Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Upper ball joint removal
Posted by: Nelson ()
Date: November 18, 2017 08:20AM

How hard is it to remove and install a upper ball joint on a 63 monza convertible?

Thanks
Toronto Ontario Canada

Nelson Santos
Toronto Ontario Canada 🇨🇦

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Upper ball joint removal
Posted by: Dave Decker ()
Date: November 18, 2017 08:44AM

IIRC, you drill or grind off the rivets holding the old ball joints on, and bolts the new ones on.... Cheers, Dave

Dave, Kamloops, B.C. '65 Crown V8, 2017 Mazda CX3

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 18, 2017 08:53AM

That is the "process", but does not address the difficulty.
Sorry Nelson, I have no experience on this one.
Can't help you there.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - 140 4-spd. driver

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: November 18, 2017 09:37AM

Ease or difficulty, depends on the type of tools that you have. If you have a air powered chisel, it is very easy to blow the heads of the rivets off, and then drive the rest of the rivet down with a punch and hammer. If all you have is a hammer and cold chisel, it is more difficult, but also doable, depending on how good your aim is with the hammer. It hurts when you hit your hand with the hammer, instead of the head of the chisel. I have known people that will drill a hole in the top of the rivet first, to weaken it, so chiseling it off is easier.
How are the upper control arm bushings? If they need to be replaced, now would be the time to do that also, and it is a lot easier to work on the a arm when it is off the car. Performing any task that is rated as easy or difficult, depends on experience and knowledge. You need both to be successful. It is one of those jobs that is difficult to mess up, but can take a long time, or can go quickly. You never know. I fought with a lower ball joint trying to get it out for over an hour with a cheap ball joint press. In the end, it was faster to remove the lower control arm, and use a stationary press to take it out, and install the new.

Date: November 18, 2017 12:42PM

Thank you so much for the replies and will be using my air chisel
Does the the upper ball joint have to be pressed in ? And I will doing the bushings on the A arm as well

Nelson Santos

Date: November 18, 2017 12:57PM

Upper gets bolted in. A arm bushings need to be pressed in. Some do it with a vise, others use a press, and I have seen some people beat them in with a hammer and pipe. Just depends on how you want to do it. The important thing is to not damage the control arm.

Date: November 18, 2017 01:46PM

Thank you so much junkman for your input

Nelson Santos

Date: November 18, 2017 04:41PM

As a side note, I am replacing the upper control arm in my 1962 Chevrolet, since somewhere along the line, the bushings were "hammered" out. This spread the ear of the arm just enough that the new busing was failing. Now, the best way to get the old bushings out, is to cut them down to the shaft 180 degrees apart, without cutting into the shaft. Then, using a large pair of pliers, you collapse the two cuts inward, and then push the bushings out. A cut off wheel or Dremmel work best. It isn't the easiest thing to do, but it is the safest way if you don't want to damage your control arm. I am sure that others also have their favorite methods, that work well for them. To me, the best method is the one that you are most comfortable doing, with the best results.

Posted by: red monza ()
Date: November 18, 2017 04:42PM

Jack the front end up
Remove wheel and tire
Take cotter pin out of upper ball joint stud
Try and loosen nut about 4 turns or so
If the upper arm comes down with ball joint those 4-5 turns...that is good.
Stop....now jack up lower arm to take the pressure off of the upper ball joint
finish unscrewing the ball joint nut
I usually grind the rivets out with a die grinder
Raise up the upper A arm
Remove the upper ball joint
Install new one with bolts and nuts
Install the ball joint stud into the spindle and tighen about 40lbs I think it is.Check the torque settings...I think I am too low.
Install new cotter pin or old one if good.

If the nut/ball joint does not drop down at first, use a good size hammer and hit the spindle on the side where the ball joint stud enters it....may have to hit it about 3-4 times before it lets go. Will make a bang when it drops.

No need to remove upper A arm if the bushings are okay....I have seen the bushings with cracks but the area around the critical area was still very nice.

Date: November 18, 2017 06:09PM

Thank you so much junkman for response and sharing your knowledge, however I still one last question for you .... does the alignment have to be done after ball joint replacement or is it just when u do the tie rods ?
Thanks in advance

Nelson Santos

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 18, 2017 06:16PM

After changing ANY component in the suspension.... alignment should be checked...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.