Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 9 of 16
Re: Glenn Corvair Restoration
Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: May 25, 2018 11:20AM

Looks like rust in the typical places. The interior back seat side panel areas will be the most complicated to deal with I would think. Good progress!!

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Other fun car: Porsche 911 GT3
Boring daily drivers
Northern Colorado, USA

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: May 25, 2018 12:38PM

Vairy nice Bill! I'd love to take one down that far. Maybe my Rampy.

Enjoy!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer <-new title
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: whubbell ()
Date: May 25, 2018 12:40PM

Overall I was pleased with the condition of the body. There is no structural rust and we did not find anything I didn’t already know about. The Shop I chose to deal with the body is more than capable of dealing with the known issues.

Take a look at this work Kyle did on this Jaguar parked next to my car.

Bill Hubbell,
President, Stock Corvair Group

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2018 12:45PM by whubbell.

Attachments:

Date: May 25, 2018 02:30PM

They started work on the floors today. First they carefully measured and then removed the cross bracing for the seats, in preparation for repairing the floor pan. This reveals a few additional areas of rust to be repaired.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: May 25, 2018 02:36PM

The next process involves making patches to modify the aftermarket sedan floor panels so they will exactly duplicate the Convertible floor pan. You can see the modifications to the outboard ribs in the photos.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Posted by: corvairtherapy ()
Date: May 28, 2018 03:51PM

Bill, I have been slowly removing all the engine tin to clean out the mouse house that's there. I noticed these summer/winter block off plates. There is one on each side and they are perfectly flat, no protruding bracket to slightly open the flapper door. I have never seen these before, does your car have them? I'm not all that familiar with air conditioned cars but this one seems to be completely intact and original was far as I know. Which brings up a question: Should it have a harmonic balancer on it? It is a 110 H.P. engine, I thought all 110's had them but again,A/C? Mine has a steel pulley on it with the steel pulley for the compressor belt. I kinda think that a harmonic balancer would off set the belts too much. Any insight on this? I haven't forgotten about the rubber pieces you want pictures of, I just haven't had the car completely uncovered to see if the top will go down enough to take them.
Dave.. .
Rats! can't attach picture without a URL, send me your Email addy and I'll send it there.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: May 28, 2018 06:17PM

Dave, you do not have to have a URL to attach a picture.
If it is already in your computer, just click the BLUE words, "Attach a file ..."

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Attachments:
Date: May 28, 2018 06:39PM

Dave, yes, those are the correct summer/winter block off plates for early model A/C cars. Also, yes, all 164 cid 110hp engines (1964 and later) use a harmonic balancer - even the A/C engines. An additional cast iron pulley for the compressor is bolted to the central hub of the Harmonic Balancer and a longer bolt secured both of them to the crankshaft.

Earlier year A/C engines did not use harmonic balances, however. You didn’t say what year your car was.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: May 30, 2018 06:17PM

Mel thanks for the info, I was clicking on the photo icon. Who said old dudes can't learn new tricks?

Date: May 30, 2018 06:22PM

Bill, good info, thanks! I thought you might have remembered, I have the same car, 1964 Monza convertible, factory air, 4 spd, limited slip differential, AM-FM radio and those rubber thingies in the top well sides you want pictures of. Only difference is mine is for sale and is not restored.GGGG
Dave.. .

Date: May 30, 2018 08:29PM

My quest to retain as much of the original car as possible has led me into Crazy Town - cleaning up the old hardware in preparation for re-plating it.

Pictured here is the first box of cleaned hardware (Rear Suspension Front Suspension, and Steering) with at least another box to go.

I was fortunate that the car came apart easily and there was very little rust or other damage to most of the hardware, so I am comfortable re-using most of it, but it is a lot of work (and $$) to restore it. Every part needs to be cleaned - first with the wire wheel, then a quick acid dip to remove any remaining rust, then rinse with water, another quick wire brushing to remove the remaining acid residue, then bag it until ready for plating, at which point it will first get a degreasing wash.

I will not be reusing critical hardware if there is any indication of damage, but the plan is to reuse as much as possible to maintain the originality of the car - so even if it is restored I can still claim the parts are original.

Obviously I can't save everything, but I save what I can!

Also here is a photo of some more restored suspension parts

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: May 30, 2018 08:45PM

Also, I've started getting parts back from the powder coater - so far I have most of the front and rear suspension pieces and they look great! Here is a photo of a front upper and lower control arm and one coil spring. I'll take more photos when I start to assemble it, but first I need to get the hardware restored (see previous post). So tell me, guys, does it really look all that bad?

Yes, I am crazy enough to return the original springs to the car. It was riding and driving well enough with them before I disassembled it, so I will re-use them (that whole original parts thing, ya know?). It's also going to get spiral shocks, so, well, you know - stock and all that. What's the worst that could happen - I end up having to replace the springs sometime? At least it should be easy to do with all fresh newly coated (but original!) hardware!!!smileys with beer

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: June 04, 2018 04:35PM

Ugh - not a good day. I went over to a club member's shop to press in the control arm bushings today and it did not go well.

I had all the correct tools (spacers, etc.) and I did manage to get bushings correctly installed in one front lower control arm and both upper control arm, but then THIS happened!

I only then belatedly discovered that the ram on the press was warped off-center so the press was cocking the bushings when I was pressing them in. I am lucky that I was able to get this one back out and did not do any permanent damage to the control arm, but needless to say it soured me on doing any further car work for the rest of the day.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: June 04, 2018 04:46PM

Oh my!

My luck!

I usually stop for the day when stuff like this happens!

Keep at it your doing a fantastic job!

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
In the Beautiful state of
North/East KY!

Not the best pic, but the only I had from then, 1997!

2016!

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: June 04, 2018 04:57PM

Oops! I don't envy you...my suspension assembly was a real PITA project...almost as challenging as the disassembly!

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Other fun car: Porsche 911 GT3
Boring daily drivers
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 04, 2018 05:01PM

Bummer!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: June 05, 2018 04:23PM

SUCCESS!!smileys with beer

After yesterday's disaster with a cockeyed hydraulic press I decided to try a different approach to installing the bushings in the rear control arms today.

First photo shows the finished product - IT WORKED!!

Second photo shows the tools I used:
    [*] Control Arm Spacer (Clark's)
    [*] Control Arm Bushing Spacers (made from pipe)
    [*] (1) 7/16-20 x 2" Grade 8 Bolt
    [*] (1) 7/16-20 x 1 1/4" Grade 8 Bolt
    [*] (5) 7/16' flat washers
    [*] (4) good used rear control arm bushing washers
    [*] (1) 1 3/8" ID x 3" steel pipe
    [*] (I) large Hammer
    [*] Wrench

Next post I will detail the process

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: June 05, 2018 04:45PM

Here is the rear control arm installation process:

[*] Loose fit both bushings in the control arm, capturing the cross-shaft in between them
    [*] Attach one large bushing washer and one standard bushing bolt through one bushing. Screw the bolt into the shaft and tighten gently
    [*] Oil the shaft of the 2" bolt, then attach one large bushing washer, one flat washer, and the 2" bolt through the other bushing and tighten into the shaft just enough to take up all slack. Check to make sure bushings are lined up properly
    [*] Insert the Control Arm Spacer and Bushing Spacers into the control arm
    [*] Start tightening the bolts. This will draw the bushings into the control arm
    [*] The standard bolt will bottom out first - leave it alone from here on out
    [*] The longer bolt will bottom out - remove it, oil the shaft, add some washers, re-insert and tighten again.
    [*] When the 2" bolt becomes "too long", switch to the 1 1/4" bolt.
    [*] Keep repeating the process of inserting the bolt until it bottoms, removing it, adding washers, etc., until you can go no further
    [*] At this point. both bushings are about 90% inserted. Remove both bolts and all washers
    [*] Place the Pipe over one bushing and give it a couple of taps with the hammer to fully seat it.
    [*] Repeat the pipe and hammer for the other side
    [*] Remove the Control Arm and Bushing Spacers
    [*] You're done!

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: June 05, 2018 04:50PM

Progress on the floor repair. The shop dog approves!

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: June 12, 2018 06:13PM

A dent removed, a floor repaired, some parts assembled, some $$$$ spent sad smiley

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Current Page: 9 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.