Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 21 of 26
Re: Glenn Corvair Restoration
Posted by: whubbell ()
Date: October 30, 2019 06:56PM

In the meantime, I was working on the Air Conditioning system. I sent the Compressor, Receiver/Dryer, and Evaporator core to an outside vendor for reconditioning while I worked on the other parts. Here are some photos of the results

First photo - parts I sent out for reconditioning

Second Photo - Compressor Before and After Note we left the original foil label with the part and serial number on the compressor.

Third photo - Receiver/Dryer after reconditioning

Bill Hubbell,
President, Stock Corvair Group

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 30, 2019 06:58PM

Here is the Evaporator. After I got back the reconditioned Core and Expansion valve, I inserted them into the case which I had previously reconditioned, including my own hand-cut rubber gaskets. Again, I left the original labels on the case.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:
Date: October 30, 2019 07:08PM

Now on to reconditioning the Control unit/air diffuser. The cases have yellowed over the years, taking on a brownish-yellow color; originally they were a light beige, almost grey. You can clearly see the original color if you open them up and look inside or look under the emblems or bezels - anywhere not exposed to UV light.

To return the color to its original state, I used a process gleaned from the antique computer restoration hobby, called "Retrobrite". Basicially, you coat the parts in high-strength (40%) Hydrogen peroxide, cover them in clear plastic (so it won't evaporate) and place them out in bright sunlight for about an hour and Voila! - the parts are bleached back to their original color. Of course, if they keep getting exposed to UV they will over time probably revert to yellowing again, but at least for now they look great!

The easiest way to find 40% H2O2 is to buy hair salon cream!

Here are some photos of the process and some before and after photos

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: October 30, 2019 07:10PM

Another before and after photo of the A/C case, and two photos of the restored case compared with an unrestored (aged) case.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: October 30, 2019 07:15PM

eye popping smiley
thumbs up

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Date: October 30, 2019 07:20PM

In June, the body shop painted the car gloss black. This was done as a final prep step to ferret out any remaining defects in the body work Afterwards there was even more blocking and sanding, and, of course, all of the gloss had to be roughed up before the final coat could be applied. They were afraid to let me see the car in black for fear I might change my mind and want to keep it that way, but I was strong and resisted the temptation.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: October 30, 2019 07:25PM

Here are a couple more shots of the car in black. They've started blocking and sanding again

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: October 30, 2019 07:39PM

Finally, in early July, they had completed the block sanding of the exterior and began to apply final colors. They began by applying brush-on seam sealer in the same factory-sloppy style, using my "before" photos as a guide. This was painful for them, as they like to make "perfect" cars, but we all understood that we were aiming for a historical look, at least to a certain extent, so that's what we did.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: October 30, 2019 07:44PM

The first area to get final color was the floor of the interior. This was originally just left in red primer and then got some overspray from later operations. However, because the car had been sandblasted and you can never be certain of absolutely getting all of the sand out, we opted to paint the least visible (and most potentially sand-prone areas) first, and then cover them during later operations so as not to risk fouling the other areas. This meant that we would only apply the red color and skip the overspray in this area. I decided that would be OK since it will never be seen anyway, once the interior parts are installed.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: October 30, 2019 07:56PM

Next up was the underbody - also painted red primer color. However, because this would be visible, I did insist that it be allowed to get overspray during the final coating. I'll show you photos of that result later on.

For now, just enjoy the spectacle of painting the car upside down!

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: October 30, 2019 08:07PM

The Engine compartment was the next item to receive paint. This was the easy one - just simple satin black. Still looks nice, though!

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:
Date: October 30, 2019 08:24PM

Next up was the trunk Here is where Ryan, the painter, really showed off his skill. He knew that I wanted the paint to look right - the way the factory did it, and not like that stuff that comes out of a spray can. Well, he really pulled it off, I think. No, he is not willing to give up his secret!

By the way, these were taken when the paint was still a bit wet, so it looks glossy. It dried to a flatter sheen.

Bill Hubbell,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2019 08:25PM by whubbell.

Attachments:

Date: October 30, 2019 08:32PM

Speaking of Ryan, I'd run up against a roadblock trying to reproduce the original color and sheen of the oil pans and valve covers (they were originally Tern Plated, but nobody does that anymore), so I asked Ryan if he could do it.

Here is the result. I think he nailed it!

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: October 30, 2019 08:43PM

While he was painting my car, I was still working on small stuff - organizing parts into boxes, checking hardware, etc. I broke out the plating kit an plated a bunch of small parts, including a re-do of the tower clamps because I wasn't satisfied with the first effort. I also cleaned up, body-worked, and painted a Delco-Remy cover for my voltage regulator.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: October 30, 2019 08:48PM

Additional work commenced on the numerous other small jobs, including flushing and then sealing the A/C pipes and Condenser, cleaning and regreasing the steering wheel bearing, and assembling the transaxle.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: October 30, 2019 08:53PM

Here is the assembled transaxle. I purchased a new high-stall Torque Converter - should help with the load of the A/C compressor I installed the original shims in the original locations between the cross transmission cross shaft and transmission.

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: October 30, 2019 09:05PM

Back at the body shop, the interior colors were being applied - Doors, dash, rear quarters. This is the correct color for Fawn interior on my car.

First - the glossy parts - Doors, Seat trim, rear quarter (shown here with some of the upholstery parts I built up last winter)

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: October 30, 2019 09:07PM

The Steering wheel gets two colors - the darker was applied first, then the lighter.

That's Kyle Yocum, owner of the shop working on my car's body, holding the finished wheel

Bill Hubbell,

Attachments:

Date: October 30, 2019 09:12PM

The dash and steering column are flat. We also painted the cardboard kick panels to match, as well as the radio housing, dash trim, etc. The dash will get mostly covered with a pad, however.

Note that this photo of the dash was taken while paint was still wet - it did flatten out when fully dried.

Steering column is shown after I assembled it - using the bearing I rebuilt in the earlier post. You can clearly see the paint on the column is quite flat, just like it was originally.

Bill Hubbell,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2019 09:13PM by whubbell.

Attachments:

Date: October 30, 2019 09:45PM

And finally...

Then main body of the car was painted its final color (Meadow Green) about 10 days ago. I wasn't permitted to see it for a full week, as Kyle and crew wanted to make it perfect for me. But I finally got to view it two days ago, and actually was allowed to start putting some parts on the underside of the car!!

So, I will post some photos, but I have to warn you that they do not do justice to either the tone or depth of the color and beauty of the paint. For one thing, the car is so reflective and the color so light that in photographs you see a lot of reflected color from nearby objects. Also, the iPhone cameral averages out the exposure which reduces the hue.

When you see it in person, however, the color is really the correct Meadow Green, but it is stunningly beautiful - something I never thought I would say about this color.

Anyway, I will close by posting a bunch of photos and just let you know that I will be busy for the next several weeks working on the car. I will take lots of photos, but I may not post them right away on this forum - it is too much work to downsize them and to be restricted to 3 photos per post. I will likely keep the Facebook posts up to date, however, so I encourage you to visit that site.

By the way, that's the painter, Ryan, in these next three photos

Bill Hubbell,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2019 09:46PM by whubbell.

Attachments:

Current Page: 21 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.