Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Re: Brake Shoes Rubbing Against Drums
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: November 22, 2017 05:10AM

If the bearings feel okay and the hold-down pins are correct, can you identify where the shoes are rubbing and just grind them down a bit?
Although the sides rubbing are a different topic, I'm having to do some grinding on new shoes with linings that are too thick.
Perhaps with the wheel off you can fix the drums with a few lugnuts turned backwards and check for rubbing through the suspension travel with a jack under the A-arm. It's probably happening at full droop. As I'm typing, it occured to me that the shock is what limits droop and some shocks are too long, some folks use a spacer between the shock and lower A-arm.
I haven't run into this problem, just sort of wondering what I would do.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Re: Brake Shoes Rubbing Against Drums
Posted by: RKF ()
Date: November 30, 2017 06:10PM

OK, while replacing the brake hardware today I observed that the drums are no longer rubbing against the shoes. The edge of the drums are now rubbing against the backing plate.

I am beginning to wonder if I have the correct drums for my Rampside.

While I had everything apart, I checked for lateral movement in the axles. There was no play in the drivers side axle and just a tiny bit of play in the passenger side axle, so I will assume that the problem is not in the axle bearings.

???

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.