home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Front suspension assembly help!!!
Posted by: vacorvairlover ()
Date: November 19, 2017 07:48PM

OK so I spent about 3 hours at my friend David's house pressing in new bushing and turning the hubs to fit my new disk brake kit. Today I have spent several hours powder coating the last couple of things and trying to put this fun thing back together. I'm stuck at the part where you install the long rod that bolts to the lower a-arm and has the big nut on the other end and a couple of bushings. Does anyone have any advice as to how to install that and the spring this is really kicking my but. Thanks in advance for the help.

John Garrison
Roanoke VA.
1964 corvair spyder convertable
1965 Corvair Monza 110 auto coupe soon to be my daily driver
2014 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi
2018 Re-designed Jeep Compass Trailhawk

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Front suspension assembly help!!!
Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: November 19, 2017 08:07PM

When installing the strut (brake reaction) rods, I put both nuts, bushings and spacer on the rod loosely assembled on the crossmember. Then bolt the other end securely to the lower control arm. Go back and position the outboard big but with 5/8" of strut rod threads showing. Tighten the inboard nut till the spacer is tight between the washers. This is a good starting point for caster.
As for the spring kicking your butt........that's a lil vauge.

'64 Monza Coupe 140 4 speed
'61 700 Lakewood 95 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 19, 2017 08:33PM

Use threaded rod and thick plates across the lower control arms to compress the springs. Much easier than the typical borrowed/rented spring compressors for big springs.thumbs up

See this thread:

[corvaircenter.com]

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: November 20, 2017 10:19AM

Brake reaction rods as Wagon Master says, then use a spring compressor like Frank says. Dave Motohead has a good video on the springs on his YouTube channel.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: rubenjay ()
Date: November 20, 2017 10:54PM

It took me around 5 hours to install mine for the first time. It's easier when you ask a mechanic to teach you a thing or two. I did that when I install my pro comp lift kit and it saves me hours for hard work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.