home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Sheet Metal Question
Posted by: MoxyRamone ()
Date: November 18, 2017 08:26AM

Has anyone ever used donor metal from a front wheel opening to repair a rear wheel opening?

On EM vert and coupe bodies, the front and rear look pretty similar. Like most early convertibles, my rear quarters are rusty around the wheel opening. Sadly, my parts car is rusty in the same spots. The front fenders are completely intact and I would love to use them to fix the rears.

Anyone done this before? Is it possible or just an optical illusion?

John Carver
Landrum, South Carolina

1964 Monza Convertible

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sheet Metal Question
Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: November 18, 2017 09:31AM

Since Clark's catalog only lists a replacement for the rear fender (area you are asking about), I would have to say they are different.

Actually think that the front piece is mostly straight while the rear piece curves under...

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: November 18, 2017 09:43AM

Optical illusion. Call California Corvairs and get good solid parts for a rust repair. You are going to need more metal than you think, since once you start cutting out the bad metal, and realize how far it extends, you will understand what I am referring to. The rust you can see usually extends twice as far into the metal that you can't see. Rust starts at the backside, and moves to the outside. If you remove the rectangular plastic plugs (I call them inspection covers) that are located in the upper corners of the body near the engine lid hinges, and peer into that cavity, you will see what I am referring to. There is a vertical shelf there that holds dirt and moisture, and you will find a lot more rust than you can believe. Even the upper corners of the engine compartment can rust, and that is even more difficult to repair.

Date: November 18, 2017 09:53AM

To clarify: I wasn't planning on doing a direct splice. I was just going to cut sections out to make patch panels. No more than four or five inches a patch.

John Carver
Landrum, South Carolina

1964 Monza Convertible

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 18, 2017 10:38AM

Yes, that may be the "plan", but Junkman is correct.
If you only have a 3 inch rust hole in your wheel well, then you probably have 9 inches of rusty metal on the backside of that hole.
There is on paint inside, and once there, the cancer spreads fast and far ! ! !
Cal. Corvairs will get you what ever piece you need, and so does DAVE MOTOHEAD.

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Date: November 18, 2017 10:52AM

Thanks guys. I know the "tip of the iceberg" rule. I am a professional collision repair technician. I am mostly dealing with pinholes but I know how bad the rust can be on the inside.

I will email the Corvair Ranch and get a quote for both quarter panels.

John Carver
Landrum, South Carolina

1964 Monza Convertible

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: November 18, 2017 11:45AM

By doing a quickie search on craigslist, I found the following that could be useful.....maybe, maybe not. Just a thought.

The below are probably close enough to you to actually go look at but I am confident that Jeff at the Corvair can help meet your needs too.

[greenville.craigslist.org]
EM Coupe $600.00 about 45 minutes away?

[charlotte.craigslist.org]
EM Vert $450.00 about an hour and a half away but appears to be in rougher shape.
The bright side is I see several other Corvairs in the photo, maybe the seller could have other parts?

1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Attachments:

Date: November 18, 2017 11:58AM

The coupe is close, but the owner seems to think it's a restorable classic and seems reluctant to part it out. Maybe he's changed his mind as the car has been reduced several times and hasn't sold in three months. The vert is a bit of a drive but I think they would take $200 if I offered. It's in junk shape though and I bet it's rusty just where mine is as well.

John Carver
Landrum, South Carolina

1964 Monza Convertible

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: November 18, 2017 01:01PM

Convertible quarters seem to rust more than the coupes. The internal structure of the convertible I believe is different that that of the coupe.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.