, I do not have a hoist , so its lay on blankets under the trike, looking at engine and transaxle with proper lights, now my socalled pan leak is farther up, sticking a wire down the inspection hole the wire has some oil on the end . I'm thinking in 2011 I replaced the crank seal with nytrill, sooo I'm going to pull the engine and check that part out, let you know what I find, al

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 25, 2017 05:38PM

If front main seal...oil should be dripping from hole at bottom of bellhousing..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: November 25, 2017 05:49PM

matt/ on the vw trans end the hole is wet , I have noticed in the high gears my clutch does slip , on the tach it does rev up quick, thanks al

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 25, 2017 07:07PM

AHH forgot VW.... you got it I'm sure now..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.