Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Major Shift
Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: November 18, 2017 07:48PM

Finally got all of the parts together, refurbished the shift tube assembly, and swapped 'er out! Best part was successfully getting past the recurring nightmare of potentially assembling everything and forgetting that big rubber boot!

All of the parts shown here (except the rubber) came from members of this forum. Plenty of help too to get the right parts for the 66+. Dave, Ken, Steve, and others too.

Also rebuilt the shift lever while I was at it. Using a tech tip from decades ago, pressed the pivot pins out and reversed them in the casting. Like new! Also a new tech tip: used a length of vacuum cleaner extension pipe to compress the spring and get that nasty little collar back in. Made the job a real snap - literally!

Just another story of going from butter churn to crisp shifting in one fine day!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2017 07:57PM by flat_six.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Major Shift
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 18, 2017 08:13PM

Life is good again!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: November 18, 2017 08:13PM

Nice work. I used the exact same thing to compress the spring on the ‘66 I used to own.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Oklahoma City, OK

Click for Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Forecast

Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: November 18, 2017 08:32PM

Here is the "before" picture. This upgrade was a double whammy because not only were the tube bushings shot (gone actually), there was no stabilizer rod. The brazed bracket had broken off, and someone had removed the rod and all of the hardware. It's a miracle this car could be shifted at all before today.

The shift tube I installed had custom bronze bushings that Corventure Dave's aircraft machinist brother made and pressed in. It works like a Swiss watch.

The stabilizer rod came from Ken and some small hardware (and a ton of help) came from Steve. Thanks again to everyone!

Oh - one more thing: Motohead's input shaft seal extraction method came through with flying colors! Get a drywall screw. Tap tap tap intil it pokes through the seal case, screw it in a few turns, use a vise-grip and pry that puppy out. Only four letter word needed was yess!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2017 08:34PM by flat_six.

Posted by: Ratt643 ()
Date: November 19, 2017 05:39AM

Nice work!

1964 Monza Coupe

Maryville, TN
U.S. 129 The"Tail Of The Dragon"

Date: November 19, 2017 07:36AM

Done up RIGHT! What a DELIGHT! smileys with beer

Nice to see the dedication in making the original design restored to perfection.
They really did know what they were doing, for the most part....

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: November 19, 2017 07:54AM

Learned the screw seal trick from my Dad before motohead was even born!!!

Posted by: gregb ()
Date: November 19, 2017 09:18AM

Great job! Mine was exactly the same on my Corsa when I got it. The bracket was broken and the linkage was gone. Some previous owner had drilled a couple more holes in the shifter housing and bolted it solid to the floor of the car. When I got the car the shifter was very stiff and almost impossible to get reverse. After pulling apart I found the shift shaft had bent to the point it was binding most likely due to the drive train movement and the shifter being bolted down. I did the rebuild same as you and it now shifts smoooooth as glass and all gears are easily found. The one thing I found after the car was on the road was how much the shifter moves as I am driving down the road like it should.

Gregb

Alberta Canada
61 Canadian Lakewood
62 Spyder Triple Black Convertible
65 Corsa Coupe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.