Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
GEN FAN light on
Posted by: Jeff+Carrie63 ()
Date: November 19, 2017 06:34AM

Newby here, so beware of stupid questions.
Yesterday my GEN FAN light came on after starting the engine. Ever since I bought the car two weeks ago the light has been slow to go out and generally I have to get the RPMs up to start dimming and then go off. Yesterday it didn't go off. I repeatedly check the belt to make sure all is OK. Anyway, got to my destination which was just a few miles away and shut the engine off. Picked up a few things at the store and when I went to leave and start it up again, weak battery. Made it back home and tested the battery. It was low so I recharged it. GEN FAN light is still on. I don't have a manual yet.
Is it most likely a bad generator?
Where should I start?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: GEN FAN light on
Posted by: Leon ()
Date: November 19, 2017 06:42AM

Year of car please and if early generator or alternator.

Star NC
1965 Monza Coupe, turbocharged 140/4spd, Carter AFB 4bbl, E-flow Crown turbo, water/meth injection, driver
1965 Corsa Coupe, 140/4spd, future project
1966 Monza Coupe, 110/4spd parts car
1966 Monza 'vert, 95/PG parts car
1985 Dodge W350 4dr turbocharged 440/4spd

Date: November 19, 2017 07:24AM

Sorry. '63 Monza 900. Generator. Automatic.
Thanks!

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 19, 2017 08:22AM

See our STICKY FAQ's and POLARIZE the regulator. cheap and easy... gg

Then if that doesn't fix it... read "Motoring the Generator"

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 19, 2017 08:46PM

On GM Delco systems, you do not need to remove any wires to flash the field on a Delco generator. See page 8-16 of the 61 shop manual.

It is true one polarizes a generator, the regulator is purchased with the correct polarity and never changes in use. But, to make generator polarizing easy, with a short wire, ones does it at the regulator, since you just need a 6" piece of wire, AND no sparks at the battery that CAN ignite the oxygen/hydrogen mixture there with dire consequences.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 19, 2017 08:49PM

Yes, you need a 61 Shop Manual. It has all the trouble shooting advice you need, usually, on electrical charging and starting systems for earlies.

The Corvanatic's site has some online manuals you can look at until you get one to hold in your hands. Google corvanatics manuals.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: November 20, 2017 07:01AM

Thanks so much, gentleman. I really appreciate the input. I most definitely need to get the Corvair manual for '61 with the '63 supplement. In the meantime, I will check out the Corvanatics site. winking smiley
Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.